HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Sorry to hear of your loss Andy! Take care

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Very sorry to hear of your loss Andy, I also apologize for being so late to the table.Your loss has served to remind me to not let life and responsibilities take over and prevent me from spending at least a few moments each day doing something that gives me pleasure, such as checking posts here and enjoying the camaraderie of the members.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Andy, my deepest condolences.  Take care.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Andy,

A ship of beauty...I loved watchiing all these photos and learning from what I can see from one of the masters....You did a truly good work here! Thanks for sharing :D You have made me very happy watching your build come to life!

I need more clamps I can see for future builds. Where is the best place to purchase these ???

Best of luck with this build and all future builds Andy. :)

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

Andy,

I have just caught up with this. So sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing.

Occasions like this are never easy, but I'm sure you will get through it. I'm sure also the words will come when you need them.

I'm sure we're all thinking of you.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Andy,

I'm also just catching up. So sorry for your loss. These events are never easy. Please take care care.

Sincerely.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

A small update for everyone. I was in touch with the company this afternoon, and they have a relief for me. I'll be able to go home when the ship gets back to the Welland Canal in 6 or 7 days or so.

Never in my life did I ever think I would actually be looking forward to going to a funeral..................... :blink:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

HI Andy ,just was ck'n in and saw the sad news, my sympathy goes out to you and your family, take care .

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

So sorry for your loss, Andy. Some of my earliest memories revolve around the time spent in my Grandfather's workshop, watching him build furniture. I'm sure my love of woodworking stemmed from these early years. It sounds like you were very close to yours also. May you have fond memories of time spent with him.

Greg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Just found out about your loss Andy, My thoughts are with you as you go through this part of your life, know that as time passes you will be doing something and smile about something you shared with your grandfather, and that will bring you joy and not grief.

Regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

If I have to say thank you one hundred times, I'll keep doing it.

Thank you Matti, Anthony and Rhonda, Michael, Greg, Lawrence and Frank.

And before I forget,

Thank you Kester and Michael (md1400cs)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

good to hear your going to make it home..........may you make it there........in time.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Andy,

My condolences.....

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Andy Hi

I'm new to this hobby and will be building Pegasus as my second project following the Caldercraft HMS Cruiser, do you have any pictures or a sketch of how you tapered the false keel prior to first planking, and of rabbeting at the bow section.

Did you use the original cannon, have heard the quality is poor, if not any good sourc for replacement barrels.

Hope mine turns out as good as yours

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

For tapering at the stern, I marked out the bearding line and used a small plane for the largest area, working down to a file for the smaller sections. If I had to do it again, I would go even a bit further with my tapering than I did. In the end I had to sand down a good chunk of the first planking to get the second planking to fit nice against the keel. Some builders go as far as to avoid putting any first planking over that area of the bulkhead former (see Spyglass' build log). Whichever method you choose is up to you, both seem to work well.

I cut the rabbet using an ordinary craft knife and steel ruler. At the bow and stern, be sure to taper the inside edge of the rabbet to accept planks entering on an angle. You can pretty much follow the bottom edge of the bulkheads for the depth of the rabbet. it's also easies to do all this before you glue on all the bulkheads.

Rabbeting at the bow is a bit more of a challenge, but not impossible. Just take your time (and watch your fingers). For the small part of the walnut stem, I used a small cordless Dremel and a cutoff wheel. Careful light passes and you should be ok.

One thing I did find, I needed to add a shim strip along the rabbet as the keel pieces did not sit tight in the scarf joint with the stem. This helped increase the depth a touch, and when it came time, the first planking snapped right in and held quite securely.

Hope that helps, at least a little bit. Good luck with your upcoming build.

Andy

post-34-0-34003100-1384356135_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

You're welcome, Paul

I almost forgot about the canons. I used the kit supplied ones, which are OK. But if you want to replace them, I'd go with Chuck's. Get his carriages as well, they will better match the guns than the Amati ones.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

HI Andy, slowly getting caught back up on my log reading,  so very sorry to hear about your loss - my sincere condolences.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull