Eagle of Algier 1753 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - 1:48 - Chebec - Nils Langemann

Hi Hakan,

am pleased you like the little figures, they were not so easy to find in scale 1:48......

(not to be taken seriously..)

The captain is the father in Law of J. Sparrow, and he decided to settle down away from the warm Carribian blue waters on his old days, he is now making the North African / mediteranian "Barbary Coast" quite unsafe with his "multy culty" crew.  He has a brand new Chebec under his command, this ship is leased from his pal, Abdul, a merchant, who ordered the ship from the Algerian yard recently...;) :D

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for the laugh Nils!

Please continue building!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

superb progress Nils.. the swivel guns look super,  along with the decorations that adorn the hull  :)   I got word from the admiral,  that I will be doing my first populated project {besides the M&M ship}.   your projects have been a good source of learning material.....when I finally get around to building it,  I certainly hope you follow along  ;)   I'll need all the help I can get!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your appreciative words,

that sounds great if you`ll be starting a populated model, I`ll be pleased to help where ever necessary, and following along.... (if you would need help)

Here a figurine I found on a British web site by coincidence, and its scale 1:48 as well .... Painting is in progress...., arms with sword and pistol will be added after painting

Nils

DSCI6248.JPG

DSCI6256.JPG

DSCI6257.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

26 minutes ago, reklein said:

I needto finish my US Brig Syren to battle your multy culty crew of bandits. :dancetl6:

Good idea Bill,

lets bring some "life and gunsmoke" to the forum....:D

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

sweet! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I like your sense of humor Nils!  The added population of crew really makes the model.  Guns smoke to the forum eh Nils? Well, I am building a kit model of a WW II warship in a diorama, I hope, with guns blazing.

One never knows what'll appear on this forum.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks very much Piet,

that sounds great and promissing, I`ll be looking forward to your diorama......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

little update :

stb side now equiped with small sweep-port shutter doors (open mode), the port side will become closed sweep-ports...

Nils

DSCI6259.thumb.JPG.e5b2dc300f1d465a82a713f19042038d.JPG

DSCI6262.thumb.JPG.33722e9b6103417af4b48bd2413409c9.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Just catching up, you've done a beautiful job on your ship, and that figure really brings it to life, excellent workB)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Patrick and Aldo,

many thanks for your kind and appreciative words.....

Patrick,

a little joke is always granted, as life is serious enough now-a-days, many thanks, pleased you like the progress..

Aldo,

its been a long time since we both had the Pegasus model under way....., thanks for looking in again and for your kind words..

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I'm a bit late to the party, but better than never. since the front row has been taken I'll watch from the rum keg over there and enjoy the show. awesome build! 

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

Hi Denis,

thanks for stepping aboard, you`re very welcome, its nice to see you here. And thank you for your kind words.

Greetings to Zagreb...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I just spent the last hour going through your log and some of your completed logs.  Can't believe I missed this one!  What a beautiful project!  

I have to agree with everyone that your use of figures really brings your models to life.  I'm also so impressed by how you have managed to find external detail pieces like the decorative brass railings and added them to the model so seamlessly.  That decorative brass rail in particular worked very nicely. 

Thanks for posting such a detailed log.  I learned a lot of tips and techniques going through it.  For example, that hollow drill bit worked out very well.  Also, your work with cast resin for the ornamentation looks like a very good technique that us fellow modelers should learn.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike,

welcome to the log viewing audience for the Chebec and also for your much appreciated kind words and that intensive dip into the log.

As you could see I`m not building the Amati kit version, and so nearly all building sequences are redesigned / bashed and in larger scale. I thought that there would be an interest by my fellow builders how I solved this, and decided to share the activities with others, in case someone should be tempted to scratch build from a drawing plan

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Chebec crew posing for a group photo....., six of them missed the appointment date with the photographer, they are still drinking and eating under deck....

Nils

DSCI6278.thumb.JPG.878e471419e4545a91718cddfcc4c085.JPG

DSCI6281.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Carl,

very much appreciated. This morning I painted the EOA underwater section in white paint...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Quite the motley crew.  They will certainly bring the ship to life!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Many thanks Mike,

I brought a bit of color to the hul below the walesl, white and a bit ocher sections, but no more to the hull. Perhaps a little dull black to the bow head-rails when they are mounted...... I`m using tamiya tape for masking, which I find very clean to work with...

Nils

DSCI6282.thumb.JPG.73314cef2ff60e80460d7217ef3b16fb.JPG

DSCI6283.thumb.JPG.b40d51061d6a74f822d5ceb99dae3d4d.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A really elegant sweep to the ship, Nils.  Very nicely done.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you Dan,

very much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

You have an artist's eye Nils, that little touch of yellow is a great idea.

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you Piet,

yes, I liked the look of the planking as before, but it was also a bit bare to look at. So the yellow touch provides an optical improvement and it goes quite well with the black and white...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A small update...

yesterday made the support taking up the boom which the bottom line of the aft sail is rigged to, and the seat of ease (port aft corner) and a little bucket for flushing with sea water....., might need to install a light half high rail there for hanging a small curtain to (for personal privacy). Also the bow anchor cable cleats

Nils

DSCI6285.thumb.JPG.0ce2e0dd5b408337b9d48cf6026cb42e.JPG

DSCI6287.thumb.JPG.47dbd172bfa240dd513194c2cda2f209.JPG

DSCI6289.thumb.JPG.8bd86293a892cbd174aa18673f98370e.JPG

a look under the aft quarter deck. The companionway housing for the foreground stairs will be one of the next sequences in progress....

DSCI6291.thumb.JPG.d1c6c0b16d54e1f3af6af5c74e883105.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

fantastic work with the figurines.... though in the past I didnt like the idea, now I believe it really gives life to the models.... Actually it brings out the historical charachter of the build in  a cinematografiecal way. Am doing it now  my self on Hermione as you may have noticed. 

great work Nils ,as we are always used to see from you!

ps whats the link  to the british side you found that great pirate figurine?

Thank you very much Christos,

for the pirate figurine, have a look here :   http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=pirate-captain-(limited-bronze-resin)~hfp024b&category=fantasy-%26 steampunk~fantasy-pirates

Cheers, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update :

the companionway down to the lower deck ready for mounting.....

there is a sliding head hatch cover, to enable crew to enter the stairway in upright position. The companionway can be arranged in either open or closed mode...

Nils

DSCI6293.thumb.JPG.244a9130da578fc0e7cfff929b6c4e8b.JPG

the slide function is given with brass profiles

DSCI6294.thumb.JPG.83d5031aa2749b6845486754224f1b8b.JPG

DSCI6296.thumb.JPG.562bdbf8ec1f5ce4243ec6917f192dde.JPG

DSCI6298.thumb.JPG.aa9f0d44d4ed913d43293d2d10408f2d.JPG

DSCI6299.thumb.JPG.c0febfba1ff162c8c0b172293558850a.JPG

A little stepway with handrail leads up to the grating platform...

DSCI6300.thumb.JPG.2c7701e3fc7b011fa036fe38bb1f1a37.JPG

the boom here in place is  only a dummy to check alignment and angle...

DSCI6301.thumb.JPG.307d4913777da01fd5de87ff8db1c880.JPG

there is hardly space for the cleat in front of the pumps

DSCI6302.thumb.JPG.1365231cde77f776bb00eb701eea35ff.JPG

DSCI6303.thumb.JPG.583d171e391fa32b6d61b2682e999b43.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed