Coureur by cafmodel - 1/48

Some friends are asking about the difference between Le coureur and HMS alert

Le Coureur and HMS Alert there are big differences
This is due to the different design purposes of the designers at the beginning
1 Structurall,Le coureur is French,HMS alert is English
2 In terms of difficultyThe serrated ribs of Le coureur are a challenge, so we designed a special shipway to ensure the accuracy of fabricationOf course, this is the original intention of our design to embody his structure
3 In terms of overall effectLe coureur has three masts, so his sails are very beautifulThis is also the premise for us to insist on making masts and sails
4 From the perspective of product materials
We used brass to make metal accessories such as cannon, anchor, etc., lead leather to make waterproof partition of powder cabin, leather to make waterproof wrapping material of rudder, and boxwood to make wood carvingThe flag was made by gilding process, and the boiler made of clay was used

So le coureur and HMS alert is a totally different experience

Hello,

I have a small question: Is the model of Le Coureur represented according to the French or the English configuration?
On the other hand, you show us guns intended to arm Le Requin, it is inappropriate because, in no case, the xebecs were equipped with bronze guns such as you present them.

GD

1 hour ago, G. Delacroix said:

Hello,

I have a small question: Is the model of Le Coureur represented according to the French or the English configuration?
On the other hand, you show us guns intended to arm Le Requin, it is inappropriate because, in no case, the xebecs were equipped with bronze guns such as you present them.

GD

Hello

The main structure of Le coureur is French, and the UK did not change the structure of Le coureur at that time,

This can be seen from the original Plans, so we provide 2 options, you can choose to install according to your own understanding.

For the arm of Le Requn, we also provide two options, Friends who meet different needs.

Some friends like to make models in strict accordance with plans, while others like richer details and more beautiful patterns,We just offer more options

Tom

8 hours ago, James H said:

I work in science and chemistry, so that info is very useful to me. 👍 

I never new KMnO4 would be in that mix!

I'm clueless...lol.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

If I remember chem lab correctly, potassium permanganate was good for staining your fingers red.

Na2S =  sodium sulfate?   all three "S" are SO4?

Back to your framing,  have you considered doing what the shipbuilders probably did, and add chocks at the floor timber/futtock 1 overlap?  They would have likely used square space fillers that less than the molded dimension - air circulation.  For a model, a short piece that matched the molded dimension and formed a continuous band when viewed from the side would add interest and a lot of strength.  Additional strength would be provided by continuous deadwood between the floor timbers.  I mean filling the space between the keel and keelson with a piece that is the width of the keel/keelson.  We do not have to worry about bilge water not being able to flow from side to side in a model.

A lesson that I have learned, do not use these space fillers to determine the frame spacing.  Add them after the position is set.  Although the lesson learned was because I used a temporary filler beside it. That filler was bonded using double sided tape, which is thicker than a simple PVA bond gap.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

3 hours ago, cafmodel said:

Hello

The main structure of Le coureur is French, and the UK did not change the structure of Le coureur at that time,

This can be seen from the original Plans, so we provide 2 options, you can choose to install according to your own understanding.

For the arm of Le Requn, we also provide two options, Friends who meet different needs.

Some friends like to make models in strict accordance with plans, while others like richer details and more beautiful patterns,We just offer more options

Tom

Hello,

It is a pity to distort the personality of a ship just to satisfy customers. 
It's as if, for the pleasure of a few, we represented Michael Jackson blond, with blue eyes and singing tango. His personality would be altered.
But I understand that trade allows for such arrangements even if it distorts the truth...
Isn't it our and your mission to educate model makers by offering them absolutely historical solutions?

GD

44 minutes ago, G. Delacroix said:

Hello,

It is a pity to distort the personality of a ship just to satisfy customers. 
It's as if, for the pleasure of a few, we represented Michael Jackson blond, with blue eyes and singing tango. His personality would be altered.
But I understand that trade allows for such arrangements even if it distorts the truth...
Isn't it our and your mission to educate model makers by offering them absolutely historical solutions?

GD

I quite agree with you,It is a pity to distort the personality of a ship just to satisfy customers. 

We always think that it is necessary to respect the original work, and try not to change the structure expressed in the original plans when we have to

So we give two solutions,  This is not contradictory to what you insist on

At the same time, I would like to thank you for your advice, which makes me more confident in making models that are faithful to the original,

Not to simplify the model and structure for the sake of cost

Tom

This is another alternative

115.jpg.fe9cd121bd9c6eb4f6a6c73911a7af91.jpg

A10.jpg.f71690e4b283c3471571d8c9c39c4b90.jpgA11.jpg.159636a1f2cae1aef1f081fee5543035.jpg

1 hour ago, Jaager said:

If I remember chem lab correctly, potassium permanganate was good for staining your fingers red.

Na2S =  sodium sulfate?   all three "S" are SO4?

Back to your framing,  have you considered doing what the shipbuilders probably did, and add chocks at the floor timber/futtock 1 overlap?  They would have likely used square space fillers that less than the molded dimension - air circulation.  For a model, a short piece that matched the molded dimension and formed a continuous band when viewed from the side would add interest and a lot of strength.  Additional strength would be provided by continuous deadwood between the floor timbers.  I mean filling the space between the keel and keelson with a piece that is the width of the keel/keelson.  We do not have to worry about bilge water not being able to flow from side to side in a model.

A lesson that I have learned, do not use these space fillers to determine the frame spacing.  Add them after the position is set.  Although the lesson learned was because I used a temporary filler beside it. That filler was bonded using double sided tape, which is thicker than a simple PVA bond gap.

Hello

These are SO4

For the problem of adding wood blocks in the middle of keel to increase the strength,I think there are several points for reference

1:According to the data I found, there is no filler between ribs and keels, so I can't change the structure

2:As a kit that needs to adapt to different production levels, I am most worried about this continuous fit structure, because it will generate accumulated errors,  Some of the friends             who are making models are making wooden sailboats for the first time,

add chocks at the floor timber   This is very interesting,I think maybe I can try this construction method。It's a whole new experience

Tom

2 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

What a lovely boat. I hope you make the kit available to USA customers in the coming months.

Yves

Hello Yves. Its available for pre-order on his website.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard