SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse 1897 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Thank you very much to Druxey, Tom and Crackers,

and all the "likes"

Druxey,

yes I thought about modifying the 1:144 figurines already, but then gave up, because they are just too small. Second thought was if possibly it could be done to scan in larger scale figurines and reproduce in any desired scale with a 3D printer, although I have absolutely no experience with that

Tom,

thanks for joining in to this log, and for your appreciative words

Crackers,

wonderful figurines, I agree, they would be perfect, if in the correct scale.  Presume they are about 19 mm high (H0 scale), which is too high for my application, but good to know....., may I kindly ask where you have found that source, even if not available in Germany ?

Nils

Just a reminder...

the scale 1:144 figurines are only of this hight (relation to my pointer finger)

post-3445-0-11088300-1446370721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Many thanks to Mark, Crackers and Bill,

Mark,

I just had some luck on the web Ebay-fleamarket with Scale N (1:60) figures, a Family around 1900.  :)

Thanks for your helpful tip. I thought 1:160 would be too small, but the figures (grown ups) measure 13 mm hight, and that is just like Preiser`s scale 1:144

Crackers,

thanks again for your Kind help, Those metal figurines certainly shall be interesting for a vintage ship-model builder doing scale 1:100

Bill,

thank you for your Input here, trust there are some 1:160 figurines in appr. the same hight as nominal 1:160

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Update

parts (some) of the decoration for bow and stern..... (first trial...)

Nils

post-3445-0-43862900-1446719021_thumb.jpg

up and in the centre of the golden decoration at stern is the badge with the "Kaiser.Eagle". This is printed in appr. scale on Photopaper, and the badge baseplate is cut out with a hole-punch  tool. Because of the rubber plate under the soft anealed  brass stockplate the edges become that rounded badge character

post-3445-0-27396800-1446719023_thumb.jpg

a small drop of semi-thickened-viscosity CA mounts the emblem to the badge base, so it looks like a small button

post-3445-0-59582400-1446719027_thumb.jpg

the upper bow decoration gets the mini-badges with the state Bremen`s "Himmelsschlüssel" (sky key), which the NDL line showed on their liners. The metal antique bronze decor base parts  will be goldened as well

post-3445-0-28884700-1446719029_thumb.jpg

the little blue "sky key" badges are made in the same way, but smaller in diameter

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Αnd I thought  that 152 portholes was small  job.... This is small and beautiful work Nils... :) :)

Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Many thanks to Grant - Patrick - Bob - Dimitris - Sal - Boyd,

and all the "likes", for their appraisals and appreciations  :)  :)  :)

Grant,

thanks for you nice comment... :)

Patrick,

it. was an idea and it worked out quite well.. ;)

Bob,

I thought about how to do a badge with a surface that resembled enamail a little bit.. :rolleyes:

Possibly this may be a way that also fellow builders could do historic badges and emblems for their ships

Dimitris,

yes, the portholes take their time to do, I`m still stuck in producing over 450 of them alone on the hull    :huh:

The most tasky side of it is doing all those drill holes without misdrillng or too much unplaned offset 

SAL,

the CA was only to glue the photopaper emblem on the brass badge plate. In this case I unfortunately do`nt know how long the glossy photo side wil stay ^_^  shiny and keep the colors. (may need to be replaced after some years)

Boyd,

Thanks, I also love helpful comments from fellow builders, many thanks to all, for example the highly appreciated way to do the paint borderline over riveted structure, as by Dirk`s  ( Dubz`s) suggestuion, that was a complete new one to me   ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, very informative on how the badges were made,( I will have to try that ) they look Fantastic, well done 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you very much Pete,

perhaps we`ll find a nice "Herreshoff" badge for your models..... ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, That would be great 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Clever solution (pun intended) for the badges Nils.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Many thanks for your Kind words,

Pete, Michael, Crackers and David..., and all the "likes"

Pete,

the typical "Herreshoff" logo, because its too Long, unfortunately could`nt be rounded in order to fit onto a round badge, would take an oval badge base...

Michael,

many thanks for your appreciation

Crackers

nice comment , thanks very much

David,

many thanks to you, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 25

the portholes are not fitted yet, (to be mounted after final painting of hull), but the hull is drilled in the oppropriate places, and the upper two rows will have "eyebrows", to keep the porthole glasses clear

The unsymmerical tubing for the aft anchorchain is set and stb-side has the upper bow-decoration attached

Nils

post-3445-0-33094300-1447091564_thumb.jpg

I am satisfied with the dull black hull color

post-3445-0-60094000-1447091566_thumb.jpg

front bow decoration as shown / made in the last post

post-3445-0-55379400-1447091568_thumb.jpg

the number of portholes and positions are corresponding with the overview drawing

post-3445-0-66879500-1447091570_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-54026600-1447091572_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-24126800-1447091574_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-17595000-1447091576_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful work, Nils, especially the bow decorations.

Is your sailor cursing the gods or just shielding his eyes from the sun?

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Beautiful Nils, the badges really set her off nicely 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Many thanks to Dan, Patrick, Pete and John,

and all the "likes", for your appreciations,

Dan,

he`s just calling the dry dock crane Operator for Attention......

Patrick,

nice comment, thanks...

Pete,

I do hope that the badges will not fade out (UV light) on the photo paper..

John,

yore always wellcome John, glad you like it..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful work, as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much Bob,

I`m trying to Keep the upper hull rails clean and in natural wood appeal whilst applying the black paint without messing, and with help of the Tamiya tape masking it really works very well...

Nils

post-3445-0-44869000-1447185358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Moin Hartmut,

Thank you very much for your Kind words, I`m very glad the KWdG model finds your interest in this log...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

a little update.....

the first of the 458 hull`s portholes are put on, and before that the areas were painted...

These close ups  really don`nt hide anything

Nils

post-3445-0-91269900-1447680655_thumb.jpg

the most left one is the tube bushing for the aft anchor chain

post-3445-0-73332700-1447680657_thumb.jpg

the upper forecastle portholes between the rails

post-3445-0-25573600-1447680660_thumb.jpg

twenty of them on each side

The plugged off two porthole in the third line from the top were due to misaligned drilling

post-3445-0-28563100-1447680662_thumb.jpg

poop deck portholes

post-3445-0-19362100-1447680664_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-97732900-1447680665_thumb.jpg

upper hull portholes on white background strip, under the promenade deck

post-3445-0-52031400-1447680667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed