Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Exactly what Patrick said!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

well...I'm glad to hear it Patrick and Jesse  :)    I try not to....the other build logs {on Word Press and other blogs} reflect it as well.    I feel that updating progress,  should be just as much fun,  as building the model.   less than that,  would make it a chore....and that's not what I would call an achievement.  

I broke my own rule.........not like its a solid rule or something,   but I did play around a little.  I mentioned putting the fish box in place to see how it would look,  now that the rigging is in the picture.   I went a little further........Pat 'n you folks,  so kind in your comments,  I think you'd enjoy seeing  what I did.   

post-612-0-55979300-1484015885.jpg

the fish box and conveyors in place on deck.....the net lines lay i=on the fore deck.....

post-612-0-61503700-1484016180.jpg

if the shrouds were in place.......I still have to make the jig.......this would look very different

post-612-0-58049700-1484016316.jpg

I thought to myself,  that the boom winch would look more complete with the net lines rigged

post-612-0-64933500-1484016503.jpg

the gallows winch  in contrast to it's surrounding detail

post-612-0-19907300-1484016602.jpg

so I said the heck with it and rigged the net lines

post-612-0-41804300-1484016716.jpg

so as it stands right now,  the forward 'haul' lines and the net lines,  are the only two not terminated.   there will be two other lines added for the net....they will be terminated, tied at the shrouds.   the forward haul lines will be tied at the cheats on the forward gallows

post-612-0-83958100-1484016932.jpg

it will be a couple of dreary days of wet weather 'round here......I hope to get the net rigs together.   I hope to have more to report soon.  thanks again for the kind comments....enjoy  :) 

post-612-0-76627800-1484016316.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just "wow" on how much detail you've packed on that deck, Denis.  Just fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Could you have crammed more on it ... I do see a little spot of plankin' though ... an empty barrel ... some old nets, pieces of rope ... you've another idea ... can't wait ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I had to chuckle Carl........I did have a thought about some oil drums  ;)    I could tuck 'em under the stairs or some place  :D   thanks for the kind comment!

thanks Mark...I think this might be it for the mid ship.....although there is some stuff I planned to add.  thanks for the good word.  :)

thanks also to everyone who hit the like button  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Stunning Denis; those standoff shots in particular make the model looks so life-like (colour and atmosphere).

Nice work mate, that detail really pops; especially like the little things like the brass handrails etc.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat  :)  it's filling out ......but there's more still  ;)

I had a bit of time to mess with her........the net trawl rigs are in the beginning process.   there are the two dowels that are 290 mm {I may have to shorten them a little,  to match the nets}.   I have a pair of brass rings that are a perfect fit,  but that's it.......only two.  so,  I'll have to make some.  I took a couple of those small spools and cut the ends off them...sanded down, I think think they will do OK for the task.

post-612-0-61574000-1484093730.jpg 

the net rig for the Cux.......and the part I need to make {two of them}

post-612-0-37828100-1484094205.jpg

post-612-0-53669800-1484094216.jpg

and it all will come together to look like this.

post-612-0-93716400-1484094253.jpg

Here is what the Cux looked like.......I don't have the boat.......I sent it to Tom in Wisconsin.

post-612-0-26780300-1484094336.jpg

the next thing I did,  was to bring out the soldering gun and make a jig for the shroud dead eyes.   my first try didn't hold up to me spreading the arms apart to accept a dead eye.   for the second attempt,  I gave it a handle,  as sort of a binder to hold the two sides together.   it's a working jig now  :)

post-612-0-71331000-1484094594.jpg

the port side shrouds are done.......I'm going to add ratlines.   I may not go all the way up though,  since there is a railing around the top.   perhaps half way up may be good enough.  thoughts on this would be helpful  ;)   so here are the shrouds and how they look........I made provision with three eye bolts,  but I only made use of two of them,  to give it some sort of taper,  as it goes to the top.

post-612-0-32468700-1484094856.jpg

post-612-0-80746900-1484094867.jpg

hopefully,  I can get more done tonight  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,  

There's a ladder so why would there be ratlines?????   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That was my first thought too Mark, why indeed ?  She's really a feast to the eye Denis, marvelous work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the kind comments and all the likes!   I'm a bit flattered.    jes' my b-b-b-boat.

thanks Mark and piet........gee,  here I was thinking about the railings.   guess I was look'in at the horse from the wrong end  :D  :D    so,  really......you think I'd be spinn'in my wheels doing ratlines.   not even part way up?  {I know.......it sounds like I'm begging for it,  HuH! }    thanks for clearing that up for me  :)

thanks Lawrence...I really appreciate the kind comment  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You may still need a spreader bar or two near the base of the shrouds though Denis.

cheers

Pat

thanks Pat......yep.....I am adding one.   this will be where I will tie off the base net line.   thanks for confirming that as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful work Denis,

so many details, hardly a squarefoot left to stand on deck, looks great....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Nils......and to all who hit the like button  :)   there is a small update.....hoping to get more done today.

the starboard side is to get the shroud treatment.   added here are the fore stays at the bow.

post-612-0-49878500-1484320971.jpg

the jig I made works great....yea......I'm kick'in myself for not making one sooner.

post-612-0-01454500-1484321096.jpg

the shrouds are all tied now........waiting to be made permanent.

post-612-0-83011300-1484321221.jpg

post-612-0-90077900-1484321241.jpg

so tie them off and add the spreader bars are all that needs to be done.......then I can tie off the forward haul lines and make rope coils for them.  oh........and the few other things  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

I took some time out today to read this log and I have to say I am completely flabbergasted by the craftsmanship and detail you have put it to this. I have been watching an artist ply his trade.

You also gave me a great idea. I too needed some wire approx. 1/16" thick.  I read how you spooled some scrap off your mig welder.  I work for a very large construction company which also runs several fabrication shops and we have a huge warehouse with about 500 sq ft dedicated to welding consumables. So I went out to see if we had any scrap mig wire, telling them I needed 0.035".  Of course, when anyone needs anything done personally, everyone is more than willing to drop what they are doing to help out.  They had no scrap so they opened a box and unspooled about 10 ft for me (judging by the dust on top of the box I think it has been sitting on the shelf for a few years).  Then while poking around I also grabbed some 1/16" SS tig rod. I now have a good supply of wire.

I look forward to seeing the finishing touches on this model and following future build logs.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Watch that light at the end of the tunnel Denis, it might be an oncoming train :) Seriously, with the end in sight you must be pretty happy with this build as it looks great.

cheers

Pat

Popeye...wonderful progress.....

Now splash some fish guts around and bloody up that deck and she'll really come to life.   :DB)

Fine attention to detail.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I'm amazed by the comments.....thank you :)   I'm glad I let my imagination get the better of me,  instead of just doing the bare bones,  like I was going to.  I still have more to go,  till I can get to the aft section.   one more day of work  ;)   thanks to all who hit the like button as well  :)

thanks Dupree..........when you begin you next build,  please let me know.   you have me curious now  ;)

thanks Derek......I normally use brass rod,  but I had run out.   the MIG wire would have been thrown out anyway, so I put it to good use.   it solders well to boot and fit in the Billings stanchions.   I've not seen TIG wire,  but I'm sure there isn't much of a difference.  should you see anything else you'd like to try, be my guest.  it's all about sharing,  here at MSW  :)

thanks Pat.......still a ways to go.......so I won't be seeing the finish line any time soon.  glad you like the progress :)

there are kits around Medic.......Billing's has a few.   although,  they are generic and lack certain qualities.   I have many pictures of fishing boats and trawlers......they give me the ideas,  to add in some of the aspects of detail.   for Christmas,  the admiral got the the Billing's Norden.  it's an advanced beginner's kit.  it makes a nice model out of the box.......but add some rope coils,  buoys,  and other bits.....it really makes a difference.  if you settle on one,  let me know.......I'd like to follow along  ;)   thanks for the good word!

thanks Rob!  :)   I wish I knew how to that....I have pictures of models done up like that.   really neat stuff!  :)

thanks Lawrence  :)

thanks Kees.........I'm dying to see yours!   I hope you are well and getting back into the ship building groove again  ;)

thanks John.......yea.....getting all that rope off of it did wonders  :D   actually,  that's a good picture of the fore deck  ;)   I need to make some vents for it,  just like the ones I made for the A.G.  more to go my friend.......

again....thanks for the kind comments.   hope to have more progress soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

Don't forget one thing !

If you are going further like this there is no room anymore on the deck for other things !

But, really a great job what you are doing !

Sjors

thanks Sjors!  how can I forget.....I keep coming up with stuff!  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for your confidence Dupree.  I though about doing it,  but my lack of knowledge kept me from following through.  I may try it out on a future project, but not at the moment  {no way to install it anymore}.   anyway......I appreciate the thought.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

first day of my four day week end.............I got up........snow.   I had my coffee,  and I planked.   the Syborn sat on the main table untouched this day.

second day of my four day week end........I got up.....unsettled and snow.  I had my coffee,  and I planked.   it was good to see the light at the end of the tunnel.   the syborn sat on the main table,  but there was a brief shuffle of the clutter that lay on the table.   a pair of parts were painted,  and lines got ties off.   the dead eyes are now all tied off,  and the forward haul lines are tied off as well.......I just need to cut the excess thread.   the spreader bars are painted.....they need to be added to the shrouds.   there are only two lines that need to be added {one added,  one terminated},  to finish off  the mid ship.   I laid out the stuff I need to make the rope coils for the haul lines on my desk,  but there was a lot of sanding dust about,  so I cleaned my desk.   it turned out to be enough of a distraction,  to set me off on another tangent {the previous one I was on before}.  back to planking.

this third day of my four day week end.......I got up.....supposed to get some freezing rain today,  but my big toe says no  ;)  I have my coffee......my camera and adapter lay before me,  after I've shuffled through all the pictures I took during the days before.......appalled that bad lighting had ruined some of the key pictures.   hopefully,  I can fill in the gaps somehow.   I found that I did take one picture of the syborn.......the lines tied off and such.   I hope to do more today.   I brought out a tool that I had made during my Cux build........it will be interesting to see how many folks remember it  :)

post-612-0-70748500-1484832472.jpg

the day is young........even I don't have a clue,  as to what I'll find myself doing this day  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Come on Denis; I can here the poor ol Syborn shouting our for some tender lovin even from here :)

cheers

Pat