HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

A bit late on the praise-party, Andy, but let me join the chorus! She is just lovely!  :)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Adeline, it's never too late ;)

I know that may sound a little self serving, but as I said before, I am very flattered, and I hardly feel like I deserve such praise.

Thank you all so very much.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looks great Andy - what a majestic prow!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Andy

...and I hardly feel like I deserve such praise.

As we are mere men we should have learned by now not to trust our feelings. No, no, you deserve all the praise – I can feel that!

Cheers

Peter

B.E..... I can't believe I set myself up like that... :rolleyes::D

Peter, good to hear from you again :)

Hamilton, thanks buddy! Can't wait to see a little more of your build when you have the chance ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy,

What Peter said... you deserve the praise.  A fantastic job going on there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok...well, I made it home last night... A little tired... But that's too be expected. ;)

Had some running around to do today, but I did make a start on the futtock staves. I started off trying the kit supplied brass wire, but I found it a little too thick, especially after being served. So...I scrounged around and found some 0.020" wire, which, although still a little thick, looks a whole lot better. I'll try and have some photos up when there is some actual progress. I'm still in the test/experimental stages as I figure these things out...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Welcome home again then.

I don't have a futtock stave at the Mirage and I almost feel sorry that I don't make them.

I think it works a lot easier.

I will see what you make of it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

good to hear your back Andy.  take your time......a tug and a snooze......it will clear your head,  so you can produce more of your fine work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Welcome home buddy, Here's hoping they leave you alone so we can all enjoy your superb modelling skills, don't they realise when you get called away we all suffer.

Can you take some detail pics of your futtock staves, be interesting to see your process mate.

Rest up, bend your elbow then get into it.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Yes, I'd like to see how you do those as well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Futtock staves.... here's what I've come up with:

I started off with some 0.020" Brass wire, because the 1mm kit supplied wither is too thick to be used if you're going to serve them, as they should be. Even the 0.020" wire looks a little thick (by my "calibrated eye"), but it will do. Serving is easy in this case, just tie off the end and start wrapping. When I had enough wire wrapped, I dipped the whole thing in acrylic matte medium, and let it dry. I did this a couple of times more. This won't secure the thread to the wire, but it will secure it to itself, and will hold long enough, that when the time comes to cut the stave to length, there's enough time to get a drop of glue on the end without having the whole thing come unwound. Having flush cutting nippers helps, and is pretty much a necessity. I don't recommend regular wire cutters becuase in order to restore the flat end, you'd need to pass a file over it, and that's just too risky.

After all that it's simply a matter of scuring the staves to the shrouds. I just used a simple clove hitch on an angle across the stave and shroud, I would also alternate the angle: / or \, to keep the thing from twisting too much. Tie off three or four to start (spaced a couple shrouds apart). That will be enough to hold the thing in position. Let the glue securing the knots dry, cut the leftover ends and tie a few more. Continue until finished. Finally I did a final trim to length, and after the glue dried, added a small dab of black paint on the end of the wire.

Mobbsie, unfortunately my rest time at home is going to be very limited, I will have to go back to work next week. Just one of those things, I'm affraid. The good news is, I'm hoping to stay until December so I'll get Christmas at home, and hopefully my holiday will extend to next spring fitout. Fingers crossed.

Andy

post-34-0-77267800-1380378385_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-62185700-1380378396_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

VERY nice.....thanks Andy.  Will put this in my 'play book' for next time around.

Best of luck on the timing for your upcoming 'shift'. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Andy, that is very neat and tidy and nicely fitted.

So you may be away for 2 1/2 months, that's a bl--dy long time to be away. Lets hope the leave your hoping for comes off, Your gonna need that time off to recover.

Stay warm and keep dry and no going into any deep black holds, at least not without B/A.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Andy,

The rigging looks absolutely amazing. I'll definitely be reviewing your methods again (along with many others) once I start this process on my ship.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi Andy,

Re the serving machine, I couldn't pick up the model train cogs (easily that is) but did pick up a bunch of large LEGO technical cogs from eBay for a snip, should do the trick, probably even have enough left-overs for a Rope Walk should the need arise. Thanks again for all the help with it.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

that looks real sweet Andy..........I have to do some for the Gothenborg!   I have plenty of brass rod......which would probably be thin enough to work with.   I was wondering how to do this........you've made it look simple ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The futtock staves look very nice and neat, Andy - if I had seen this before starting mine on the Blandford, I'd have mimicked this technique - I might still do on the Main and foremasts if it doesn't look too contrasty with what I have on the mizzen. Have fun!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks everyone! Anything I can do to help. :)

Everyone is more than welcome to ask questions on how I do things and I am more than willing to do my best to demonstrate.

I've got another length of wire ready to go, so tomorrow I should have the lower futtock staves all in place.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice Andy. I did a similar thing with my futtock staves but used bamboo instead of wire. The wire will certainly be stronger at that thickness, so I'll add this to my play book too!

Safe travels and best of luck with the leave plans.

Very nice - that looks great, Andy!  Will likewise be adding this to my cornucopia of techniques for future use!

Sorry to see ya' heading out so soon, but getting that extended winter break would be a decided bonus!  Stay safe, sir!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Very nice - that looks great, Andy!  Will likewise be adding this to my cornucopia of techniques for future use!

Sorry to see ya' heading out so soon, but getting that extended winter break would be a decided bonus!  Stay safe, sir!

Wayne,............"cornucopia".........really?....... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

So Andy, why wire wrapped staves? I only ask because my SF didn't have them yet, and others I have seen were made of wood. Is it just a "year of the ship" thing?

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)