10th-11th century Byzantine dromon by Louie da fly - FINISHED - 1:50

Oh, and almost forgot . . 

17 hours ago, Cathead said:

Geologically speaking, porphyry is an igneous rock (formed from cooling lava), whereas marble is metamorphic (physically and chemically transformed from limestone).

Fascinating stuff, Cathead. In Western Australia there's a town in the far north-west called Marble Bar, after the big reddish and purple rock outcrop in the local creek.

If you ever go to Marble Bar it's traditional to have a beer in the Ironclad pub (built 1891) "The hotel was constructed of corrugated Iron. It was allegedly given the name by American miners who were reminded of the Ironclad ships from the United States." (Wikipedia)

The town is celebrated as the hottest place in Australia, "The hottest day recorded for Marble Bar is 49.2 degrees C (120 degrees F) in 1905. Marble Bar is renowned as the hottest town in Australia and can spend every day for more than a month with temperatures topping 40C (104 F)"

But the whole point of it is that the "marble" of the bar is actually jasper. You can't trust anybody these days . . .

18 hours ago, Cathead said:

Also, what happened to the horns on the guards' helmets? (ducks)

How did you know about the ducks?

image.png.ae13a70f3bd8b0eb42be33d0dbc017dc.png

40 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Mustafa must be an Arabian immigrant - which wasn't all that uncommon. A lot of mutual exchange of populations. But a more likely group would be Con, Theo and Iouannis .

How right you are.  His family name is “Goodheadforheights”

indeed the byzantine world encompassed a wide geographical and ethnic base - most of the known western world

And Larson WOULD have a duck take on the Viking helm😁

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

For a "super model" a super "good"

:cheers:

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/                                           

Thank you for having shared your work. It has been very enjoyable, and encouraging for me that is just starting with scratch building.

Excellent work  - really really nice  - hope you have somwere special for it to go.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks everybody for all the help, advice and encouragement during this build - which as taken considerably longer than I expected. You've made the process much more enjoyable, and I have used tips from very many of you in solving problems and in making the model better than it would otherwise have been.

It's been an experience. Now to figure out where I go from here . . .

15 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

It's been an experience. Now to figure out where I go from here . . .

How about a  18th Century  British Frigate  with a Full crew ?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

How about a  18th Century  British Frigate  with a Full crew ?

[Bluebottle voice] You rotten swine! I don't like this game . . . [/Bluebottle voice]

4 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

[Bluebottle voice] You rotten swine! I don't like this game . . . [/Bluebottle voice]

You know you want to  ......:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Ok, the model itself is finished, and now I've done the stand. The wooden part, painted gold, was done ages ago. The base is made of a piece from a broken slab of marble that was in the garden when we bought the house. Marble - Byzantium; of course they belong together!

20201019_170205.thumb.jpg.b0b2e99fb1d497aba46d0bb31b018f5a.jpg

I was going to paint a fairly elaborate decorative border - vines curling around and all that. Then I decided the focus should be on the ship, not the stand, so I've kept it simple. Just the description and date in a readable font.

Unfortunately after all the work I did on carving that beautiful golden stand, it's almost invisible behind the oars. :default_wallbash:

20201019_170408.thumb.jpg.652b2f3867e5aafdedab1f6166c54845.jpg

20201019_170711.thumb.jpg.dec3d0049f7756a9546541abb6df1466.jpg

What can I say, Steven, that hasn't been said. This is chocolate for the eyes!! The stand really sets it off. What's next?

Dick

Oh, and please, put it in a display case before the cat jumps on it

Current build: 

Le Gros Ventre 1:48 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/564-le-gros-ventre-by-woodrat-scale-1-48-pof-1767-french-exploration-vessel/

Past builds:

Mycenaean War Galley by Woodrat - 1:48 - Shell first Plank on Frame:https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33384-mycenaean-war-galley-by-woodrat-148-shell-first-plank-on-frame

Venetian round ship 14th century by Woodrat fully framed - 1:40 scalCompleted

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17991-venetian-round-ship-14th-century-by-woodrat-fully-framed-140-scale

Venetian Carrack or Cocha 1/64 by woodrat   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4915-venetian-carrack-or-cocha-164-by-woodrat        completed

United States Frigate Essex 1:64 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4496-usf-essex-by-woodrat-scale-1-64-fully-framed-from-takakjian-plans/ - completed 

Yenikapi12 by Woodrat - 1/16 scale - a small Byzantine merchant vessel of the 9th century

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23815-yenikapi12-by-woodrat-116-scale-a-small-byzantine-merchant-vessel-of-the-9th-century-finished/

The Incredible Hulc by Woodrat - an experimental reconstruction of a mediaeval transport

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25641-the-elusive-hulc-by-woodrat-finished-a-speculative-reconstruction-of-a-mediaeval-merchantman-132-plank-on-frame/

40 minutes ago, woodrat said:

Oh, and please, put it in a display case before the cat jumps on it

That's the final stage - next thing to do. Mind you the cats aren't allowed into the Boat Room (the name by which my workshop is known at home) so it's relatively safe for the moment.

Gorgeous and spectacular....and what a blast of a journey it was.

Robin 🙂

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

The completed model and its presentation are terrific!

[Moriarty voice]: Come here little fellow.

[Bluebottle voice]: Yes, my captain?

[Moriarty]: How would you enjoy a nice long cruise, blue waters and sunshine?

[B]: I'd love it. But...but... I have not got the pennies for it.

[M]: Don't you worry your little empty head, my lad. It's all free.

[B]: Even the blue waters?

[M]: Oh, yes, indeed. Walk this way up the gangplank...Now sit down here. (Sounds of locks, chains, hammers on anvils, etc.)

[B]: Oh, is the ankle bracelet free too?

[M]: Absolutely! And the best thing of all.

[B]: What is that, my captain?

[M]: You can't fall into the water now!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Most models, beautiful as they maybe, are static and a bit cold. Louie, yours, one can hear the shouts from the crew and the grown of the oars. Congratulations!

5 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Most models, beautiful as they maybe, are static and a bit cold. Louie, yours, one can hear the shouts from the crew and the grown of the oars. Congratulations!

Thats why I put a crew on my Pearl build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks everybody for all the comments. It's been a long journey, but worth it in the end. The figures became an albatross around my neck, but now they're done I'm happy I did that extra work. I think they make the model much more believable, and having them working on raising the yard and unfurling the sail is an unusual touch which I believe gives it more life.

Moriarty: Hullo little boy

Bluebottle: Oooh, it's the forces of evil Moranatum. (Thinks: I know how I can get rid of that dynamite) Mr Moranato, how would you like a nice long red cigar with a wick on the end of it?

Moriarty: I'd like that very much.

Bluebottle: I'll light it for you (sound of match being lit)

WHOOOOSH!

Bluebottle (from a great distance): Is it nice?

Moriarty: It's gone out.

WHOOSH!
Bluebottle: I'll light it again for you . . 

KABOOOOM!

3 hours ago, Kikatinalong said:

I'll hazard a guess at a Carrack, it's just the scale I'm not sure on

It's one of the possibilities, though I might leave that one till later - after all, the Great Harry which I have yet to complete is a sort of super-carrack.

Hi, Steven

For your next project I/we suggest that you do whatever you feel challenged by; and/or whatever  allume votre âme et fait vibrer votre cœur de joie

I still favour the Quinquireme of Nineveh, with a full set of rowers.  There is a crying need for Louie-da-Fly research into the what and how of the quinquireme and wth Ophir was😁

BTW - the Dromon is sailing more or less southward, so the canopy would be deployed to keep the rays off the lily-white skin of the Emp, so perhaps you could roll up the side curtains, or scandalize them to show the Gaffer-of-all-the-gaffers

And what happened to Dick?  Did he succumb to verdigris and topple off the yard?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Druxey, when I was a kid we had a record with two Goon shows on it - "Dishonoured" (from which the above quote comes) and "Tales of Old Dartmoor". At the time I could quote whole passages verbatim. I'm still pretty good, but out of practice. For example Moriarty's first line is actually "Welcome to the Indian river police, little boy." (which is part of a running gag that goes through the whole episode).

Andrew - Nineveh was hundreds of miles inland - it was on the Tigris river, but I doubt a quinquireme could have floated there. However the Assyrians whose capital it was owned pretty much the eastern Mediterranean coast, so Masefield is only stretching the facts a little. On the other hand, it's doubtful the Assyrians had quinquiremes . . . as I understand it they were a later development.

Per the Encyclopaedia Britannica " Ophir, unidentified region famous in Old Testament times for its fine gold. The geographic list of Genesis 10 apparently places it in Arabia, but in the time of Solomon (c. 920 BC), Ophir was thought of as being overseas. Gold, almug (or algum) wood (i.e., sandalwood), ivory, monkeys, and peacocks were procured there. Many areas of the Arabian Peninsula have been proposed as the site of Ophir; the principal alternative locations overseas are East Africa and India." 

Unless of course you mean the old town in New South Wales near Orange,  which was "the site of Australia's first gold rush" (that's news to us in Ballarat - there are several other claimants to that honour . . .)

And the curtains are rolled up!

As far as Dick is concerned, he's currently building both a Byzantine merchantman and a frumious hulk . . . https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25641-the-incredible-hulc-by-woodrat-a-frumious-reconstruction/

Beautiful and well executed. Clean lines. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

On 10/18/2020 at 8:30 PM, Louie da fly said:

Now to figure out where I go from here . . .

I've got a Viking ship you're welcome to finish. I'll happily pay to ship it to Australia. Otherwise it may end up at the bottom of my pond.