Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

Continuation of parts already made, which had parts needing to be made and painted, starting with the boom buffer.

Made the two U-shape shackles from a piece of .010" brass using my turbo carver ground to shape then filed to finish shape then made ring next was to drill holes for .016" rod to go through. 

aqDVkD.jpg

dF42sE.jpg

Painted boom buffer and installed onto model.

CAhC0p.jpgqcUxtq.jpg

Next up was to finish the catheads, needed to make small chain link then attach it to the chain as per drawing then put into slot in cathead.

FS5sFB.jpgP29T1Y.jpg

Last thing will add is the rope which goes on the end of chain as per drawing from The American Fishing Schooner, the information on this did not come on the drawings of the Bluenose, but I am sure they would have been the same.

wTHNBG.jpg

6kstkS.jpg7Gh6Lp.jpg

Finished the hawse scroll work then painted them yellow, will add to model later.

cCTtn7.jpg

Couple of pic's to show how they will look before painting.

R8SaTt.jpgZm7U8o.jpgA0W2VK.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and all the likes do apricate it.

Until next time

Regards

Richard

Really nice work! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Very nice work, Richard! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Richard,

As always - your work in close up images looks even better - Yikes 👏😊😎 such superb work indeed.

Cheers mate… 

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

8 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Richard,

As always - your work in close up images looks even better - Yikes 👏😊😎 such superb work indeed.

Cheers mate… 

Thanks very much Michael, have stop work on the Victory to try and get her to the finish line.

Regards

Richard

Amazing work. The detail is off the charts. I had saved your build log long ago to use as a reference, if I needed it. I did not get to the end of the build to realize you hadn’t finished. Looking at your work makes me see what it should look like, I wish I had your talent and skill. 

10 hours ago, MajorChaos said:

Amazing work. The detail is off the charts. I had saved your build log long ago to use as a reference, if I needed it. I did not get to the end of the build to realize you hadn’t finished. Looking at your work makes me see what it should look like, I wish I had your talent and skill. 

Thanks Major for looking in and your comment, as you probably read in my log I really enjoy making the details, do look at a lot of pictures in books /google search, wish there were more drawings to be had, but the drawing which come with the model do show a lot of detail which you know.

You realize correct regarding not finishing her yet, still plugging away do hope that next year will be the year she will be done :unsure:.

Regarding talent/skill 🤔 I think this comes from my steel fabrication background, was taught how to read/draw drawings at school then got into an apprenticeship, taught how to work Lathe/Milling and other machines at a young age and this has translated to what I build now. 

Regards

Richard 

Bought some 2.5mm & 3.5mm deadeyes from Forum sponsor Crafty Sailor which were close to the size of the iron straps I made, but did have to file the edges so that they were more round.

Once that was done I stained them black with India ink.

QLan7s.jpg0iGQxF.jpgmKWqHG.jpg

To connect to the chain plates I used .035" bolt head and .035" nuts, these I filed down the head of bolt and nut thickness to that the size looked better.

ViywnS.jpgAhnG0o.jpg34mLg4.jpg

The one on the right has been filed, then made a quick jig so that I could install nuts onto bolts, now the chain plates are all installed into the slots but still need to pin chain plates to hull, these chain plates will now only stick out .005" 

EHxNQu.jpg0uqCNt.jpgRF4jfL.jpg

Next up was to install the two pumps, put the three parts together with .016" brass rod and then mounted to the bases with small bolts, then mount both onto deck.

KDCsf9.jpg5X4oS2.jpghTe0zK.jpg

Started to paint the Companionway, skylight, deck-house and steering box, it says to use burnt umber and white, so have used this paint True Earth for the burnt umber and it goes on brilliantly with a brush, masked off where white will go.

qsXFq5.jpgjXcqBw.jpgXtZ9TY.jpg

Once dry I masked off the burnt umber then sprayed white. Also sprayed up the small parts which go along with these items.

YWUGkD.jpghmccyK.jpga40TMb.jpg

This is how it turned out.

ozGe4Y.jpgrIYAlx.jpg

Had the Quarter bitts the wrong way round opps, now corrected, at the same time glue the grate down.

Did glue the steering wheel to shaft, installed a bolt at front of wheel and painted brass on the ends of each wooden handle, I read somewhere they had brass inlays.

MjcQ3Y.jpgXzISVU.jpg

Mounted the painted scroll to see how it will look but have not glued on yet, did get the scroll thickness down to .012" from .018" before painting.

GQY8k3.jpg

Couple of pic's in black and white.

6aLtOu.jpg2t6sso.jpg

Until next time.

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got all the chain plates pined to the hull now using .013" brass rod.

cYId1u.jpg 5qtTge.jpg

I think they look a lot better.

xy42DE.jpg

Ach8Fv.jpg

Made the woodern box which covered the friction clutch while I was doing this I broke the hinges so will have to make again.

Then made a small step which went in front of the winch gears, saw this in the LB Jenson book.

Also another small item I had not made was the chain box so that is now made.

7iqz7t.jpgzs89bn.jpgkMHBpE.jpg

GRb86C.jpg

Finaly got a coat of Danish oil on the decking, its been quite a few years.

gZ4qDt.jpg

Was just checking the the fit of the Jumbo Jib Stay Bail which I had made a couple of years ago, was trying to get the eye bolts to go in holes I had drilled in deck when the soldered joint gave way.

So thought I should make a different way, started by drilled two .032" holes into a piece of .062" brass rod, then rebent bail legs, made a small drawing so that I could make the couplings to fit the eyebolts better, and so that they would be able to solder to the .032" legs, used 1/16" square brass, machined one side down to .048" the other side machined to .055" thk, then drilled the .020" & .032"holes, the slot was made with a .020" slitting saw, after doing all that it was all soldered together.

q4S1Su.jpgpE5ZsG.jpgHCn3KI.jpgMIyfNu.jpg

Then blacken it.

Small thing but made better second time around.

WDQFh0.jpglhnCxS.jpgJGPoTo.jpg

Thanks to all who look in, and make a comment, and I appricate the likes as well.

Regards

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent a pleasant time catching up Richard. All looking incredibly crisp. Great work.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

As always I'm in awe when I visit your build. Such incredible work. And "working" parts as well! It inspires me to do more detail on my Bluenose. Aging eyes and fingers are limiting factors these days.

I had a question for you. You mention you obtained the fisherman figure from Vanguard Models. I did not see that in the figures section of their web site. I've been looking for some time for 1/64 figures. There's lots of 1/72, 1/43, 1/144 scale figures but 1/64 are hard to come by. Particularly of East Coast turn of the century fishing figures. I have found military figures in that scale, but not fishermen. Do you happen to know where on the Vanguard Models web site the fishermen figures are located?

Thanks in advance for your help, John

On 2/2/2024 at 8:39 AM, ERS Rich said:

Good stuff!  Nice shop!

Thanks Rich she is coming along but slowly, and I do love my shop.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:27 AM, KeithAug said:

Just spent a pleasant time catching up Richard. All looking incredibly crisp. Great work.

Hi Keith thanks for your kind comment, doing a lot of the small stuff which I didn't do earlier :), now working on make eight fishing Dories, scratch build :wacko:.

On 2/18/2024 at 1:04 PM, FriedClams said:

Nice work on these details, Richard.  Looking great!

Gary

Hi Gary thanks for looking in, remaking stuff which I break which I don't mind but its time consuming, glad to see you are back on your model. 

19 hours ago, JohnU said:

Hi Richard,

As always I'm in awe when I visit your build. Such incredible work. And "working" parts as well! It inspires me to do more detail on my Bluenose. Aging eyes and fingers are limiting factors these days.

I had a question for you. You mention you obtained the fisherman figure from Vanguard Models. I did not see that in the figures section of their web site. I've been looking for some time for 1/64 figures. There's lots of 1/72, 1/43, 1/144 scale figures but 1/64 are hard to come by. Particularly of East Coast turn of the century fishing figures. I have found military figures in that scale, but not fishermen. Do you happen to know where on the Vanguard Models web site the fishermen figures are located?

Thanks in advance for your help, John

Hi John thanks for your kind comment, love doing fine detail work on my models, I know your feelings regarding aging eyes and fingers, I could add more :D

Regarding your question on 1/64 scale figures, I bought these from VM about two years ago along with the 1/72 scale gun crew, but just looked on his site and do not see them now as you have said, not sure why he is not selling them now :huh: they are very good.  

I have seen some other figures which look very nice also, see attached pictures but have not bought any yet..

vMXIlO.jpg0QW1N0.jpgQwg9ut.png

Regards

Richard

4 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Hi John thanks for your kind comment, love doing fine detail work on my models, I know your feelings regarding aging eyes and fingers, I could add more :D

Regarding your question on 1/64 scale figures, I bought these from VM about two years ago along with the 1/72 scale gun crew, but just looked on his site and do not see them now as you have said, not sure why he is not selling them now :huh: they are very good.  

I have seen some other figures which look very nice also, see attached pictures but have not bought any yet..

vMXIlO.jpg0QW1N0.jpgQwg9ut.png

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the link you sent. These are adaptable. But none like the ones you have from VM! Another site I found had some usable figures, but still not quite as good. https://www.shapeways.com/product/QK2DXA2W9/printle-w-homme-1334-p-1-64?optionId=300710035&li=marketplace

There seems to be a 3-D print to order market in Europe. Still haven't found any in US. I see Modelu has a distributor in Canada but they only carry model railroad sizes.

On another topic, what do you use for magnification?

John

John

Hi John,

You could ask Chris at VM and see if he will sell the fishing figures again?

Regarding the question on magnification I have a prescription glasses so that I can see clearly 6" away from my face :D also I like light, last year I got a examination light for veterinarian clinic from a Canadian company which really helps and also have a good table light.

hWyDJN.jpg

aj4RmF.jpg

Regards

Richard

Awesome shipyard, Richard!! 👍🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

4 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Hi John,

You could ask Chris at VM and see if he will sell the fishing figures again?

Regarding the question on magnification I have a prescription glasses so that I can see clearly 6" away from my face :D also I like light, last year I got a examination light for veterinarian clinic from a Canadian company which really helps and also have a good table light.

hWyDJN.jpg

aj4RmF.jpg

Regards

Richard

Nice! I'll have to ask my optometrist about that next time I go for an eye check. I tried some glasses that were advertised for that but they didn't rally work. I think you're on the right track. They need to be prescription. I agree that lighting makes a big difference. The best things seem to be those special glasses the dentist uses. I asked about them one time and he indicated they cost upwards of $5k and were custom made for each person.

Thanks for your help, your shop is really sharp, John

On 3/7/2024 at 2:30 PM, CPDDET said:

As always, you're an inspiration. 

Thanks kindly Dave

On 3/8/2024 at 3:46 PM, GGibson said:

Awesome shipyard, Richard!! 👍🏆

Thanks Gregg

On 3/8/2024 at 6:29 PM, JohnU said:

Nice! I'll have to ask my optometrist about that next time I go for an eye check. I tried some glasses that were advertised for that but they didn't rally work. I think you're on the right track. They need to be prescription. I agree that lighting makes a big difference. The best things seem to be those special glasses the dentist uses. I asked about them one time and he indicated they cost upwards of $5k and were custom made for each person.

Thanks for your help, your shop is really sharp, John

My prescription was $405cdn single vision for 6" away from face, 5K for dentist ones wow.

Regards

Richard

On 3/8/2024 at 8:29 PM, JohnU said:

...he indicated they cost upwards of $5k and were custom made for each person.

I'll keep on squinting... <shrug> 🤣🤣

Gregg

I had a question in "Discussion for a ships deck furniture, Guns, Boats and other fittings" regarding where do they take the dimension of 15'-0" fishing dory, and the answer was from the bottom.

So now I have started to scratch build eight of these as per the plans 3/16"=1'-0" this would be 2.8125" or 71.43mm long on the bottom, they do have plywood laser cut pieces to make the shape but I want to have overlapped planks showing.

Started by printing out the plans so that I could make a plug, but before that I made eight bottoms from three planks glued together.

lNddSH.jpg

On the drawing they only had three lines of outside of planking, I needed six, so made some more copies and proceeded to work out the other three. 

K8DY6s.jpgWM8els.jpgEfovxu.jpgcxLPoF.jpg

Taking a piece of wood I laid out the station, machined a 1/32" slot in five of the stations, cut out the five inside planking shapes, then proceeded to glue shapes into slots.

shaped the bottom planks then checked the bottom planking to jig, also made the stem/false stem together 

5vPG1P.jpgiV7gvm.jpgCBY7Tv.jpgmioybA.jpg

I found the stations not stable enough, I could have put a piece of 1/32 plywood in between but decided to fill with solid wood, carving the shape.

TXtOlE.jpg75liR6.jpg6AMDRK.jpg

kznC3e.jpgkWC82d.jpg

To help laying the planks I made the jig so that I could turn either way so I could lay the planks easier, and at the same time drilled holes in bottom so that it would nold to plug. 

hVroqd.jpgiitZ2I.jpg14zMRf.jpg

I have cut the first planking for both sides, started to file them to the shape then proceed to glue the first planks bottom, stem and stern.

Took it out of the jig/plug and so far its working as I intended, have a few guys thinking what's next.

VDSKjy.jpgzWOSs1.jpgN5GeEt.jpg

Will make all eight to this stage before making the next row of planking, here is number 2 ready for first planks.

bDB1XV.jpg

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

Very impressive dory work, Richard! 👍

Gregg

20 hours ago, GGibson said:

Very impressive dory work, Richard! 👍

Thank you Gregg, didn't like the kit parts and the jig supplied to was not very good.

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Nice work on the plug/jig, Richard.  A good set up for accurate repeatability.  

Gary

Thank you Gary, the set up was the only way to have eight the same.

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the eight fishing dories, using swiss pear which is very nice to work with, planks are .018" thick easily bendable with fingers.

Had a clamp which I glued bits of wood to, so that sanding to shape was easier. 

OSuAaB.jpgLdIT7r.jpg

First planking done now have to work out shape for the second plank.

OHecuQ.jpgRmGLwn.jpg

Until next time,

Regards

Richard