Chikuma by Javlin - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - IJN Heavy Cruiser

12 hours ago, Javlin said:

I am now working the the lines for the SS probably 15/20 more out front it's hard to get a sag?Maybe I need to go to stretched sprue?Some pics............;)

Looks great Kevin!  Timely that I read your post as I'm in the middle of rigging my Shimakaze and wondering about whether and how to get a sag in some of the lines.  Easy when using EZ-Line, etc. to get a taut line, but I'm wondering about the lines that should be sagged.  I ended up rigging the rear tower section, now about to start the bridge area.

Speaking of which, on the bridge, are the lines off the main mast that are connected to the pulleys on the spars supposed to sag?  Some pictures I've seen them sag, others not.  Also, are those lines black or are they usually a lighter color?  Some I've seen more white/tan.  

For what it's worth, I saw someone create sagged lines on the bridge rigging using stretched sprue.  Once he got the lines set up, he rolled a cylinder down the sprue one or two times to get a gentle curve.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I usually see radio and turret targeting lines to sag.So the lines out front of the bridge and the ones in this case off the rear mast there's a radio

station in the mast.The four lines off the main mast I would go fairly taut never seen in drawings otherwise.You could prove me wrong though.:P

Some from the Kagero and TopDrawings books for the Shimakaze:

Unknown-1.jpeg.b5274fd85c4e587f2c5a69c560d28911.jpegUnknown.jpeg.236193a617a00717b2066404143c1d6a.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg.4bf7bdb9914af04d330dea9356069251.jpeg

Here is a video from Ebroin's Miniatures - you can see the stretched sprue rigging from the spars on the bridge mast, and in a different color:

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

ome from the Kagero and TopDrawings books for the Shimakaze:

See I was thinking those lines were for radio com. but they are for flags.Now what about when not in use they are fairly taut?He gave a big bend to give the effect of movement.wind.The drawings still show taut for the most part and with the double line means a pulley thus flags learn every day.;)

In US Navy practice, Flag/Signal Halyards were natural jute or hemp, tan/brownish in color...

Guy lines/stays would be steel cable painted dark grey or black....

Radio aerials would be bare metal, either steel (blackish) or aluminum (greyish) wire ....

Same as British naval practice, which is where the first major capital ships of the IJN came from.... And which would be copied by them when they started building their own.....

Signal halyards were running lines thru a sheave and always paid off taut when not in use, when in use, they had a bit of slack left in them to allow the flag to extend in the breeze and be readable....

Stays are always taut... (as time wore on they would be adjusted with turnbuckles as they slackened with age)

Radio Aerials would have some slack to them to allow for expansion/contraction, since they were so thin too taut would cause them to break.... (on a model they would appear taut)

But then this was US Navy practice, I find it hard to believe that it would be any different in the other navies using the same/similar equipment and materials...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

So,this is were I am at the rigging is completed I tried quite a few times to get a sagging line that is not hard getting two next to each other do the same thing.I finally in the end went a taut line though one or two are to taut that area out front of the SS was a little of a PIA till I just backed off an maybe try Mike's idea about some sprue for curved line on Mogami.I knocked off some planes that need to be reattached and the decals for the sternwith some touchups in paint..;)

chikuma 002.JPG

chikuma 003.JPG

chikuma 004.JPG

chikuma 006.JPG

chikuma 007.JPG

That's fantastic Kevin!  I'm just about done rigging my Shimakaze - you said you love rigging, I should have just sent you mine!  Took me a while to work out a system on how to attach the lines.  Using a dot of accelerator helps a lot!

Mike

19 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I should have just sent you mine!  Took me a while to work out a system on how to attach the lines.  Using a dot of accelerator helps a lot!

Mike I use a medium CA glue sticking to plastic yeah an accelerator helps but the line to line No-No man I got caught a few times instant bond fighting it to come loose.I have some men may put back there on the flight deck?;)

Good to know Kevin - I'm down to the main lines that go down the middle of the ship.  And yes, put men on the ship!  I have a few dozen on mine.

Mike

Looks great Kevin!  Figures bring it to life for sure!

Not sure what you call those little blobs on the rigging line, but how did you do them?  I was thinking about PVA, but am worried they will cause the lines to sag too much especially since I'm using very thin line from Infini that is like EZ Line.

Mike

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Not sure what you call those little blobs on the rigging line, but how did you do them?

They are isolators Mike their is actually a lot more on Chikuma than what I depicted.I believe they operated much like on a plane to keep the line from vibrating so much in the wind.I used Mike the same glue we use for making clear glass.;)

The isolators (insulators actually) while did help a bit as you point out, there basic purpose was to insulate the antenna (the cables) from shorting to the ship. They do the same thing on aircraft. And if you look at high tension (voltage) power lines on land, they have them also.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This one is finished and ready for the show.I went a very light rust for a ship probably could of gone lighter seeing I did nothing with the deck area but it was to be a clean build but once men hit the decks that changed.;)

FYI when I over did the rust I used those rubber brushes to remove it it worked frigg'in excellent!!

chikuma 001.JPG

chikuma 002.JPG

chikuma 003.JPG

chikuma 004.JPG

chikuma 005.JPG

Wow, nice job Kevin!!  Fantastic work on such a beautiful subject.  Good luck at the show!

Mike

• 8 months later...

I have not talked the show she came in 2nd last place the judge said the only keeping from a win was the SG form the men on the decks everybody he said commented on the ship.The winner was a scrap built wooden ship I do not remember:unsure: Today I was at the NorthShore meet in LA. again no competitors I want competition :default_wallbash: Chikuma was 1st and Yahagi 2nd :rolleyes:

show 002.JPG

• The title was changed to Chikuma by Javlin - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - IJN Heavy Cruiser