HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

While waiting for chapter11 parts, I looked for thing to do that did not require the parts. I decided on two. The first was the hull steps. Rather than using a scraper on a single strip of wood, as shown by Chuck, I opted to use a method I have used in the past, using two wood strips” . I used a 1/32” x 3/32” strip for the top of the step and a 1/16” x 1/16” strip for the bottom. For the frieze covered step, I could not successfully print on tissue paper, so just used printer paper with Titebond to wet the paper enough to fold and bend it over the step. The ends of that step were painted to match the frieze. Overall, I am pleased with the results.

The second item I did was to drill out the outer portion of the hull scuppers, a detail Chuck has chosen not to show. The holes were painted a dark gray, using an extra fine microbrush.

Bob

16AC35FB-F3CA-4EA7-A81F-3FC7604897BA.jpeg

0976B705-F2D2-435A-B0D1-02BA98C26159.jpeg

2DB84F62-DE25-4C40-B091-A6372FE1DDD0.jpeg

4B991784-C9FE-49C0-8D17-38C54DEFFE25.jpeg

BE1AD4BC-C36D-4440-829B-593E56A9DE22.jpeg

Thanks so much Reg and the "likes". I'm definitly not going to attempt to do the inner scuppers. At this point, only disaster would be likely to follow. They would be largely invisible in any event.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

My chapter 11 parts arrived and work is now well under way. I began by assembling and installing the channels. I found that applying the spray adhesive to both pieces created a much better bond than applying to only one piece. I also found it very helpful to slip a couple of deadeye strops into the channel slots while I was gluing and positioning the channel pieces to ensure proper alignment.

After the channels were in place I moved on to the channel straps. Following the suggestion to use pliers heated over a candle to make the bends in the straps worked out great.

Now it’s on to the deadeyes. 

Bob

0BF72BBD-6D9E-4D97-97E0-863ACDAD6F04.jpeg

345FDDC6-E108-4719-9E03-94DA2D8477A2.jpeg

FFA4A1BD-13F7-4749-990B-F7B254478861.jpeg

JThe deadeyes and chains were next up. At least for me, this was one of the more tedious tasks in the build . Due to stupidity on my part, things started of badly. I bought and assembled  Chuck’s deadeye kits and also bought and assembled the Model Shipways block tumbler suggested in the deadeye instructions. I couldn’t get the thing to work at all. Rather than asking here what I was doing wrong, I chose to use commercial deadeyes that I had on hand. They were virtually identical in size to the kit deadeyes, but required some adjustment in the strops to fit. I then found that the chain   links had to be fitted to each individual chain, using the various sizes provided. I lessened the pain by realizing that the  links  links (the lowest links) were the one constant and used them to mark where the other two links had to reach.

I then added the eyebolts between the chains.

I’m satisfied with the final result,  but happy to move on to other things.  

Bob 

57D9CFEA-71EC-4A6F-AAE8-E0DD02A14348.jpeg

F36A22FF-BF31-49A6-A168-3F3108074DCE.jpeg

B3D40AE5-C054-4507-BA86-66C3B3A0396F.jpeg

7F1CCE90-1458-485F-B93A-4178DCC4A491.jpeg

You’re close to the finish line, it looks great!

So you’re allowed to work in such a nice part of your house😂

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks so much for the generous comments and the "likes".

Glenn: my "man cave". Part office, library and workshop .The good news is that it's a comfortable place right in the house; the bad news is no power tools, other than a Dremel.

Greg: no rigging. I can't even imagine what I would do with a finished rigged model of this size.

Giampiero: A great compliment from a builder as skilled as you.

Thomas: I feel the same about yours.

Bob

'

Bob your Winnie looks great. Question? When I look at Chapter 11 I can’t tell if Chuck cut out the profile and attached the channel directly to the hull or attached it to the profile like you did. Yours looks great I am just confused and don’t want to be performing wood surgery if not required. What spray adhesive did you use? The Scotch Spray Mount was $41 on Amazon.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

another masterpiece from the Jedi

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks so much Jim. Don and Kevin.

Jim, I saw no reference in the chapter eleven monograph about cutting out the molding, and to my eye the photos show the channels attached to them, which was what I did. I had some Scotch adhesive on hand. That price sounds crazy.

Bob

Wonderful work Bob. I love it when I get to catch up on your progress!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 7/25/2022 at 8:44 AM, rafine said:

thanks so much Jim. Don and Kevin.

Jim, I saw no reference in the chapter eleven monograph about cutting out the molding, and to my eye the photos show the channels attached to them, which was what I did. I had some Scotch adhesive on hand. That price sounds crazy.

Bob

I contacted Chuck and the molding is suppose to be cut out.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I have now completed the remaining external hull detailing in chapter 11. This included making up and installing the billboards, the fenders and chess trees and the swivel guns and their stanchions. When that work was completed, I mounted the gun port port lids which I had previously  left off out of caution. Speaking of caution, the mounted swivel guns are extremely fragile, as I learned when I snapped off the two at the bow with an inadvertent hand movement . Replacing them required drilling through the broken off  pieces glued in the knightheads, a tricky task. The last thing I did was to add the rigging eyebolts shown on the plans.

All in all, it was enjoyable work and fun to see the outcome. I will now finish up chapter 11 with the gangboards et al.

Bob

A8B58F9A-F955-4D73-81AD-189D49681DA1.jpeg

D17ECFA9-4D38-46FA-B910-661CD192FF61.jpeg

ADE00E8C-28A2-4E4C-BD18-9ABDA8FD0C84.jpeg

AFECF9F1-03D8-4FE9-A619-6C4F41E20A44.jpeg

5ECC42BD-395A-4B00-85D5-EDB18E9D040A.jpeg

08CE3844-C305-4FEC-B2CF-5F57D8D6FFCD.jpeg

BBAF96DE-AE0C-4A96-B7F8-F250F9EDD2CE.jpeg