USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

35 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Tennessee greets me silhouetted in one of the south facing windows

And what a beautiful greeting it is!

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Looks good Keith, starting to show all her glory now.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice Keith!  The silhouette is a delightful image - so peaceful and evocative of a distant time.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Each of you are very special to me, God bless you and keep you safe and warm during the Holidays and throughout the New Year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

image.png.4ad03e1fa4d5d3be9b07f028db6c347b.png

Best wishes to you and your family Keith. My brother in law in Arizona says it might be as cold as 60f and that the barbecue Turkey may have to be eaten with jumpers on. Keep warm.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Merry Christmas!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Keith.  Stay warm and safe.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Merry Christmas Keith, and best wishes for a Happy 2023. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Keith!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Season’s greetings Keith!  Wishing you and yours, peace and happiness for the new year.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the saddle again. A heart felt "thank you" to all of you for the kind comments, likes, and seasons wishes.

It's been a very long time (too long) since I've posted any actual work progress. It's mostly due to the fact that so much of this work is rote and and until recently, during those mindless moments, my mind would drift to things I'd rather not think about but once past Christmas all that seems to have passed. I find myself stealing a couple of hours here and a couple of hours there to go upstairs and work on the Tennessee and I'm enjoying the time I spend working on her. So much so that I've made a New Year's resolution, to finish the Tennessee this year, well, at least the rigging. :)

I've been working on the main mast and all that's needed are the ratlines. Once again I'll be using the weaving method as this works best for me at this scale. A good days work should see that task completed. I'd like to have a sunny day to do the ratlines but sunny days in a Michigan winter are few and far between so it'll probably be a cloudy day but oh well. 

Again, thank you.

Keith

FD9BB85F-6D1C-4E53-AA0A-D2283A26BAA9.jpeg

C1CABC24-3668-4F76-B195-C8DB73DF049E.jpeg

9221BAA9-A5E5-4724-982E-276979A985B4.jpeg

CE2A5192-9CA0-4331-9E68-88DFDC70B1B4.jpeg

2E450E49-9900-4EC4-B3EF-005FDD675FDF.jpeg

Edited by Keith Black

Love your work, Keith.  Everything is so clean and crisp.  Glad to see you back in the shop!  Can't wait to see the remaining stages of this beauty come together.  

17 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

Love your work, Keith.  Everything is so clean and crisp.  Glad to see you back in the shop!  Can't wait to see the remaining stages of this beauty come together.  

Bump! Glad your back at it. 😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

So glad to see you back at the bench again Keith! I can’t wait to delve into the upcoming updates.

Kind of the opposite with the sunny days, I tend to find myself wanting to work on a build more on the cloudy days and wanting to be outside on the sunny ones. Of course wintertime sunny days can be a bit deceiving sometimes here in Texas, I can only imagine a sunny day in Michigan in the winter. I’m sure that would change my thinking in a hurry. 

-Brian

Ditto the above comments.  Excellent clean work!  It’s so good to see an update on the Tennessee Keith.  I’ve always enjoyed reading your log and looking forward to more. 

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

15 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Thank you Glen, you're too kind.

15 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Bump! Glad your back at it.

Dave, thank you. It feels good to be working again on the Tennessee again, a missing part of my life is missing no more. 

14 hours ago, mbp521 said:

So glad to see you back at the bench again Keith! I can’t wait to delve into the upcoming updates.

Thank you Brian for the encouragement, it means so much. 

13 hours ago, TBlack said:

Keith, bro,

You're setting a standard for family modelers that I'm having difficulty meeting. Can't you make a mistake once in awhile?

Tom

PS I don't care what you think; mom clearly loved you the best!

Dear Tom, i wish this nonsense was mistake free. Maybe someday I'll reach the achievement level of my big brother. 

11 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Ditto the above comments.  Excellent clean work!  It’s so good to see an update on the Tennessee Keith.  I’ve always enjoyed reading your log and looking forward to more.

Thank you Gary, you and your kind words are inspiration. 

A huge thank you to all for your comments and likes. It makes the mind numbing task so much easier to bear. 

25 minutes ago, clearway said:

nice to see you back with her Keith- sounds like trying to get nice weather in cumbria!

Thank you Keith. Here in Michigan during the winter we can count on two hands the number of sunny days we'll get. Winter Blues here is a very real thing. 

On 1/15/2023 at 9:21 PM, Keith Black said:

finish the Tennessee this year, well, at least the rigging.

A man after my own heart. I’m all for open ended commitments and flexible targets. At our age it’s good to have a bit of wriggle room. 
Lovely neat work on the rigging. May the sun shine brightly on your next task.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

14 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

Hey - back in the saddle! HNY to you too.

Thank you Andy.

14 hours ago, KeithAug said:

A man after my own heart. I’m all for open ended commitments and flexible targets. At our age it’s good to have a bit of wriggle room. 
Lovely neat work on the rigging. May the sun shine brightly on your next task.

Keith, thank you for the kind wish. May the sun shine brightly on all, may we find joy in all things given to us. 

Last night I started weaving the ratlines on the port side. I quit for the evening when I broke a #12 needle. I'll rejoin the battle this morning once I become fully awake.  

Thank you to all for the likes and kind comments. 

Keith

Edited by Keith Black

2 hours ago, TBlack said:

How do you break a needle? That must be a first!

A #12 needle is a tiny little bugger, it's very thin. When pulling the needle through the shroud lines, the eye of the needle and the ratline thread doubled must pass through the shroud lines. It's a bit of a tug and most of the time I use a pair of jewelry needle nose pliers to pull the needle through. I work from right to left and I was pulling through the far left line and got lazy. Using my left hand I had my index finger on the backside closer to the tip and the needle squeezed between my thumb and middle finger nearer the eye. A little tug, a little pressure, and snap!

A small needle snapping in half while being held between your fingers is a bit disquieting. All sorts of imagined ill pass through your mind so I withdrew for the evening. And yes, I gave myself a good scolding. :)