IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

After days of back cramps the railings are done. I still prefer the individual Tamiya stanchions over the one piece etch railings as  I feel it just looks a little more real. 

Next is the boat boat booms and awning stanchions (all stowed), then the davits. Getting there. 

IMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

Greg

Worth every back ache and cramp you experienced Greg; the individual railings are a much better look.  I have purchased the PE versions but you have convinced me to change to these for my Vampire.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

look'in super Greg.....very nice indeed! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Next, there are 64 awning stanchions that run along the side of the ship, Pontos provides them in an open or stowed position, given she's not at anchor I used the stowed version which only requires one 180 degree fold on all 64. The issue will be placing them as they sit flush on the gunnels outboard of the rails which gives me about 1mm to work with. If it is too hard or creates too much mess I will omit them (it's never going in a competition), also there is the davits, you can see the Tamiya kit provided blob so I used a discontinued Flyhawk Davit set for the Yamato. 

There is also two boat boat booms which Pontos give you the option of rigged and slung with ladders which I won't use as it's just asking for trouble as they would extend past the baseboard. 

There are two lifering ring holders which go on the stern. 

Finally Pontos provided life rings which will just require red stripes. 

Ill get around to painting/weathering and adding them this week. 

IMG_4101.JPG

IMG_4102.JPG

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4105.JPG

Greg

Where did you get that massive red-headed beam :) 

quite telling when it comes to scale....

funny isn't it: I never miss the sailors on deck in those sterile out-of-the-box models. On this kind of super detailed, convincingly wheathered models, I keep thinking: where is the crew...... I guess it is because of the quality of your work. (And please, don't take it as an suggestion ;) )

Jan

I think that putting a crew on can diminish it. There are some wonderful resin crews out there now but I even if they are professionally painted, they look like little dolls drawing the eye away from the build which we try and get as realistic as possible. 

It would cost me several hundred $ to put the crew on and time I could not be bothered painting. There's around 30 crew for 25 euro, Yamato had around 2000 crew, that's a bit of a stretch even for my addiction to aftermarket, mind you if I win the lottery.........

Greg

it's a lot of tiny stuff,   but considering that on most models, all this added detail is usually molded on.......it was worth any trimming and modifications you needed to do ;)    you've done a splendid job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks folks, I've finally (almost) finished the ships boats. I'm pretty much crap at them but they'll suffice. No references provide any advice on the slinging of the boats so after much trial and error I made up some winches and slung them as if they are being retrieved or deployed. I have a bit of tidy up to do yet but that can wait till the end. I tried to lower them with copper wire but could not get the tension right so I used ezline. Parked a few longboats on the back deck and will put the 2 sampans on the flight deck. 

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

Greg

the way you have them looks really good!    it's interesting that you got so many in the kit,  when at sea or in port,  they would be stowed away and out of sight.   they add quite a bit of demention to the model ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you could also have modified a few of the davits and rigged the sanpans to them....that would look cool.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That depends, Greg. Do you mount her on the base in the centre or off centre ... You could have one boom extended if off centre. I have been pondering on how to display her (yes, already, not even a single coat of  primer yet), considering the "extensions" like the boat boom, and the boats, and an idea is emerging ... that, however, is for a future post

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

You are in a hurry, RGL! It really is going fast these last few kilometers. Looks spiffy though. Will you keep the planes in lacquered condition, or do you plan to spray them with flat varnish ... Now I can't wait to see her finished!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...