HMS HOOD by Salty Dog - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC - w/Pontos PE

Hello all,

I have been working on my Mikasa and today I worked on the display.  I am going to do the torpedo nets AFTER it's in the case. It's too fragile to move around.  In the meantime....

I thought I'd start a log on my next project which I recently started.  I did some work on my HMS Hood. As per the Mikasa, I am NOT going to paint the PE.  AND, I'm going to paint the ship in rainbow colors!  Just kidding. But I am going to seriously deviate from your typical warship. It's going to be mostly black, except for the hull and the PE, which will be brass.

When I was young, I fell in love with a 1/8 scale model of the John Player Special, made by Entex. I absolutely loved that black and gold. It's affected me throughout the years.  Just love that brash contrast.  So I will paint my Hood like that.  Hope I don't offend too many, and most of all, I hope many like it.

Tonight I worked on the "After Structure" as Pontos calls it.

Here we go:

20180526_124131.jpg

20190601_214011.jpg

20190601_214028.jpg

20190601_214044.jpg

Gidday Salty Dog.

I am in the same boat as you, please forgive the pun, re the colour scheme. I think the contrast is fantastic. We all must remember this is your model and you are the final arbiter on what is right.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours,

Mark.

Edited by pontiachedmark
Insert missing letter

42 minutes ago, CDW said:

Wow, that's spotless. How do you keep the dust off it?

Constantly! I have my airbrush right next to me so I use it to blow off the dust, but it is a real pain.  After a little bit of sanding and filing and we're back to square one!  The hardest thing because of the black color is the CA glue "frosting". I have to keep touching it up or it shows up everywhere.

21 minutes ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Salty Dog.

I am in the same boat as you, please forgive the pun, re the colour scheme. I think the contrast is fantastic. We all must remember this is you model and you are the final arbiter on what is right.

Mark.

Thanks Mark! I airbrushed this part tonight:

10101.jpg.419eb5364880ae2d486f1339a3b39ad9.jpg

And it looks fantastic in black!  I'm using semi-gloss, so it gets just the right sheen.  I'll take a pic after I work on it a bit.

Glad you like the colors.

Another quickie.  This is a picture of the parts stacking up, and with ladders installed.

Also, I picture of the parts to make the paravanes. Unfortunately, there is a part missing from the kit.  A total of 8 pieces that attach as air tanks to the paravanes.  I contacted Pontos. They have come through before, so I don't expect any problems getting those parts.

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.dd88f943589257b99b25ecce7747e786.JPG

Edited by Salty Dog

Wonderful idea :) Love it.

Is this the 1/350 or the 1/200?

Cant really tell from the pictures...

Kind regards

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

Hood is my favorite “modern” warship. I especially like her 1930s look, but any Hood makes my day. She must be a monster in 200th! It must and probably will be and endless amount of detail work at that scale, we’ll worth it! Somehow I think you’re up to the task.

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Kurt, it is huge.  I like it because it's so sleek. It's like a modern day Cutty Sark. All modern warships have their personalities. I really like the Japanese Nagato and Yamato. Beautiful ships.  I wish Trumpeter would make a nice version of the Yamato. The Tamiya 1/350 is gorgeous, but I like BIG!

When they first started coming out with the big ones, I was hoping they would do a Hood. Then I had the space, now I don’t, just my luck. Are you familiar with EJFoeth? He’s been building a model of her for probably 20 years! He’s the go to Hood guy. He posts or used to post on ModelWarships. He has tons of photos. He has a site Ontheslipway.com. also.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I don't know what happened to the heading. I specified 1/200 and it's gone. Been retitled.

Thanks for the compliments!

Fixed it for you.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

21 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Unfortunately, there is a part missing from the kit.  A total of 8 pieces that attach as air tanks to the paravanes.  I contacted Pontos. They have come through before, so I don't expect any problems getting those parts.

Ed

I've never needed to contact Pontos, so I am interested how you requested the missing parts. Did you contact them via email or ???

Never know when I may need to do the same, so would like to be prepared.

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Thank you sir, I appreciate that.

You don't have to call me "sir"... I'm enlisted and I work for a living.  :P:P:P:P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Ed

I've never needed to contact Pontos, so I am interested how you requested the missing parts. Did you contact them via email or ???

Never know when I may need to do the same, so would like to be prepared.

I went to the Pontos Website and got the email address from there.

help@pontosmodel.com

Took them a few days to respond but I did get the parts I needed in the past. Actually more than I asked for.  I had lost a few parts of an assembly, offered to buy them, and they sent me the entire sheet. 

2 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Salty Dog.

It is a pity about the missing parts. Hopefully the wait will not impede the build.

I certainly hope the parts arrive in a timely fashion.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

It's only the paravanes, which could be the last thing that I put on the model, so it's ok.  Might not even notice them missing! haha.  I"m sure they'll send them.

Take care

Ed

Salt, my friend, I think you just killed my hobby budget. My Commodore has been after me to do a "don't paint the PE" project for some time. She just saw your latest project which, if I may add, is outstanding. She really likes it and I'm getting that look. We all know what that look means🙄

Thanks for sharing your log

Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

6 hours ago, tigerdvr said:

Salt, my friend, I think you just killed my hobby budget. My Commodore has been after me to do a "don't paint the PE" project for some time. She just saw your latest project which, if I may add, is outstanding. She really likes it and I'm getting that look. We all know what that look means🙄

Harley

Hi Harley!

Haha, women look at things differently. I think I have a very strong "woman" gene when it comes to some things.  I like "pretty" stuff as mentioned in my opening.  I do a lot of stuff to please my wife and daughter...and other women haha.  I do other "girly" stuff. When I'm not working on my motorcycle, I'm cross stitching haha.  Here's a sample of that.

20160520_203056.thumb.jpg.0899db25fb5b4fbc6005fb38ef520cd3.jpg

20160714_002830.thumb.jpg.e226959e39e781cc98f7a36c3a1413a2.jpg

6 hours ago, tigerdvr said:

Harley

Edited by Salty Dog