Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do You enjoy Rigging your ship?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

@RedDawg. I noticed in your Thermo you have all the central rigging but no shrouds. Did you do it in that order on purpose? I think this way is more likely that some of the rigging interferes with the correct laying of the shrouds. Just a thought.

• mtaylor and azzoun like this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

RedDawg

RedDawg
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach Florida
Ulises, I had started rigging the shrouds but the deadeyes were falling apart and then to make matters worse I was around twenty to thirty short. So I ordered some three mm from Ages of sail, but they sent me five mm instead. So I decided that as I'm going to order the triangular deadeyes that are on the Sovereign poster, that I will reorder for the Thermopylae again. I have a build out of my own imagination that I've started so the five mm will be used for it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by RedDawg, 05 June 2016 - 07:48 PM.

• mtaylor, Ulises Victoria and EJ_L like this

toms10

toms10
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

I have only rigged one ship so far but I did enjoy it.  After working on the hull for a year it was a welcome change.  I think the rigging is what gives a model the "wow" factor.

Tom

• mtaylor, Modeler12, Marcus Botanicus and 3 others like this

Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure.

Current build: HMS Leopard, scratch 1:85
Completed build:  Constellation AL Kit, scale - 1:85

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN, USA
LOVE doing this.
The best part.
Marc
  • hollowneck, mtaylor, cristikc and 2 others like this
Commission for my sister: Cape Cod Catboat

On hold: Fairing the frames Statenjacht 'Utrecht'
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman; the yacht 'Heemskerck'
Future: 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships; Boyer, Galliot, Kaag, & Pink (1:48)

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Malcolm G

Malcolm G
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth New Zealand

Rigging my first build. Slow and huge learning curve. But every block and tackle completed is a good feeling.  

Malcolm

• mtaylor, Modeler12 and EJ_L like this

Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationBrentsville Va.usa

Hi all,

I myself have a love, hate relationship with rigging. That being said, I build fantasy ships so there are no rules I have to follow, except maybe the basics. I am always in awe of the rigging I see on this site, which makes me try to do better on my builds.

Hopefully someday my skill level will allow me to rig a ship correctly, then I will see how I really feel about rigging...lol

Keith

• mtaylor, Rick01 and EJ_L like this

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

hollowneck

hollowneck
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationStratford, Connecticut

In a somewhat strained metaphor to "rubber meeting the road", I believe rigging is where the "cloth meets the wind." And, "knowing the ropes" means harnessing the forces that makes a sailing ship, a ship.

I believe spending the effort to detail accurate rigging on one's model is when a sailing ship truly comes alive. It's one of my favorite tasks!

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• ARfocsleSTBDLR.jpg

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, cristikc and 13 others like this

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

In reading all the posts in this thread, it is obvious that the vast majority of us ship builders do enjoy the part of the rigging.

On a side thought, it is hard to believe that the whole operation and in some cases the life of such majestic man creations, was dependent almost totally upon the humble hemp rope.

Cheers

Ulises

• hollowneck, mtaylor, CaptainSteve and 5 others like this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

EJ_L

EJ_L
  • Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

Ulises,

You bring up a good point in saying that the life of a ship was largely dependent upon such a simple thing. It is crazy to think that without this simple item of rope, ships for thousands of years were in a way just floating pile of timber no better than a simple rowboat.

I think that from reading through this thread that the enjoyment of rigging isn't always so much in the actual act of rigging but in both the relief of having completed hundreds of hours of hull planking, carving, and furniture building and can now do something else, as well as the awe factor that a ships rigging inspires. Miles of rope that to the average person looks like a confusing tangle that no one could understand is actually what allowed ships to perform. To ship enthusiasts this is comparable to engines in sports cars. This is the power and control of a ship. I think that is why so may of us enjoy rigging. We are building the engines of our ships and bringing them to life.

• hollowneck, mtaylor, Ulises Victoria and 7 others like this

"Anchors Aweigh"

-E.J.

Current Builds - La Couronne - Corel &  Le Soleil Royal - Sergal

Completed - Wood - Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

cristikc

cristikc
  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationBucharest

Is one of the parts i enjoy a lot.

• mtaylor and Elijah like this

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

On Hold:         HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

homer

homer
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Hollowneck / Ron  your ship display platforms are absolutely beautiful! I looked at your gallery and was very impressed. You are very talented. I'm currently working on the CW Morgan and plan on doing some inlay work when I make the display board - still some time off. If you ever made notations on your display board build process I'd love to see them. Take care. Homer/Ron

• mtaylor, Landlubber Mike and Elijah like this

Current Build:

Charles W. Morgan - 1:64 - Model Shipwayshttp://modelshipworl...64/#entry282430

Past Builds:

HMS Greyhound - 1:100 Scale by Corel - http://modelshipworl...20/#entry264094

Corsair - 1:80 Scale by Occre  http://modelshipworl...e-180/?p=259481

HMS Bounty - 1:48 Scale by Artesania Latina - http://modelshipworl...ge/9554-bounty/

homer

homer
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Hollowneck,

Ps....Happy Birthday!!!

Current Build:

Charles W. Morgan - 1:64 - Model Shipwayshttp://modelshipworl...64/#entry282430

Past Builds:

HMS Greyhound - 1:100 Scale by Corel - http://modelshipworl...20/#entry264094

Corsair - 1:80 Scale by Occre  http://modelshipworl...e-180/?p=259481

HMS Bounty - 1:48 Scale by Artesania Latina - http://modelshipworl...ge/9554-bounty/

JerryTodd

JerryTodd

Scale Sailor

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park Maryland USA

Actually rigging the vessel's great, but making things like chain-plates and bullseyes for a working model is not my favorite thing.  Making blocks is ok, even with working sheaves (since I buy brass sheaves and don't typically have to make them).  I'm not a fan of walking rope either, but in the diameters and lengths I usually need I don't have much to choose from; I've yet to find a source of 1/8" or 3/16" diameter line made from Dacron polyester which is what the standing rigging on my models typically is.

Glad that's off my chest - I feel better  ;)

Edited by JerryTodd, 15 June 2016 - 12:03 AM.

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve and EJ_L like this
Click a pic to go to that build log
sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

Stevinne

Stevinne
  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • Locationsouthern New Jersey shore, USA

I love rigging my ships. To me, it's the part that teaches me how the ships were operated. When I was a kid, I would just run lines all over my plastic ship kit. Now, it's great knowing that each line and shroud has a purpose and what that purpose is.

That being said, I do HATE ratlines.

• hollowneck, mtaylor, CaptainSteve and 2 others like this

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

ca.shipwright

ca.shipwright
  • Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationMidlothian, Viirginia USA

An hour of rigging is better than an hour of therapy.

Model ship building requires many skills. Many we learn as we go. Unfortunately, with skills it's "use it or loose it." Rigging is highly suseptable to this phenomenon. It's literally two years before the mast (no pun intended). This is my strongest positive for working on more than one model at a time which are in different stages of construction.

Regards

• hollowneck, mtaylor, CaptainSteve and 2 others like this

ca.shipwright

Michael Zemmel

Midlothian. VA

http://modelshipworl...ight-corel-160/

"Buy all your toys before you retire"

CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apprentice Wood-Hacker (3rdClass)

• Members
  • 2,542 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

I'll chuck my bi-corn hat in with the rest of the crew who love rigging. I find this stage of the build to be the most satisfying. 

• mtaylor and Modeler12 like this

CaptainSteve

Current Build:   USS Constitution (Model Shipways)

My BathTub:     Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)      Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)

HMS Victory (Constructo)

Check It Out:    The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

grsjax

grsjax
  • Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationBig Island, Hawaii

I find building the hull, particularly the back bone and frames to be what I enjoy most.  Rigging can be interesting and challenging but I see it more as work than pleasure.  Painting is my least favorite activity.

• mtaylor likes this

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

BLACK VIKING

BLACK VIKING
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSuffolk
I must admit I love rigging it's like doing a 3D jigsaw and every rope has its purpose

BV
  • mtaylor likes this

hollowneck

hollowneck
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationStratford, Connecticut

Homer (Ron),

Thank you for the compliment(s) on my display baseboards. And thanks for the Birthday shout-out!

I think about how my finished model will be displayed early-on in my building cycle. In most cases, I'll have very specific thoughts about the materials and especially, color(s). I did a baseboard recently with routed profile moldings (in cherry) with a flush, incised base of bronzed acrylic (my model, Godspeed - a 4-masted schooner- sat on this base until it was suspended in a church nave). However, I kept the base and it now sits beneath my Revenge. I will add this model to my gallery here as soon as I take the time to take nice shots. This baseboard is nicely reflective, but not like a standard mirror; the bronze color softens the reflectance and compliments the wood tones of the ship beautifully.

Generallly-speaking, since my approach to model ships is primarily that of attempting to create an art object, I believe the entire presentation is also important. The models that have impressed me the most over the years are ones typically mounted on beautiful, hadrwood bases or are presented in compelling dioramas.

A finely crafted baseboard of say, highly-figured walnut burl (veneer) is hard to beat visually. I also think nice marquetry (inlay) works on the perimeter of most baseboards. I buy my patterned inlays from suppliers who cater to guitar luthiers. Although most models are presented on dark wood bases, don't rule out a contrasting, lighter color such as a figured maple. One of my nicest models to look at has a dark walnut hull that "floats" over a book-matched Birdseye maple base that also has inlay marquetry "purfling" on the edges of the maple. The extreme contrast sets off BOTH the model- and the base, itself.

I do NOT have large woodworking equipment (routers, table saw, planers, etc.) in my building space. I depend on friends in my model club to help me realize my design ideas with their skill and resources. I always supply detailed, dimensioned drawings or sketches as well as all the materials.

I recommend looking at more models in the galleries here for ideas and if you can, source the Seawatch books which show many stunning (mostly antique) examples of superb baseboards.

Thanks again for the compliment.

Regards,

Ron

• mtaylor and Landlubber Mike like this

Modeler12

Modeler12
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts

I not only like doing it, but also to take pictures of the result.

rigging 56.jpg

rigging 130b.jpg

• cristikc, CaptainSteve, RichardG and 1 other like this

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworl...s-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.