HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

Thanks Glenn and Chuck.

Yes it is a fun project. The design is such that a great result can be achieved with out a lot of stress. Work through each section and they can’t be rushed. 
Thanks for all the likes too. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've continued to work my way aft building one section at a time. Still some clean up and touch up needed.

IMG_1669.thumb.JPG.95b59f6a131213f64a9897de7af37a71.JPGIMG_1670.thumb.JPG.84fef5d903fcb81b3dba74531137c8be.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Beautiful model Rusty!  So now that you’re almost finished what will you do next😀?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

7 hours ago, glbarlow said:

So now that you’re almost finished what will you do next😀?

Hey Glenn, I guess after 3 years and ten out of twelve chapters almost finished, I'm "almost" done? 😂

Well Chucks Speedwell is at the top of the list with Chris's Indefatigable. I also received

Pavel Nikitin's Captain John Smith's Shallop as a fun little side project.

But first I have many months of work on the Winnie yet to complete. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

19 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

ten out of twelve chapters

My bad, I thought you were on chapter 12. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 12/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, bdgiantman2 said:

Hey Rusty, want to join me in building a model of the Brig Eagle from 1814?

Thank you for the invitation. I have looked in on your build and you have made a good start. Unfortunately, I have a few months to go on the Winnie before she's finished. Also, I am already committed to the Speedwell project. So, at this point I don't feel I would have the time to properly spend with you on the Eagle. If I can, I would offer what little knowledge I have to you.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

On 12/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, glbarlow said:

My bad, I thought you were on chapter 12. 

Not a problem Glenn. You'll know when I'm on chapter 12 and doing the head gratings. You'll be able to hear the cussing all the way to your house. :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I finished the last portion of the rail with the timber heads and the transom cap was worked on. It appears that I was a little negligent taking pictures. I'd like to blame it on the camera, but it was me. You can see the shaping of the curved portion of the cap rail partially completed. Chucks template was used to determine the heights of the stern frames with some minor sanding to get the heights right.

IMG_1677.thumb.JPG.935f9717fe9ff937773163b6be6922d3.JPGIMG_1678.thumb.JPG.3e04fc76c0ea5aa2327f03136bd25d6b.JPGIMG_1706.thumb.JPG.9258d5e6dff13875041821e3bd49c8c0.JPG

The top rail for the sides was completed and the fairleads added. 

IMG_1703.thumb.JPG.d36e1d9b18df0b94acff3a18f5339ff2.JPGIMG_1704.thumb.JPG.816c71c7f0847ee6da87cac2d6e8227f.JPGIMG_1705.thumb.JPG.1c581d72582d369f3248685617576dba.JPGIMG_1707.thumb.JPG.f7d9000c324af5251298b3eb6adc84d6.JPG

Now there are eight more cannon carriages to assemble for the six pounders. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Excellent work, all that fine detail really stands out. Always a joy to see your progress as my inspiration. 

Regards,

Glenn

Thank you, Chuck, Mike, Glenn and Matt!

I was apprehensive about doing the stern rail but the supplied template made it much easier.

I still more eye bolts and rings to make too. :) 

Thanks for all the like too. Very much appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you Joe!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks JJ. Yes she's winding down to the final two chapters and really a happy/sad thought! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finished and placed the remaining eight 6 pounders on the quarter deck as well as the last eight 12 pounders on the gun deck. That completes chapter 10. Before I start chapter 11. I still have to go back and put on the gunport lids. I've been holding off on placing them until the last minute to lessen the chance of accidentally knocking them off. I can't wait any longer now. :) 

IMG_1711.thumb.JPG.f735813fc8949ab87776e7a39a88aec8.JPGIMG_1712.thumb.JPG.afb3fbe76fbb27cf6391943583c9eabb.JPGIMG_1710.thumb.JPG.dd8cbbe023dafef939734a09c03c5ab9.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Now that you have excellent experience with the guns can I send you mine to make😁

You continue to impress, looking really good!

Regards,

Glenn

Thank you Mike. You've long been an inspiration!

Yes JJ the gun carriages are done now I see there are a bunch of swivel guns yet to do! :)

Hey Glenn send them along and I'll get them back to you in say .... a year or two. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress has been made though most of it is preparation work.

I did put the hinge pins on the remaining gunport lids and installed them.

IMG_1714.thumb.JPG.c91e49c3263c8d7111416a3992c1a35c.JPGIMG_1715.thumb.JPG.9d794191fb163b05eded70c1f9498b10.JPG

I then worked on the channels, sanding the char and gluing the layers as Chuck described. I too used the Scotch spray adhesive on them.

After they were dry, I also put on a coat of wipe on poly.

IMG_1729.thumb.JPG.e0b0d2bdccaa06bb89c1f310069fd2c6.JPG

Next I assembled the 5mm deadeyes from Syren, sanded them and dyed them dark brown. Also here are the acrylic strops, chainplates and straps. I have to lightly sand them with 400 grit and then apply some weathering power.

IMG_1735.JPG.97073e60a630b2d79a1a036e2742b692.JPG

IMG_1727.thumb.JPG.beb7169a47d52178e4c1f895e91a4085.JPG

Once I assemble and finish the 6 mm deadeyes, I'll start placing the channels and deadeyes on the Winnie.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Such nice looking work as always. So much detail, I’m sure it is enjoyable to be at this point of the project.

Regards,

Glenn

Thank you Mike. Yes they were fun to do.

Hi Glenn, Yes it is very enjoyable, though it means I'm now much closed to the end than the beginning.

Thanks Chuck. They are well designed and went through without any issues.

Thanks all for the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly making some progress on the starboard side. The channels have been placed in their positions. Before adding the straps, I heated the ends of a pair of small needle nose pliers over a candle and bent them as Chuck described. The straps were then added and pinned. I then put all of the deadeyes in the strops and placed them in the correct locations. The chainplates and stools were added and are ready for pinning them to the hull. 

IMG_1736.thumb.JPG.a79a4177f247753692550b120fa32f83.JPGIMG_1737.thumb.JPG.f3a37768046c07f77fa8dfb3329b6a1e.JPGIMG_1739.thumb.JPG.e45201aab1bf50db33fabe309eb49063.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

It all looks so nice. The deadeyes look like a row of the ‘wow’ emojis, which is a perfect response to your work. The pear and cherry makes for such a special Winnie.

Regards,

Glenn