Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by gjdale - FINISHED - 1/48 - Cross-Section

Hi Grant, I have been so busy with my own build and focusing on the other Endeavour builds, I have forgotten to check on the other builds I have been following. When I clicked on your build I was amazed to see the progress you have made. You are doing an amazing job. The attention to detail is fantastic.

You are becoming master craftsmen before our eyes.

Thanks Mike,

I'll have another update soon but when I went to upload some photos today, I discovered that our hard drive is full (of downloaded movies). Will have to do some cleanup before posting - most likely next weekend.

Grant,

What is more important: Movies or Model building ... So that will define the required space on your harddisk ... Maybe a bigger disk is in order ... or add one ... double the fun ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

We have an external hard drive, bought specifically for this purpose. Just need to convince the Admiral that she needs to move more of her movie collection to it.............. Yeah, I know, good luck with that! ;)

Grant, I have an external HD (1-TB) dedicated to my photos and MSW articles/logs. I upload directly from it and don't use the built-in HD on my laptop for MSW at all. Let the Admiral have the internal HD and you use the external HD.

Don't know why it should be a problem Grant. I do the same thing with my external HD that only holds a Terabyte. Just have to plug it in when I want access to it. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Grant,

Just one thing to remember ... don't let the internal disk fill up to it's maximum ... you'll end up with a 'frozen' PC ...

P.s. 2 TB ain't much for movie storage ...

Carl

Thanks Carl - been there, done that with a laptop once before. I have no desire to repeat the experience!

I've been away all week with work, but in my absence the Admiral very kindly cleaned up the hard disk so that I could upload my photos. So here is a slightly overdue update.

Upper Deck Planking and Bulwark Lining

The upper deck was next to be installed.  Once again 3/16” x 1/16” Holly was used for the deck planks, with one edge darkened with a 2B pencil to simulate the caulking. I prefer the more subtle effect the pencil caulking gives.  Treenails were fitted using the drill and fill method.  The only issue here was that having done lots of testing for treenail filler earlier in the build I was a bit tired and was therefore too lazy to check back through the log to ensure I was using the right one, trusting to memory instead – big mistake! I subsequently used the wrong compound, and then had to re-drill before checking and then using the correct compound.  I gave the deck a coat of Wipe-on-Poly to protect it from the inevitable “pink dust” that was about to be created with the Bulwark liner installation.

Redheart was used for the Spirkiting and the Bulwark liner.  The two strakes of spirkiting are 1/16” thick and the lower strake needs to be shaped to fit against the angled waterway.  This was achieved in the same way as the waterway angle, by using a small hand plane. The upper strake was also angled to provide a smooth transition to the 1/32” thick bulwark lining.  This upper strake also had to be cut to fit around the lower edges of gunports and sweep ports.

After some consideration and discussion with my build buddy (Mobbsie), I decided to install “iron bolts/nails” in the Spirkiting/Lining using the same method of copper nails, blackened with Liver of Sulphur, as shown previously.

Here is a picture showing the completed deck and the spirkiting/lining drilled and ready to accept the iron bolts.

post-242-0-76905800-1437773180_thumb.jpg

Once the bolts were installed and blackened, the sprikiting/lining was given two coats of Wipe-on-Poly. The following photos were taken after the first coat had been applied.  The lighting conditions don’t really do it justice – it does look a little more red to the naked eye.

post-242-0-57711000-1437773192_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-65130800-1437773203_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-03220400-1437773216_thumb.jpg

Hi Grant. Very nicely done!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Lovely Grant.  Your wood choices and building technique are great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very interesting contrasts created by your choice of materials.

And thanks to your Admiral !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Grant,

Nice to see the update mate, it's worth the wait. the Decking and the Bulwarks look really good.

I'm still playing catch-up, I have yet to drill and fill the Bulwarks but that shouldn't take long. I'll do that sometime this weekend, then it's onto the hull planking, that should be fun.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Two thumbs up for your craftsmanship. The section is a beauty. And kudoes to your Admiral for the HD cleanup. :10_1_10:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Dammit Grant, where have you been hiding? I just found this build log  :blush:  :D  . I've just had a quick look through the entire thing and I'm VERY impressed - Scratch Building is fun isn't it :D ?

You've got my juices running again. I wasn't going to do another Full Frame model, but after looking through this log I've decided on another project after the two I've already committed to - a Cross Section of Vulture's midsection. This would make a nice accompaniment to her in the Port Macquarie Maritime Museum :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hey Danny,

Welcome to the party! Glad to see you made it over. :)

Mark is tending the bar (as usual), and Sjors occasionally drops by with the popcorn, so make yourself comfortable. :)

A cross section of Vulture would be a great project for you. I'll look forward to following your log.

The shipyard has been closed for most of the weekend as we mourn the passing of the Shipyard Supervisor, Sam the Chocolate Labrador. After a lengthy battle with pharyngeal paralysis over the last year, Sam was put to sleep by our Vet on Saturday morning.  He went peacefully, in his favourite bed in the sun in our family room, with the Admiral and I by his side. We miss him terribly but remember fondly the 13 years of love and devotion he gave us. I thought I would share a few photos of my best mate and shadow for so long.

Sam came to us as a one-year-old pup:

post-242-0-60661500-1438518016_thumb.jpg

It didn't take him long to work out that the most comfortable seat in the house was mine.  Here he is, a couple of years ago, aged 12:

post-242-0-13572200-1438518021_thumb.jpg

More recently, at the grand old age of 14, he's had a young playmate for company and he's been very tolerant of her:

post-242-0-26100900-1438518035_thumb.jpg

They liked to share the sunshine together:

post-242-0-36447100-1438518029_thumb.jpg

I miss him like crazy, but will always smile when I think of him with those doleful eyes and the tail that never stopped wagging.

You have our deepest sympathy, Grant.  These quiet friends weave their way into the fabric of our family and share our lives everyday.  It looks as if he had wonderful surroundings and a lot of love.  Can't ask for much more.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Really sorry about your losing your family friend Grant. I've been there all too many times myself, and to me, it's one of the hardest and heartbreaking things there is to do in life. You have my sympathies. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Grant I'm sorry for your loss but happy that you have so many great memories of your beloved mate. It still amazes me how our pets work their way into our hearts and how much it saddens us when its their time to go. My best to you.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I'll echo Augie and George, Grant. Been in that movie a time or two myself. You'll see you buddy over that Rainbow Bridge one day. :( :(

Just remember: a dog is unconditional love wrapped up in fur. ;):)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Grant,

You have my sympathies as well.  I feel the sorrow but also the joy of knowing Sam.   Dogs just aren't a pet, they're family.  Many times better than family. 

Remember the good times with Sam... those are what count.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Grant, I echo everyone else's comments - so sad. I've been down that road a few times myself.

Love the pics of Sam and the cat. We have the same combination - a Maltese/Jack Russel named Ziggy and his 7 month old best mate named Pud who you may remember tried to learn more about my Vulture from the inside :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Grant, been away from the sight for a few days, just catching up. I echo everyone else's comments as well. I've lost two Corgis in the past few years, so I know the loss you are feeling. My sympathies to you and your family.

Grant,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. As some others, I to have been traveling that road and know the hardships, and the pain. It is good to have happy memories, I still can get very emotional when I think about my last horse ... I presume a dog is even closer, for me that is probably to long ago ... All the best to you and your family

Carl