IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Just catching up on your progress and what a treat.

The Japanese 127mm twin guns are one of my favourite looking guns.  Just noticed the decals on the funnel as well, really looks the part.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Well, I tried the run on decals, too hard so went with the Tamiya ones. 

I did drop the container will all the big guns in it today, took me an hour to find NEARLY all the bits that fell off, can't find 2 of the sandbags which I'll make from spares. Annoying but not the end of the world to fix. A few hours work. 

Im currently working on the deck fittings and dreading making up about 170 ammo boxes and placing individual stanchions for the entire ship, plus boats and aircraft.  

As to the weathering, Utube is your friend, and the excellent airbrush recommend by banyan. You just can't do this without one. I reckon 3 months to go. 

I really want to build something smaller next (in this scale) so I'm open to suggestions. I now have an inside job for at least 6 months and no coaching duties until October. 

Greg

Ouch. You shouldn't play with containers, use a crane ;) less chance of dropping it. Glad it were merely sandbags you lost, barrels e.a. are a bit more tricky to replace. Be careful

An inside job ... sounds frightning, mate. I presume it is a desk job you mean ...

You might have a go at the Yukikaze (destroyer), has some nice PE sets to it, or the IJN sub I-400, also with detail up sets ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Interesting ship the Isuzu. Can imagine the posibilities to update.

Could be better, thanks for asking. Got mangled by a fysiotherapist. The sadistic type. Got more problems with it afterwards than before. I'll live.

Carl

Greg,

I too was thinking about a destroyer to go alongside your Yamato, but my mind goes in different directions. What about a nod to Taffy-3 and build the Sammy B? I do not know if there are kits available and Sammy B never directly attacked Yamato, I believe it was Chikuma she traded blows with, it would really show off the miss match between the ships.

Just a thought, whatever you choose I am sure we will all eagerly follow.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Keep you going....?  Make you go nuts more like it - good luck with the folding.  At least you have the right weather to be doing this :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Quite CDW, but a jig saw isn't that easy, these will always fit, no matter what.

Greg,

Nice pastime you've chosen ... I thought you were building a battleship ... you now seem to be working for the amunition dept. Do you have to fill the boxes too?

Haven't found that PE sheet in my set ... am I just lucky ...?

Carl

Looking great,

Lots of guns on this ship. The railings are a pain. Have you tied these, the worked well on my Yamato.

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-1350-photo-etch-handrail-set/

Keep up the good work

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Apologies for that I had not seen every page of your build. will look through the whole build log as I think this is one of the better kits on the market.

Paul

PS

I have now seen all of the build. Brilliant job on some of that photo tech. I can spend hours prepping for a wooden model but find photo etch so tedious. I give up on a lot of the small stuff in the end. I see where you have used the rails they look very good.

I especially like the aircraft rails on the rear deck. I found these so hard to do on the version I built. Paintjob looks good too. This is going to be one awesome model when you are finished.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

insanity at it's best............it's a good thing it looks good in the end ;)    I admire you tenacity! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

When I recieved the Pontos upgrade it has a natural colour deck but for its final mission it was painted black. I tried on an offcut to stain it black but as it is so waxy the stain did not take, so I ordered the after-after market black deck (from Japan no less at the same price as Oz). Yesterday I get this large box full of bubble wrap and the black deck on the date they promised it. 

Now, nerve wrackingly later, here it is. I can now progress with the build. And try and figure out how to weather it. I'm thinking some pastels in powder form perhaps. Suggestions anyone? 

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

Greg

Nice deck

When you have your deck furnishings all installed, will there be a lot left to be seen. It's a black deck, smudges and things will be hardly visible ... when you add all the fittings, guns, etc do you really require to stain it ... I would give the pastels a go if I had to weather it. You might "warp" it with paint ...

Carl

Hi Greg; why weather it?  if it was only painted black for its last mission it would not have had time to weather?  The deck replacement piece looks great!

cheers

Pat

who would have thought that a black deck would look so good ;)    awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Tiny perhaps Greg, but anyone giving a close look will notice.  The detail and finish you are putting in will attracty people to look so I am sure you will get plenty of comment on the smaller details.

cheers

Pat

she's coming together quite nicely, Greg. A hole lot more AA mounting points compared to the Musashi. It is astonishing how much they added in 1945 to the Yamato. By the way, I love the dark deck, I might consider adding it, as It was used on the Musashi as well. Still working on hte hull, found some more PE to add ...

Carl

Astonishing build. looks amazing Greg.

I am building the 1:200 Missouri and don't have the kind of patience you have with phototech. keep up the great work you are doing.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson