Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

I'm in agreement, don't see nothing wrong with the Dinghy, looks like a model to me. I've got 7 whaleboats coming up so you've given me some good ideas...as usual outstanding work my friend. Don't you be giving Gwen a bunch of trouble now...ya hear!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

WOW, thank you everyone for your very kind words and all the like votes, it's much appreciated.

I took today off from work in the shipyard and did some garden work.  Gwen was hemm'n and hawn'n about my lemon grass plant, which looked very sick so I took it out of the ground and rescued a few stalks to star over.  

That reminds me, I'd like make some lemongrass soup.  Gwen loves it as well.  Problem is that I need at least a dozen thich, fresh stalks and I don't have that many.  Hate to go and buy them . . . cheap Dutchman  ;)

Hi Popeye, Yeah, I guess it's a model but it can really be a little better.  Yun's can't see the many little flaws in it from where you are, I can and that's what counts :)   Gwen thinks I'm nuts and much too critical, striving for perfection.  The plan is still for the dingy to be placed on the display board with the rest of the spares.  Extra anchor, torpedoes, mines, a case or two or three of Heineken beer with a sailor sitting on it - - - guarding it  ;)

Hi Nils, thank you, it kinda worked out okay - - - but . . . . .

Hello Jan, thank you very much for the compliment!  Yeah, version 3.0 - - - hmmmm, gold plated???   ;)

Hi David B. Thank you very much.  As far as the girl - - - hmmm . . . . she'll have to take a bath in preparation H first - - to shrink her  :P  Oh stop it Piet, you crack me up  :D  :D  :D

Hi Carl, don't encourage my dear bride or she'll order gold leaf and dare me to use it  ;)

Hi John, thanks, but yes, there are a few flaws and besides I WANT to make another one.  Right now thinking about the details and course of action.  Glad that some of what and how I did it may be of help for your seven whaleboats, ouch.  

Me?  Giving Gwen a bunch of trouble?  Not me my friend - - - because - - - be afraid, be very afraid for the wrath of Gwen  :rolleyes:  :D  :D

Hi Omega, thank you and coming from the miniature master himself, that's appreciated.

Okay, next we'll make two more oars and finishing the little dingy.  I'll start with prepping the wood for version 2.0 tomorrow and setting up my big Cannon camera to make the series of final shots of the O19 model.  It'll, have to be done on the cleaned up build board and not on the final display board.

Cheers to all,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Gwen and Phyllis {my admiral} sound like two peas in a pod.............Phyl thinks the same of me.....too critical of my work ;)    my recent notice of a flaw in the build I am working on set her to part some words of wisdom.............it wouldn't look good if it was too perfect.  it's what gives it, it's individuality.    I think she was stammering when she said it....don't quote me.........PLEASE!!!  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sorry Piet, but when I have seen Dingy painted on grey I said Aouchh...

Then I´ve realised that you are not making a XVIII century POF gun ship but the O.19 submarine...Quiet easy to get lost cause the little tiny dingy dingy dingy.... looks like a whole project by itself!

Your skills and eyes are amazing. You must be related to some jewelery ancestor or something.

Willing to see her (v.2.0) on the deck of the O.19! And really nice pics on her case!

Daniel.

Hello everyone and my sincere thanks to all who visited and clicked the like button.  Looks like you got caught up Mike Y  ;)

Not much done today on the O19's dingy.  I went out this morning to see if the printer could make some prints of the Musi drawings but they were out of large format paper.  They send me across the street to another printer but he had no idea how to do that from a copy on a "thumb drive."  

Hmmm, not a biggy yet but a little frustrating.  

This after noon I started to make the lifting bridle "cable" for the dingy and tie the oars on the rowing seats but had to abandon that project to fix a water spigot outside.  Then feed the koi fish and then it was dark.

Perhaps tomorrow I can hang version 1.0 on the lifting boom on the O19 and a picture  :dancetl6:

Just to see how it looks.

@ Omega:  You are too modest.  There are not many who can pull off what you are doing.

@ Popeye:  Yeah, Gwen just shakes her head and walks away.  I was told by a distant cousin that it's a van Warmerdam trait.  So, maybe we are related ???  ;)

@ Daniel:  Good to see you again and yes, everything on board a navy ship is either greased or painted.  No jewelers in my family but after my double cataract operations the eyes are 20 / 20 and with a pair of 3 X magnifiers I can work comfortably with small stuff.  

We'll start with version 2.0 shortly.

@ David B:  Thank you for the compliments my friend.   

I hope yuns don't mind but when talking about painting ships that triggered my memory about a story my father told me.  One day he ordered a couple of native Indonesian men to chip, scrape, wire brush and paint parts of the boat.  A few sailors rigged up some scaffolding and tied it to two railing stanchions.  

The two "painters" climbed overboard and sat on the plank and started to work.  After some time my father didn't hear anymore noise with the scrapers and wire brushes so he mozied on over and peeked over the side thinking they were painting.  Hmmm, no - - - they were vast asleep.

Hey - he thought - I'm not paying them to sleep on the job.  Sooooooh - - - oh yuns guessed already whet he did - - - he untied one of the ropes that held the scaffolding and dumped both guys into the water.

- - - - followed with a lot of screaming and yelling - - - turned out they can't swim!!   So, he threw them a rope and dragged then both on board.

At least he and the crew had a laugh till my father ordered two sailors to finish the job.  Hey, it's always the lower ranks who get to do the nasty jobs but I'm sure that some of the old "salts" here on MSW can relate to that.

Y'all have a great day and happy modeling.

Cheers, 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Aye, aye Sir - Schout bij Nacht Sjors  ;)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone,

Well, dingy version 1.0 is completed and hanging on the loading tackle.  I also managed to lower it into it's storage area.  I lucked out again in that it fit!  :)  :dancetl6:

The measurements on the drawings Daniel made worked !!

So, now I have no more excuses and must obey Rear Admiral Sjors and start on version 2.0.  Don't hold your breath though, it'll go a little slower this time because I'll be using a different process that'll take more time.  I also need to make more planking and make an actual rabbat at the stern section and bow post.  I plan to make the bow and stern post from separate parts with knees tying them in to the keel.

Nothing like having gained a little more confidence in this miniature building world  ;)  Wish me luck.

Okay, here are a few of the pics I took yesterday afternoon of my efforts, it doesn't look half bad.

post-1399-0-52845200-1416107356_thumb.jpg

This pic is taken with flash, there was not enough light.  1/20 sec at f5.8.  The obvious question Gwen asked, how did they get the dingy into the water with the railing being in the way?  Well, the stanchions lift out of the deck fittings and the guide cable unhooks.  Unfortunately I didn't think about doing that  :(

post-1399-0-35959100-1416107371_thumb.jpg

Here is a better view and taken without the flash!  I rested the camera on a broom handle to steady it and shot it at 1/20 sec at f5.8.  At first I thought the dingy was too wide by looking at it from this angle but it did slip into its little hangar below deck.

post-1399-0-03665000-1416107383_thumb.jpg

Another broom handle pic without flash.  Here I have unhooked the bridle cable after having lowered the dingy into its hangar.  Yup, that mechanism works.  I think though that I'll shorten the lifting cable a little on version 2.0.  I didn't bother unhooking the bridle cable.  You  can also see that I stowed the rudder and helm stick, which slipped from the seats.  I believe though that they would store them and the oars inside the lower part of the con..  I just lashed the oars to the seats for the drama and show and tell  :)

post-1399-0-94809400-1416107398_thumb.jpg

Another shot a little closer by.  Come to think about it, I still need to make the stowing cradles for the dingy on top of the hull.  I won't bother with the lashing hardware though, like eye hooks welded to the hull  ;)  Hmmm, getting lazy - - - well . . . . .  maybe.

Yes, everything can be unhooked, the loading boom lowered and secured to the deck frame and the hatches closed.  This is all very time consuming so I don't think I'll ever to that again.

I have also not made provisions to make the railing removable, however that is still possible to do but will most likely forget about it  B)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Super nice, Piet.  I like the way it fits in nice and neat.  Ok.... versoin 2 it is.  I'm going to go find that popcorn machine that Sjors parked somewhere....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Piet,

A fresh eye always see something that we have missed !

But it shows you also that she pay attention to your work !

Dingy version 2.....I'll shall wait for that.

I hope you don't mind but I think that when we leave Mark alone at the forum in search of the popcorn machine, he get lost.

I found one in the basement and will put it here of you don't mind 

Sjors

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

Piet, I was missing that impressive log for some reason.. A week ago I found it! Very impressive atmosphere here, and excelent historical / family details. Thank you, enjoyed reading it. It is like a good book! Best wishes with the continuation of the build!

Nicely done. Perhaps an "old" Dutchman I know might want to crawl in and row around the boat to see how she looks in the water....lol...

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

Hello everyone and thanks to all who dropped by and clicked the like button, much appreciated.

Hey Mark, thanks for the kind words and yes, we'll proceed ahead with v 2.0 on the jol, uh . . . dinghy.

Hi Wacko Joe, good seeing you again and thank you too for the compliment.

Hoi Sjors, yeah man, thanks for hauling that popcorn maker upstairs.  We'll have some real good farm butter to go with it.  Oh and yes, Gwen says she'll brew Douwe Egberts Select coffee, that's the stuff in the silver bag.  We have enough mugs for everyone here and the dishwasher works in my house  :rolleyes:  :)

How about cookies, like spekulaas en taai taai and pepernoten?  Hey, December 5 is coming up!

Hoi Remco, thank you my friend, i lucked out . . . again.

Hell Mike Y, welcome in the shipyard, good to see you.  Glad you found my O19 log, it's been quite some trip but loved it very much.  Yes, because it's a rather personal build I try to weave some family history through it.  Your observation is quite correct, MSW is THE best model ship forum on the planet!

Hi John, thank you too my friend and you know an old Dutchman?  You never told me that  ;)  Boy, yes, wouldn't I love to scull around in the little dinghy / jol and look at this boat from the water.  

Hi Carl, Yeah, she fits just right and I'm sorry to say I ran out of gold leaf  ;)

Hello David B, thank you also for your very kind words, and also my thanks for following the build.  All the input I have received has been extremely encouraging.

Cheers to all

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone . . . again,

Didn't do anything on the dinghy today, just started to clean the small (west facing) work bench.  I need to make some room for Version 2.0 and do some work on the VOC ship that's docked there.

It was brought to my attention that I have been misspelling the word dinghy and used dingy, without the h, instead.  How embarrassing and for all the world to see too  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  Can I put the blame on dyslexia?  Or a slip of the finger?  Or just being a dumb immigrant Dutchman?  Hey, when I hear dinghy pronounced I don't hear the h in it - - - so being the "frugal" Dutchman I am not using that letter but save it for other words that are missing it! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:   Yeah, that's it, good excuse - - -  Hmmmm, yuns are buying that ????

The English language is using too many extra letters that are not really needed, very confusing - - -  :)

But . . . I'll tell you what folks, if this is the only spelling error I have made in my logs then I count myself very lucky.  So that you know that of all three foreign languages I had to take in the Dutch school system English was my best failing subject, a 5.  German was a 4 and French a 3.  So please let me know when I make an error, I'm still learning - - - even at my highly advanced age (80)  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet,

yep, Sinterklaas is in town  :D  :D

I already have the marsepein  :D  :D

Douwe Egberts is very tasty coffee.....

Can I have it with cream and sugar please ????

No updates today ????

Sjors

Hi Piet,

Too much letters without meaning. English has some, but should we remind you of the common pronunciation of the Dutch place of Gorinchem?

I like the ding(h)y.

You could try to deceive rear admiral Sjors, and just post a second pic of v1.0, claiming it is V2.0.

He wouldn't notice I guess. (too busy eating popcorn and marsepein and chocoladeletters)

Jan

Hello Piet. If you are worried about your spelling!? How do you think I feel :wacko:  My English spelling must be a true nightmare, but so what? I try to improve my spelling every day but for now I do it with the words I know.

Regards, Kees

Hello everyone . . . again,

Didn't do anything on the dinghy today, just started to clean the small (west facing) work bench.  I need to make some room for Version 2.0 and do some work on the VOC ship that's docked there.

It was brought to my attention that I have been misspelling the word dinghy and used dingy, without the h, instead.  How embarrassing and for all the world to see too  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  Can I put the blame on dyslexia?  Or a slip of the finger?  Or just being a dumb immigrant Dutchman?  Hey, when I hear dinghy pronounced I don't hear the h in it - - - so being the "frugal" Dutchman I am not using that letter but save it for other words that are missing it! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:   Yeah, that's it, good excuse - - -  Hmmmm, yuns are buying that ????

The English language is using too many extra letters that are not really needed, very confusing - - -  :)

But . . . I'll tell you what folks, if this is the only spelling error I have made in my logs then I count myself very lucky.  So that you know that of all three foreign languages I had to take in the Dutch school system English was my best failing subject, a 5.  German was a 4 and French a 3.  So please let me know when I make an error, I'm still learning - - - even at my highly advanced age (80)  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

When i was a kid scrabble was a required game in our house.  I kept a thesaurus / Dictionary by my side. ;)   Loser did the dishes.  And for a family of 7 that meant a lot of dishes, pots and pans. :(

David B

Ah yes, I do know a few "old" Dutchmen, however, I did not mention names or say where they live.....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Hello every one and thanks for your responses.

Hey Sjors, Yeah, I know Sinterklaas is soon coming but not here I'm afraid, his ship got lost and is stuck in the Saragossa Sea.  Instead we have to put up Criss Kringle - - -  for a whole month.

No, no update yet.  I have been busy with other things.

Hey Jan, yup, too many letters in the English words  ;)   However, I don't know if any of the Dutch folks here remember being taught in school to spel vis as visch?  We were then on the fringes of the "simplified" spelling rule.  

Gorinchem?  Oh yeah, I remember that city, been there many times and we used to call it Gorkum, is that still so?

Thank you for liking my little jol / dinghy.  You think Sjors won't notice if I call v 1.0 v 2.0?  He's a real astute individual you know, he found the popcorn machine AND loves to make ratlines!  

Hoi Kees, you know, I find it quite humorous and at my highly advanced age It's no big deal.  I'm just glad and appreciative that it was gently brought to my attention.  I got a real chuckle out of it, no wonder people were scratching their heads.  Can you picture this, fabricating an adjective instead of a noun?  Oh I guess you could make a dinghy dingy - - -  :huh: 

Actually, I'm doing quite well with American English, had to when I was a high muckedy muck of a few airlines and then for the Federal Government.  Mucho reports and technical journals.  I think that my English teachers from school would be very pleased, surprised most likely that that mentally challenged young man managed to get this far.  I have now problems with Dutch and have to have an English - Dutch dictionary next to me when I write Dutch  :rolleyes:  Go figure.

Hi Anthony, hey, been there . . . come to think of it, am still there, see above  :)

Hello David B, oh yes, we used to play that too when the kids were in school - - - I cheated though, I used Dutch words or German words, even some Indonesian   :D  :D  :D  "Not fair dad, not fair," they would shout.  Yeah, I guess I was a big tease.  

Hi John, I'm curious, did I meet any of them ?   :huh:  And old too eh?  

Well folks, it's been a pleasure chatting with all yuns.  Hmmm, folks . . . another word with an unused letter.  

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Oh boy, what a build !!!

Microscopic approach ... no words ... no breath ...

Huh

Inspiration to try impossible

Btw dont worry about misspelling

I used "bear" instead "beer" and you can imagine meaning of my posts ....

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Yes, Gorkum is still Gorkum, but you're right, we lost quite a number of useless letters in the transition to the simplified  spelling rules.

Btw you look much younger than that :) (for the non-dutch, we're talking the period 1946-1955)

But enough now of spelling, we want dinghies (or was it dingies, or even dinghys? :) )

Jan