HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

• 2 weeks later...

I have now completed the work in chapter 11. The final items were the gangways, gangboards and their supporting knees, the newel posts and fancy rails, and the gangway ladders. Although the work was relatively straightforward, it was done in tight crowded spaces and required an extra measure of care. Apparently, I didn’t do that because I damaged a number of previously installed items, including snapping off off three more swivel guns. This meant that my final work was damage repair and replacement and touch up painting.

The attached photos show the work done with a few overall shots of the model as it sits now.

Bob

03E81330-8E95-4B6E-BF8E-4A1342A233B2.jpeg

EA3E23CF-9825-48A4-B63A-5411C6F97EAF.jpeg

7F165008-C4A4-46BD-8B5F-F336697640BC.jpeg

612956F9-D3DC-4774-AC19-DF5CD8705250.jpeg

F2ACED72-BF43-4463-817A-5B46AC75804F.jpeg

9B4783BC-0162-4DF8-95A7-BA6A518F23E6.jpeg

FB981D02-2409-46D0-A588-5EA8F4723613.jpeg

90807E34-A139-4372-BF66-B5879BF31321.jpeg

A really fine looking ship Bob, you should be justly proud to have arrived so close to being finished.  I’m so impressed with your work as one of the pack leaders, not having very many other builds to consult as you’ve gone forward.

Have you decided what and how her final display mount will look? 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

A really fine looking ship Bob, you should be justly proud to have arrived so close to being finished.  I’m so impressed with your work as one of the pack leaders, not having very many other builds to consult as you’ve gone forward.

Have you decided what and how her final display mount will look? 

I am in about the same place as Bob but I quit posting because I am frustrated that the majority of my photos post upside down and no matter what I try nothing helps.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Thanks so much Jim, Glenn, Ben, Grant, Bob, Thomas and JJ for the generous comments. Thanks also to the "likes". 

Jim, I' glad that someone will benefit from my exercise in clumsiness .Definitely a good idea to leave the swivels off til the end.

Glenn, the final display will be a wooden base with a frameless acrylic top. The model will be mounted just as it is now on brass rods inserted into brass tubes .I have grown partial to that method over the years.

Thomas, the fleet at home never grows. I am on a strict " one in ,one out" policy. Every time I finish a model to be kept at home, one  of the existing home fleet has to go. Through the years, I have given many to family and friends and donated some to charitable auctions.

Bob

Edited by rafine

• 2 months later...

An update on me, not on my Winnie..I just got out of the hospital in Florida and have flown to New York to enter the hospital here to undergo open heart valve surgery. it’s likely that I won’t be back in Florida for at least a month. Winnie will remain on hold for  at least that amount  of time.

Bob

P

Best wishes on a successful surgery and good health!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Take care,our prayers are with you.!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

All the best to you Bob - I wish you a safe procedure and a speedy recovery!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

My best wishes to you Bob for a smooth procedure and a speedy recovery!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take good care of yourself and come back soon in good health.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery Bob. We’ll keep a light on for you here.