Aston Martin DB5 by Fnick - Revell 1:32 (Finished)

fnick

Evening all

My next build is the Aston Martin DB5 model by airfix. This was given to me by my best man nearly 3 ahem years ago... 

Kit itself is ok for a starter kit. Not too many details and quite a lot of mold lines to get rid of. I'm using this as a rehearsal for my next plastic build 🙂 so trying to do this properly (clean mold lines, multiple coats of paints,etc) things which may be obvious to the more experienced builders.

I'm mostly using the paints provided. Only extra is some chrome paint I am waiting for as the kit specifies to paint the chrome parts with the same aluminium colour as the body...🙄

Anyhoo a couple of progress pics. Nothing too exciting!

IMG_20200413_191722534.thumb.jpg.ac141f6d7488d43f538d76685ee7c44e.jpg

Ok at least one for now until the upload of the other one works!

Nick

Edited by fnick

Wow the old Airfix by Craft Master kit.... VERY COOL! Is this the one with the operating parts? (like the ejection seat?)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

thats about my level for a non ship build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

17 minutes ago, fnick said:

Seeing the level of your ship builds I seriously doubt that!🙂

lol have you ever seen one of my non ship builds

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

lol have you ever seen one of my non ship builds

You have surgeons hand when it comes to model building Kevin , bet back in the days of Blue Peter  bet you used to make loads of stuff same as I did.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

You have surgeons hand when it comes to model building Kevin , bet back in the days of Blue Peter  bet you used to make loads of stuff same as I did.

OC.

very hard to make a Saturn IV rocket nowadays with the silly shaped bottles

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

very hard to make a Saturn IV rocket nowadays with the silly shaped bottles

Indeed  - I did though make the Action Man  bed   add   whitling emoji.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, fnick said:

Ok Egilman you win. I've added the ejector seats.😋

Nick

Will you add the machine guns?  Great for clearing out  traffic jams.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Morning everyone

Some progress. Outside of the body painted. Learned valuable lesson about properly thinning and stirring paints before using them...🙄☺️

IMG_20200422_072931616.thumb.jpg.242cac5c79a2f546d01b1a8e3c323e4f.jpg

IMG_20200422_072951672.thumb.jpg.3cb8e55bb27d82f715bc986d7ba06507.jpg

Really hoping my paint order arrives soon as there is some chrome and white paint that I need to finish the model off.

Will then have to wait for my other order 😄 which contains satin and gloss varnish (and my next model...)

Thanks for looking and stay safe and healthy!

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

Work had to stop on the Aston until my paint delivery arrived. The main thing I was looking for was the Mr colour chrome silver paint. I have to admit to my inexperienced eye the results look reasonable (although I also ordered those molotow pens man those things are expensive!😄)

Here's what the rear bumper looks like

IMG_20200430_214005053.thumb.jpg.5a71b3c0da024236cce484becfe1abde.jpg

IMG_20200430_213229562.thumb.jpg.7788d39d6ba215a715d4ff696af157cc.jpg

Difficult to see in artificial light and bad prep of the part aside...☺️ I think it looks ok.

This meant I could also finish off the dashboard and steering wheel although looking at it I think the colour for that may be too light.

1079675629_IMG_20200430_2130525872.thumb.jpg.24ec155db5a49eb6532d051a7fa94114.jpg

IMG_20200430_213143517.thumb.jpg.daf23d416491be55cd6ddaad714a44ae.jpg

I also decided that the body had too many imperfections and wasn't smooth enough so I gave it a good sanding and am starting to build the layers again. Problem is I only have 600grit sandpaper. The 1k, 2k and 3k sandpaper is on order.

Thanks for looking. Hope you are all safe and healthy!

Nick

Have you tried the Moltow chrome pens?  Very impressive chrome effect. But don't handle any of these "chrome" Paints. Aluminium foil is still best.

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

Nick, I hope you get on with it. I tend to make a blob on a clean vice jaw and then brush it on. Some are buying refill pots and airbrushing it. Needs a Hell of a good shake first though.  

If you're a facebooker, you might be interested in this group I started a year ago:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/305373036843841/

It's for all car kit bashers, mainly slot cars, but covers all disciplines. I make slot car body patterns for kit makers and am a petrol head as well as a boat fan (not ships, I'm afraid...too big for me).  I firmly believe that there should be more cross reference twixt disciplines.

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

I'm on my third Facebook........never kept up with it enough ;)   now I use it to post my models basically........oh, all right.......a few rants too.  I looked into your page......I think it's pretty cool!  we buy these model cars and build 'em...........but to see them run on a track adds more fulfillment for the efforts we put into them :)   I've only dealt with the small scale tracks........how old is the large scale hobby?   I do recall a hobby store back in the day that had a track.   you could build your own car and run them there....great PR for the business.   I do wonder if these types of models were made for this particular application,  having no engine or undercarriage detail,  or multitude of parts.

I like the idea that you painted your car silver,  but I'm sure you know that metallic paints,  can actually show 'grain'........they are almost like wood.  to apply paint by brush or even spray can,  one needs to go in one direction,  without any opposite stroke direction.   it will show like a sore thumb.  as you pointed out......thinning is crucial for a good level sheen.  really like what your doing with this model......the dash board looks great :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

46 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm sure you know that metallic paints,  can actually show 'grain'........they are almost like wood

Err no...☺️😄 But at least now I know. Thanks and thank you for your kind comment. Applied another coat with same direction brush strokes and yes showing lines... Might try sanding very very lightly with the 600 sandpaper in between coats. Quick question should I dry sand or wet sand, and what is different between two techniques?

Nick

dry sanding produces a lot of loose dust.......wet sanding you can wipe off......doesn't go everywhere.   that's what I hate about metallics......I've done a few planes........never again til I get it right  ;)   I'd say you could use an air brush with thinned down paint,  but I'd be too afraid that it would make the undercoat solvent.  then you'd see wrinkles and raised paint......not so good :(   that what I call it,  when you can see the brush strokes...regular paint will either give you a bumpy finish or ghosting.  I'm surprised that the other paint gurus haven't chimed in for you. {there...I'll get their ears burning  ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nick, I have no trouble spraying metallics with back and forth strokes, but as popeye says, they are very much more demanding than plain colours. I have sprayed metallics using both Halford's rattle cans and Tamiya cans and the Tamiya were better. the paint is thicker and is cellulose, which will always be better on a model .  But, best of all for metallics are Zero Paints. They are a MUCH finer grind on the pigment, including the metallic element. Much nearer scale, certainly on 1/32nd scale and above.  BUT they need a clear gloss as they dry matt.  That's fine as you can use a gloss like Mr. Hobby or Halfords clear.  I have a gloss clear that dries in minutes like glass, called Lechler Akrifan. It's spray ready needing no thinners. I also get an enamel clear which is astonishingly shiney. It comes from Lidl or Aldi, but only when they feel like stocking it, so visit often. I got their clear, red, white and dark green, all ideal colours for model cars. The green is VERY dark, so ideal for Vanwalls and vintage Bentleys, in other words darker than BRG should be, but ideal for those cars who used a darker than BRG shade. I have also used Vallejo gloss varnish which, to my amazement worked well and dried hard. Amazed as it went on like milk, but then went clear as I watched!  But it must go on thin with an airbrush. My Paasche Model H is perfect for it. I keep one for colour, one for clear. Bellet proof and so easy to clean, no hypodermic sharp needle to damage either.  Now sold as Classic!  As am I!.

I hope this helps.  I have been spraying and making model cars for donkey's years. I also make master Patterns for the likes of RS Slotracing, PreWing, TinTops and SMK slot cars, nearly 100 different body shells now!  I try to paint each one as they arrive. Can't keep up with putting working chassis in them though!

Here's a few I've done.  I made all the patterns for them, except the Lotus 6, for which I did the front mudguard patterns in brass to be cast in white metal. I covered that in Selotape aluminium sticky foil as I hate silver paint.

Cheers,

Martin

P6bw2.jpg

Owens2_zpsdd6611de.jpg

DSCI0248.jpg

DSCI0152.jpg

DSCI0027.jpg

DSCI0154.jpg

Thanks for all the info Martin. I'm just using brushes for the paint so it's does make it trickier to get a smooth finish. I just need to sand between each coat and make sure paint is properly thinned. 

Very impressive what you have done by the way!

Oh, well, in that case, Nick, rattle cans are your friend.  I'm really no great shakes with a hairy stick. In fact my wife is so much better at that than I am!  But I can spray a nice finish and for a car body I recommend you use a spray can from either Halford's or Tamiya.

I'm orff outside to lay the deck on my Vanity model!

Good luck.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all.

The Aston is finished. Not entirely happy with it mostly due my lack of experience! As I will learn from my mistakes my next car model is going to be a stunner! 😄😋

Joking aside my thoughts on the kit. I know it's an old one but I would not recommend it to a beginner. Lots of flash and mold lines to clean, lots filling to do around the front of the car and a glaring mistake in the instructions! In my humble opinion that is not how you entice people into a new hobby.🤔

Here are some pics.

IMG_20200514_065904231.thumb.jpg.b77e1717c7eaf2ce112eb618337b0490.jpg

Looks a bit dull but it's not varnished (order not arrived not even been shipped yet... I know there's attenuating circumstances but still...)

Body work paint still not perfect. Should I do another car with a metallic finish I'll certainly reconsider using a rattle can.

One of my mistakes was not dry fitting parts before painting which meant I had to fill the wholes around the front grill after the body and grill had had a couple of coats of paints...

IMG_20200514_070051418.thumb.jpg.7d119fa62020ec5f1de5fbeece8794fc.jpg

Thanks the Egilman, CDW and Martin for the molotow pen hint. Those things are amazing and meant I could do the chrome trim around the windows. However here comes another mistake. I painted the black undercoat and chrome finish free hand without using masking tape so as the trims are not on the body work the result is a bit messy...

Here's a few more pics. I did enjoy the model despite what said above! Good experience and hopefully the next one will be an improvement.

IMG_20200514_070158232.thumb.jpg.17b5896885efa64977ddea9cc96629c1.jpg

IMG_20200514_070248793.thumb.jpg.f2d75c707a88c366395b3fdd63284cbe.jpg

IMG_20200514_070222917.thumb.jpg.af4b23fa928da1499d666aa40090529b.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

Edited by fnick

Nick, if you want to improve the look of the wheels, there are turned aluminium wheels you can buy into which you can fit much better resin inserts for the wires, or go the whole hog and buy photo-etched wire wheels, which do look good.  You can get all that stuff and perhaps more suitable tyres from RS Slotracing. http://www.rsslotracing.com/  Check out Mitoos wires there.

I use Molotow chrome pens straight onto the surface. I don't bother with a black undercoat.  I also use Sellotape aluminium self adhesive foil and burnish it down onto things like grilles and bumpers. It goes onto painted surfaces better than bare ones. As does Bare Metal Foil, which I find a little fragile, having used both.

Martin