HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

I've now completed the quarterdeck rail and the transom rail. I pretty much followed Chuck's instructions and sequence, including cutting down the transom frames before doing the quarterdeck rail. Not everything came out quite as straight as I would have liked. One change that I made from the sequence was to drill the holes for the gunport eyebolts and ringbolts before mounting the rail uprights, since I was sure that nothing good would come of trying to drill over and around the deck furniture and fixtures. I also added the eyebolts and ringbolts at the transom ports, as shown on the plans.

I had made up the fairleads, but somehow managed to vacuum them up and then compounded my stupidity by throwing away the laser sheets with the spares after completing the six needed. I will now have to scratch build them before moving on to the guns.

Bob

6E837C13-91C9-468C-85A8-53E2EEAB799B_1_201_a.jpeg

4D0B3ADB-F7D9-432B-8394-55F5B6AC99DA_1_201_a.jpeg

35F5E575-4E59-4662-930B-AA7060736FBC_1_201_a.jpeg

75FEE015-9189-4A70-9713-DB4A4E52C911_1_201_a.jpeg

90D0CBAB-9669-42AD-AD9F-C532CB01BCF7_1_201_a.jpeg

DD508DE9-A867-4658-9461-328085B2105A_1_201_a.jpeg

775A4E19-8EA0-4C02-BDF2-9A2F45A47E58_1_201_a.jpeg

A511BF1E-F12C-41EC-BB18-3018DAFD894D_1_201_a.jpeg

Bob, it’s a beautiful model. What red paint are you using? I really like it.

Pete

Pete

Current Build: Charles W. Morgan - Model Expo

Completed Builds: Santa Maria, Cutty Sark, HMS Bounty - Marine Model Co.                                                          

On The Shelf: Flying Fish, HMS Endeavor, USF Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of you may have wondered where I've been and what I have bee doing for the last couple of months without any progress on Winnie. The short answer is that I 've had some serious health issues that resulted in two  hospital stays. Even since being home, I have found it difficult to focus and concentrate on modeling. I also seem to have lost, at least temporarily, some hand dexterity. In sum, I have been unable to complete the quarterdeck gun rigging. I am now awaiting the release of the chapter 11 parts, in the hope that enthusiasm will be rekindled and I can continue modeling. 

Bob

Hope you are back to normal soon, Bob. I know the feeling having been there myself about a year and a half ago. 

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Glad to see you back and hope you are well and able to continue your Winchelsea, it is inspiration for us all.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell Bob. Hope to see you back at the bench again soon.

Hi Bob. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with your health.

Once you start getting healthier and more parts arrive, I'm sure your enthusiasm will return!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob, sorry to hear of your illness.  Take care of yourself and wishing you the best in your recovery.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Bob -- Sorry to hear of your ills. Hope you feel like you're on the mend. I had some surgery last Monday (June 6) and although I feel much better. I find it difficult to concentrate on my modeling, too. Get well soon!

Pete

Pete

Current Build: Charles W. Morgan - Model Expo

Completed Builds: Santa Maria, Cutty Sark, HMS Bounty - Marine Model Co.                                                          

On The Shelf: Flying Fish, HMS Endeavor, USF Confederacy

I'm so sorry that you have been struggling with some health issues, Bob, but I'm glad to hear that you are now ready to tackle the next chapter of your beautiful Winnie build. A lot of us here on the MSW forum are getting up there in our years and health issues can certainly take the shine off the "golden years" when they occur. I wish you a swift recovery and I look forward to continue following your build log in the weeks ahead. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I wish you a fast recovery, and all of us that we can soon see again updates of the excellent build log of your beautiful Winnie!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I'm having trouble expressing my heartfelt gratitude for all of your kind wishes and encouraragement, so I will simply say "thank you"  to everyone and that I hope to be back on a more regular basis soon. Thanks, again.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Finally. Enough focus and concentration have returned to allow me to complete the making, installation and rigging of the quarterdeck guns. While the results are not all that I hoped for, I am absolutely delighted to be back at work on Winnie again and making progress. 

Recovery is a slow process, particularly at my age, but I am far more optimistic about being able to complete this project than I Iwas when I  last posted. On to chapter eleven, when the parts become available.

Bob614412FC7-C91D-4F66-AF77-82332C683126.thumb.jpeg.97354d8ac695f145f38c91eca6167f8b.jpeg

CAC61988-08D0-4FD6-BCF7-9FC97D4FC5EE.jpeg

808E299C-A3EC-4137-AF8B-2AF7FCC8CB13.jpeg

43785E52-19FB-44B9-AD6C-DAFFD6E3BD15.jpeg

37A30D4A-310E-473D-8498-F4BE4837D264.jpeg

Beautiful work, Bob! It is a continuation of the high level of craftsmanship which you are displaying in all your models and specifically in your Winnie. Good to see that you are back in the shop!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Beautiful work! That’s some serious focus and dedication rigging all those guns, well done.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose