HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Thank you Doris for the information about the glues.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Doris,

I think Dan had a point, talking about your entry port being a bit too close to the next gun port. On all models (your links, and others) I see this placed rather symmetrically in between two gun ports, so that all rigging to the guns can be securelly fixed to the inner bullwark.    Perhaps it is not too late to tweak it?
I happen to have a handful of photos of the late Ed Marple's model of his Royal Katherine, exhibited in the Channel Islands Maritime Museum in Oxnard, Southern California (I included one in my earlier post, above). I took them succesively during my numerous visits there, over the years. I don't remember the sources of documentation Mr. Marple used for building his model, only vaguely I seem to recall that he had some drawings from the NMM in London.

If you think that those pictures would be helpful for building your model, let me know and I would be happy to send them to you.

Regards,

Thomas

Hi Doris - 

Thanks for pointing me to the models.  I think I see how it works.  The steps only go up to the level of the entry port, which is offset aft.  This is the officers' entry.  For the rest, a rope ladder, probably with wooden steps, would have been lowered from the rail and over the closed gunport.  In combat it would have been pulled up, of course.

5919423668ab8_large(1)detail.jpg.043af16d361fa163643a5476b1997271.jpg

I saw this feature in some Van de Velde sketches, but thought that the incomplete ladder was just an artistic shortcut.  I should never doubt the master.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

On 14. 5. 2017 at 4:21 AM, Dziadeczek said:

Hi Doris,

I think Dan had a point, talking about your entry port being a bit too close to the next gun port. On all models (your links, and others) I see this placed rather symmetrically in between two gun ports, so that all rigging to the guns can be securelly fixed to the inner bullwark.    Perhaps it is not too late to tweak it?
I happen to have a handful of photos of the late Ed Marple's model of his Royal Katherine, exhibited in the Channel Islands Maritime Museum in Oxnard, Southern California (I included one in my earlier post, above). I took them succesively during my numerous visits there, over the years. I don't remember the sources of documentation Mr. Marple used for building his model, only vaguely I seem to recall that he had some drawings from the NMM in London.

If you think that those pictures would be helpful for building your model, let me know and I would be happy to send them to you.

Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas, 
your help and advice are much appreciated, thank you very much.  If you have more photos of that model, please share here or send me ( my email is doris.obrucova@seznam.cz).

I have thought about the position of entry and tried to simulate on the model, and also my colleagues from the Czech forum helped me and provided additional pictures of RK and other similar ships together with photos of real guns with tackles. The entrance near the gun port also appeared on some other ships including the aforementioned HMS Prince. It seems that even in this position it would be acceptable, cause there is not needed too much space for tackles.

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&p=2004276#p2004276
Of course I am not sure, if my solution is O.K.,  but I try to make the model according to the painting which is the primary source of information for me.

I have noticed that the already existing RK models have many similar elements. I do not know where the modelers had the information from, but when I compared the models with information from professional literature and historical models, I have found some discrepancies that do not correspond to the construction habits of that period. For example the gangway which is done on all models of RK, was used on the real ships after the beginning of the 18th century. But RK is much older and the depicted ship in the painting by Humphrey Vale represents approximately the status after adjustments in 1667-1668.

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=75#p1995721

The gangway could be probably used much later - rather after rebuilding and renaming the ship to HMS Ramillies in 1706. That's just my deduction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Royal_Katherine_(1664)

The bowsprit was out of axis on the real RK, while the models have it always in the axis... Well, it is difficult to determine exactly what is and is not right...;-)

Best regards

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Ed Marple's models, while beautifully made, may not be entirely historically accurate. I'd rely more on primary sources such as van de Velde. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Doris - 

I found the drawing that I was thinking of.  It turned out to be the Royal Katherine herself as drawn by VdV the Elder in 1673 and reproduced in Frank Fox's book "Great Ships - The Battlefleet of King Charles II".  As he shows, the half gangway goes up only to the entry port, which is much closer to the forward gunport than I would have expected.  This may have been forced on the builder by the forward location of the main channel, which would have been much more difficult to move.  

Royal_katherine_1673.jpg.b52c491175df55efc69af2650798f866.jpg

Please be assured that none of this nit-picking detracts in any way from the beautiful work that you are doing.

Be well

Dan 

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

21 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Doris - 

I found the drawing that I was thinking of.  It turned out to be the Royal Katherine herself as drawn by VdV the Elder in 1673 and reproduced in Frank Fox's book "Great Ships - The Battlefleet of King Charles II".  As he shows, the half gangway goes up only to the entry port, which is much closer to the forward gunport than I would have expected.  This may have been forced on the builder by the forward location of the main channel, which would have been much more difficult to move.  

Royal_katherine_1673.jpg.b52c491175df55efc69af2650798f866.jpg

Please be assured that none of this nit-picking detracts in any way from the beautiful work that you are doing.

Be well

Dan 

Hello Dan,
You are right, I understand you. Thank you very much for sharing.When I look at the pictures, it's hard to find the most accurate solution. I'm very interested in the stern gallery in this image - it looks flat compared with the cylindrical shape of galleries on all existing RK models. I plan to make those galleries more flat on my model.
Thank you for bringing me these useful materials and ideas.
Best regards
Doris

Doris

Current build:

Beautiful work Doris and thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you very much, dear Piet. I appreciate your words a lot. 

The ship is already placed on the pedestal and the gun ports are framed, so now I can begin to cover the surface using "wooden" planks - of course made of foil strips.

My feathered assistant almost fell asleep so I stayed alone on my job again ...:D

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Almost. :DShe is very skilful for making varied holes in card by her beak and is able to split up most of the wooden objects - especially tiny blocks in rigging... Sometimes she takes something away and then does not want to return it ... She likes to cling to the ship and then falls asleep.:bird-vi:

Doris

Current build:

Awesome work Doris !!

it looks so clean and accurate, also the warm "wooden" planking tone matches good with the black hull portions...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Doris,
it is amazing how exactly you work. You have developed your technique to the highest level. It is unique, I know nothing comparable.
Please do not let us wait too long until the report continues.

very nicely done........looks like real wood ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic Doris! Love the color of the "fake" wood, looks rel.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Dear friends, 
thank you very much for all your comments and praise. I appreciate your attention and support. That is a great honour for me. 

Now I have a lot of duties and work around the house and I also spend much time on cars´ care/detailing, but I try to continue with RK whenever possible.

How I achieve these accurate and clean results with card and foil planking.....  I use ordinary but very sharp scalpel from Tamiya manufacturer and long ruler to cut foil strips. I do not need any special tools. The strips are cut on a hard cardboard pad. In the same way, I cut cardboard tapes and other parts, but I have to repeat cutting more times because the material is thicker - sometimes up to 2mm. These cut strips are always straight. I shape and bow them during sticking to the model using hot air for attaching foils while I stretch them slightly. For bending the cardboard into the curve I use hot steam. I always attach the strips slightly tightened.

The "wooden" planking is ready and improved with Tamiya colours (thinned with original thinner and retarder - it is easier to apply on the surface then) to achieve more realistic appearance.
Before painting:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Doris - as ever, your talent shines through with a capital T!  Is there a wait list, among your friends, to have their likeness modeled and placed somewhere on the ship?  That is such a wonderful and personal touch that must make the experience of sharing your models that much more rewarding.  If I ever get to know you well enough that you would include me on one of your ships, I hope that you will give my likeness a full hair restoration!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

G'day Doris 

Like everyone, all I can say is bloody marvelous.

Can't wait for the next post.

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Doris - 

What a great artistic eye you have !  Thanks for sharing your techniques and photos.

Dan

Beautiful work Doris and thanks for sharing the hows,

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra