U-552 by yvesvidal - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/48 - PLASTIC - Type VIIC U-boat

Yves,  

I agree with everyone on this. Truly an amazing piece of artwork, craftsmanship, and model building. You are a treasure to the hobby and an inspiration to us all. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

the lighting is awesome!   really highlights the detail you've added.   are you gonna replace the sonar light?   she's a sweet look'in model!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the lighting is awesome!   really highlights the detail you've added.   are you gonna replace the sonar light?   she's a sweet look'in model!  ;) 

I wish I could. It is not possible....this stuff is buried in the Radio/Sonar module and totally unreachable. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things....

Yves

That's all well and good, until that 1/48th British destroyer shows up! Then they'll be cursing you for slacking on the sonar bulb! 🙂

too bad..........still doesn't take away from the outstanding job you've done so far :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow! An amazing build so far.

I just received this kit myself, and am eagerly awaiting to dive into it myself. It may take some waiting though, as I want to get the RCSubs PE detail sets as well, but they've temporarily moved their business operations into creating PPE during this Covid pandemic. Cheers to them for helping out the medical community, jeers to me for being impatient. I've also bought the light and sound kit from Magic Scale Modeling, as I don't know anything about electrical, and their kit is largely plug and play.

I'm definitely going to take some cues from your build, Yves. You've really elevated this kit into a real museum piece. Can't wait to see the finished model!

A quick update on the conning tower. I just finished cutting and filing three pieces of clear cylinders, from the transparent sprue. They are then painted clear green, clear red and clear yellow, using Tamiya paints. Let's verify that it works electrically: 

DSC04573.thumb.JPG.7efd49e331a6e9d02385328df3a0255f.JPG

DSC04574.thumb.JPG.09f315f418baaa9c2683a69337b1f9c9.JPG

Intensity of the lights will be adjusted when the conning tower is glued to the hull.

Yves

On 3/7/2019 at 2:07 PM, Jim Rogers said:

“The Trumpeter kit is an enlargement of the Revell kit and all mistakes of the original Revell kit have been carried over to the Trumpeter model“

sounds pirated and then enlarged...Just sayin’

Standard Trumpeter practices. The plastic model bunch don’t seem to put as big a deal on it because the Chinese stuff is usually a different scale, etc. 

But they recreate every problem of the copied kit, warts and all. 
Add to that reboxings, mold sharing, etc, and it’s tough to tell what’s real and what’s pirated. 

But Trumpeter’s two best 1/32 aircraft models, the Douglas SBD and the Grumman TBM are both blatant pantograph enlargements of 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures kits. 

Nevertheless, this build is truly mind blowing. 

Edited by ErnieL

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

5 hours ago, ErnieL said:

But Trumpeter’s two best 1/32 aircraft models, the Douglas SBD and the Grumman TBM are both blatant pantograph enlargements of 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures kits. 

Unlikely. That sort of old-fashioned copying is not really done anymore. 99% of models are created first in CAD, which means companies can license their CAD files to whomever they wish. Especially in a case like this where Trumpeter wanted to do a larger scale model, so the two products between Revell and Trumpter don't clash because they occupy different segments of the market. Even older models are being scanned to create digital CAD masters, for ease of reproduction and licensing in the future. Heck, I'm working on a Revell Star Destroyer right now that was originally a Zvezda model. Revell licensed it, reboxed it, and that was about it. The sprues even still say "Zvezda" on them. For better or worse, when licensing a product on the model world, there's little incentive to go back and correct any errors present from the original model. The Revell kits were already extremely popular as is, so Trumpeter saw no need to go back in and spend more money correcting what they saw as errors most modelers were willing to overlook or correct on their own.

This sub model is the Revell model, but licensed and upscaled. Just like the interior modules are the CMK interior kits for the Revell sub, licensed and upscaled to fit this Trumpeter kit. Nothing nefarious such as copying or pirating going on, just cold, hard business and money changing hands. 🤑

Great work on the navigation lighting Yves!

Good to see you are going to tone them down a bit. Otherwise it makes an easy target for the sub hunters. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

4 hours ago, Kitzilla said:

Unlikely. That sort of old-fashioned copying is not really done anymore. 99% of models are created first in CAD, which means companies can license their CAD files to whomever they wish. Especially in a case like this where Trumpeter wanted to do a larger scale model, so the two products between Revell and Trumpter don't clash because they occupy different segments of the market. Even older models are being scanned to create digital CAD masters, for ease of reproduction and licensing in the future. Heck, I'm working on a Revell Star Destroyer right now that was originally a Zvezda model. Revell licensed it, reboxed it, and that was about it. The sprues even still say "Zvezda" on them. 

This sub model is the Revell model, but licensed and upscaled. Just like the interior modules are the CMK interior kits for the Revell sub, licensed and upscaled to fit this Trumpeter kit. Nothing nefarious such as copying or pirating going on, just cold, hard business and money changing hands. 🤑

I hope you’re right, because my opinion of regular Chinese business practices (not just Trumpeter) lies somewhere lower than the level of a garden slug. 

Im all my years, I have yet to build abTrumpeter kit, although I will do the Arizona as the Pennsylvania, and the Hood backdated to her 1930s wave the flag South Pacific Cruise. 

On Deck:

Yeah, I understand that about a lot of Chinese companies. Trumpeter is quite a giant in the industry though, so any actual "pirating" wouldn't go unnoticed, or punished, for long. I've done a quite a few Trumpeter kits as well, and they're always a pleasure to work on.

Modelling seems to be more of a "respected" industry in China and Japan as well, so you get less shenanigans going on there than in other sectors. With big-daddy Tamiya watching over everyones shoulders around the Pacific Rim, no one company wants to step out of line and get banished from the modeling community.

13 minutes ago, Kitzilla said:

Yeah, I understand that about a lot of Chinese companies. Trumpeter is quite a giant in the industry though, so any actual "pirating" wouldn't go unnoticed, or punished, for long. I've done a quite a few Trumpeter kits as well, and they're always a pleasure to work on.

Modelling seems to be more of a "respected" industry in China and Japan as well, so you get less shenanigans going on there than in other sectors. With big-daddy Tamiya watching over everyones shoulders around the Pacific Rim, no one company wants to step out of line and get banished from the modeling community.

My sense is that it's the wood kits are the one's being pirated the most as they're comparatively easy to copy and make.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

22 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

My sense is that it's the wood kits are the one's being pirated the most as they're comparatively easy to copy and make.

Yep.  The model industry and market over there is massive. Here we’re seen as the nerdy bunch, but there, you’re right, it is respected. I better quit. We’re close to hijacking a build log. LOL

On Deck:

8 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Great work on the navigation lighting Yves!

Good to see you are going to tone them down a bit. Otherwise it makes an easy target for the sub hunters. 

-Brian

I don't think they switched on their nav lights when they surfaced in the operations area.

Let's stick to this great plastic Trumpeter kit.

You pulled a rabbit out of the hat with that tower, Yves, magnificent, as has this whole build been so far ... any more surprises to follow? The lighting is almost a show to set off the sub. Marvelous!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

11 hours ago, cog said:

Let's stick to this great plastic Trumpeter kit.

You pulled a rabbit out of the hat with that tower, Yves, magnificent, as has this whole build been so far ... any more surprises to follow? The lighting is almost a show to set off the sub. Marvelous!

Yves has lit my fire, guys. The more you study it, the more you see.  

On Deck:

• 3 weeks later...

I realized I had not posted any updates, recently. Reasons were multiple: 

- Waiting for parts and materials to finish the submersible.

- Started the construction of two motorcycles Honda CB750 at the same time (what was I thinking...?)

- Started restoring another pinball machine.... Bally Playboy 1978

Anyway, a major milestone was achieved recently with the gluing of the conning tower on the deck: 

DSC04647.thumb.JPG.7ddb36d08341183b321a1e3b15958ee1.JPG

DSC04649.thumb.JPG.b965d921a6ab1a62439332c97c017fb2.JPG

DSC04648.thumb.JPG.86a7fcfce692d68c0814fa1f24a8702c.JPG

DSC04650.thumb.JPG.7ff4a887e383ba197329bcbff9774aa9.JPG

It is starting to look like a Type-VIIc now: 

DSC04651.thumb.JPG.233f76907fdcde49a917f1476ce4145a.JPG

DSC04652.thumb.JPG.787a851ea1afa78f25804169bba5d1ba.JPG

Next will be the rigging, that I have been preparing, while waiting for some elastic thread.

Yves

Starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel yet? Haha. Man, that is a milestone achievement. Looking fantastic.

Mmm, 1978 Playboy pinball machine. Oh yeah, 12 years old...fond memories. That was the one I made a beeline for. Plus it was a good play (I think?!).

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

• 4 weeks later...

Yves,

Just catching up WOA!!! -- :imNotWorthy::imNotWorthy:  Superb project in all areas.

Also such an interesting insight into these, then, such feared and dreaded machines.

Your log has been an also great learning experience indeed. 

Years ago I saw the 5 hour German Das Boot German TV series - Just discovered it again on HULU - PS: This one must be listened to in German,

the dubbed version is IMO much weaker. May watch the series again. 

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Good to hear it’s still ongoing. Looking forward to more updates. 

-Brian

No rush, Yves.  I think model ship builders are a pretty patient lot by nature.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

I have been working on the rigging of the submarine (among other things unrelated to modeling) but I am not finished yet and thus will not show my progress. The main gun is next.

Trumpeter implementation of the gun is not the best you can find and after-market manufacturers such as Shapeways (and others), will have a blast in proposing some serious improvements: 

DSC04679.thumb.JPG.6ce410fb9271cc0b771f6fba0754414e.JPG

Fortunately, RCSubs comes to the rescue with a lot of details. However, finding the parts and understanding how to place them, requires some serious thinking and looking at the real gun on pictures which are most of the time blurry and washed out by the sun and the salt. Here are the instructions from RCSubs: 

DSC04680.thumb.JPG.ab17cd7fe29a403dff31cd717b1f76ba.JPG

DSC04681.thumb.JPG.fe537ef26a06b00f9cea5986c85e7ddd.JPG

I wish they had grayed out or indicated in a better way, which section of the Trumpeter parts need to be cut and removed. It is not too clear....

Anyway, this is where I stand so far: 

DSC04682.thumb.JPG.7cd4dc4621f9cfb46235c6e490e92521.JPG

Yves