SMS Seydlitz by Canute, Cog, Stein Gildberg & RGL - FINISHED - Hobbyboss - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Marvelous build, RGL, another star in your collection. Again improvement on your paint, and weathering techniques. Less invading, and even more realistic, if that was at all possible. Add some B&W photographs ... I would like to see what she looks like compared tp the real "thing"

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Again: just the missing sailors that make the difference tothe real thing.

The pic showing her in your cupboard shows how small this large ship is, and how large your skills are. 

The only thing against Zeppelin is that it was never finished. All models showing her weathered and with airplanes show a rather fictional world: Graf Zeppelin never was in active service nor in any war. Ended life as a Russian target-ship around 1950.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Amazing job Greg!

I've always shied away from trying to weather my models because I've seen so many otherwise great builds ruined by a heavy hand but you have an excellent sense of what will work - your models are the most realistic I've seen. You ought to see if the film industry is hiring for special effects model making!

It was a pleasure to watch this take shape.

Tim

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Fantastic model. The weathering details are superb, you'd think it was the actual ship!

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Unbelievably brilliant, Greg. A magnificent build - the complexity and detail, and of course the weathering. What an amazing result.

I have to ask, though. What did you use for the nets? I'm going to need something similarly fine if I want to put boarding nettings on my Great Harry.

Steven

Just came across this ship log and am impressed by the amount of detail that can be achieved at such a small scale!  I have a hard enough time struggling with 1:96 scale. 

Two things struck me about those photos of this ship shown with its' battle damage that really stood out..  One, is that it was still afloat after all of those hits.  Did the shells explode after piercing the hull or just cut through?  I would have expected much more damage if they had exploded internally. 

And two, how on earth did they manage to turn such a huge ship upside down in a dry dock in the first place to repair the bottom of the hull without causing more damage.  (Imagine if you were to take a large structure designed to be built upright like a building and could even manage to turn it over, the thing would just collapse onto itself.)

I also seem to recall that the primary turrets were held down in their casements by gravity alone and would just drop out.  They must have removed major portions of the superstructure prior to inverting the ship.

One more thing that seems to be lacking to me as far as those torpedo nets go, is the fact that they didn't extend to protect the bow and stern of the ship.  A torpedo strike in the bow would, if nothing else, dramatically decrease her speed.  Likewise, a strike in the stern could leave her without maneuverability and driving power.  These unprotected areas would seem to be more critical to the ships function than a strike in the middle where her armor belt was already the heaviest. 

If their primary function was to protect the ship from torpedoes while at anchor rather than when underway, a full length floating torpedo net system set up alongside the anchored ship would seem to have been more effective.  (Like in Pearl Harbor for instance.)  Perhaps those were some of the reasons that the WWII era capital ships no longer employed torpedo nets in their design.  

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

OYes, the shells were usually explosive. The photo where the ship is upside down is when it was recovered from the sea floor after it was scuttled. They subsequently cut it up for scrap. 

The torpedo nets, I can’t really talk to that, apart from the fact they were abandoned mid war. 

Edited by RGL

Greg

Steven, try SpotLight or similar store for some fine 'tulle' - amazing how fine you can get.  Sorry to hijack Greg.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Most magnificent accomplishment Greg - BRAVO!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

19 hours ago, RGL said:

Comes with the Infini upgrade

Thanks, Greg. Can you get the nets separately, or do you have to buy a whole lot of stuff that may never be needed (I don't expect I'll ever be making a Seydlitz)?

Pat, if I can't get the netting by itself I'll probably follow your advice. Fortunately my wife knows everything about fabric!

Steven.

• 4 weeks later...

Other issues at this time. Sorry for a lack of time.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just remember the nets were dropped (unfurled) from the torpedo net shelves. Gravity did the work, The booms were then pulled out via ropes to the capstans. In reverse, the capstans pulled the booms back in, then the brails were used to pull or furl them up. You can see from the pulleys on the deck attached to the rope that runs along the deck would be used to do that via the Brails. So brail, rope, capstan. 

Edited by RGL

Greg

• 1 month later...

Especially for Sam (so he finally starts working on his own build) ... movement registered at the yard ...

392438515_Untitled-2copy.thumb.jpg.484f607fc08c08facc32c9ec17f8495f.jpg1433603059_Untitled-1copy.thumb.jpg.a76360027c48cf6b2fdb07359d77ff1b.jpg

Couldn't get the halves nice and flush, so I'll be filling and sanding a bit

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...