HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Robbyn, properly it was a length of served rope. But for the purposes of model building, something a bit more rigid like wire or bamboo works better. With all the counteracting lines at that point (shrouds, futtock shrouds and catharpins) threatening to turn the top of the shrouds into a rat's nest, you need something to keep everything separate and aligned.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, just once again got caught up and am really impressed with how good the Pegasus is coming along.  The staves trick is terrific, your servings are awesome!!

Very nice project - and I love the outdoor shots; make the colors really come out.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Andy, the bowsprit rigging looks superb and the rigid staves are a clever way to solve the "Rats Nest" to use your term at the confluence of the assorted lines shrouds etc.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael :)

There's plenty of opportunities to make furballs out of rigging a ship, I figure anything I can do to try to keep things in order has to pay off at some point.

Welcom aboard, Jack. The friezes are photo etched brass that came with the kit, the trick is trying to make them look painted on... judging by your comments, I guess I did alright... thank you.. :)

Small update time. The weather today has turned...well... fall-ish. <_<  Good day to stay indoors and poke at model ships... In that light, I went after the boomkins and their associated rigging. By and large, fairly straight forward, the biggest challenge is maintaining some semblance of symetry. The fore-tack blocks mark my first use of Chuck's excellent aftermarket blocks. I'll need to order a few more before I get finished rigging. Besides, you can never have enough extras laying about ;)

Oh yeah... another GFP... :rolleyes::D

Andy

post-34-0-46074700-1380566101_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-60306800-1380566110_thumb.jpg

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks everyone for your kind comments :)

Sherry, they are a worthwhile purchase, that's for sure. Chuck is to be commended for making them so well, and accessible to the market.

Wes, I'm sure you can do it too. All it takes is a good resource to follow and a little patience :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well... this will probably be the last little bit of "fun in the sun" until next spring. I expect to leave Thursday morning, so the shipyard will have to be tidied up before then, and I don't plan on any more building until I get home in December... and by then it's too snowy for outdoor pics. As it is I had to wait until just before noon for enough sun to filter into the backyard... Another sign the days are getting shorter and cold weather is coming.

Hopefully this will satisfy a few of the photo-addicts that lurk around here..... (you know who you are.... Sjors.... :P ).

Incidentally... based on the number of questions I've received from people... I may have to consider writing my own rigging manual.... and for some reason that strikes me as rather odd.... since I'm far from an expert on the subject.... I dunno.... Something to ponder over then next few months anyway.....

Andy

post-34-0-36579600-1380643806_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-58824200-1380643817_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-16011100-1380643828_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-93444900-1380643839_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-83142900-1380643855_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-67067300-1380643873_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-69630500-1380643885_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Very nice indeed Andy, for one, I'd certainly welcome a tutorial on the rigging method - especially the serving on the more complex bits.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Andy,

Thank you very much !!!!!!!!!

It keeps me satisfied till december when you can make new pictures  :D  :D  :D

Wonderful pictures of a wonderful build !

And when you are writing that manual , send me a copy please…..

Have a safe trip and I will follow you again on that other topic.

Have calm seas and watch out for all the danger that is around you !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

superbly done Andy.........such a clean look about her!   sad to hear your going to be gone for that amount of time.......is it normal for you to be gone this long........it about two months :o   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Always glad to oblige you folks with a photo or two when opportunity presents itself.

Popeye, you should know there's no such thing as "normal" in the transportation industry ;)

The way I'm looking at it, two months now means a longer break until spring AND I get Christmas at home... Well worth it if you ask me :)

BE, Steve, thank you both for stopping by. Always nice to get some positive reinforcement from a couple of Pegasus/Fly vets such as yourselves. :)

Jason and Sjors you're just two of many names that popped into my head when I thought of doing my own rigging manual... Keep in mind that at the moment it's still only a possibility, I'm neither a writer, and artist or a teacher, and there's a lot of ground to cover.... That and I'd like to try to get my ship done next spring...... I hope...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, she looks absolutely impressive

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I love these outdoor shots Andy - she looks really great!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Great stuff Andy, your work on the rigging detail is incredibly impressive and inspires me to take that step up when I get there (a serving machine is required). A beautiful ship model you have there. I second Hamilton, the outdoor shots are great.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

hi Andy, just caught up with you being home and now away again, lovely work, have a safe trip, ill be following, and hopefully getting some work on my build as well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Safe travels Andy!

I won't even ask for a rigging manual, just a tutorial (collection) of steps you took while rigging.  Newbies like me need lots of help, and oh yea pictures!

I'm still awed by that all that serving.  I gotta get me a serving machine, or build one for sure...  And then copy your methods  B)

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Kevin, thank you very much. I'm looking forward to your progress. I see you slowly inching your way towards rigging.

Wes, I hope I've done ok for you as far as the picture department goes. As for a serving machine, I ended up making my own, there are many variants out there from other people, find one you like or are capable of putting together, and you'll go miles.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy