HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

Frank,

If you take the time to fix it now it will save you a few potential headaches down the road. As Ben mentioned, the frieze will fit better. Also, it will be much easier to get the drop that sits below the Quarter Galleries to fit against the hull.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

This is really helpful dialog, a great benefit of a group build and others willing to share their experience. 🍻

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Here’s what I’ve come up with for the starboard side…

I’m not sure anymore where the batten has to end now at the stern, as I cannot really reach the middle of part ST-D anymore now….

And where has the planking under the stern has to end now, do I have to pad that up as well?

I think at 18:17h now here I think I’ll end my session now and see further tomorrow morning….

6486622B-3691-4DDD-B14F-571F9885EC2D.jpeg

CAE6A45D-BCC5-4E80-B446-E91990297FDF.jpeg

E8F70B77-752E-44C2-8520-2AA063999D82.jpeg

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

By the way, do you glue the stern lower counter print aligned to the top of the horizontal planks, at the bottom or in the middle? the lower counter is a little bigger than the print, so I guess above and below is where the decorative frame will be?

I aligned it to the top here and then it seems fine, the double planks fit exactly to the edge of the back of the print.

My apologies for the bad pictures, but it’s already pit black outside here now…

936D0B61-21A9-48B4-94F3-0C766D1212D6.jpeg

FF06BA0B-DB85-4BAD-8DB4-BC9FAA012451.jpeg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

That looks good To my eye Frank. Your lowest strake should line up where it needs to be. 
Remember there are two strips of moulding that go on the lower counter and transition into the upper piece, I just accounted for those when placing the print in place.

EEACE7BB-9485-42D9-978B-9B7571F5D036.jpeg

Edited by scrubbyj427

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I plan to correct my lower counter with new laser cut planks from Chuck.

I can mill now and try to bend them myself, but to be sure, I also ordered them from Chuck’s.

In the meanwhile I was practicing as a novice how to mill the 7/32 x 3/64 wale planks myself. I had never milled anything in my life before!

First on some scrap planks from wine bottle boxes.

I own the humble Proxxon FET tool, so it took some time before I dared running my 7/32 planks from Chuck through my little machine.

So now, while waitin for Chuck’s replacement laser cut counter planks,

I can mill all my planks for the wales.

This is an achievement I would not have dared undertaking and doing without this build log!

So I learned a new skill this week and I’ll drink to that tonight on Christmas Eve!

They turned out nice, even and very smooth!

So proud of myself I managed to do  this!

Happy Christmas you all!!!

🎄

90529DF1-A475-4048-9ABD-39CD823DD2ED.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Nice looking planks Frank.

I own the same saw and think it is a lovely machine to use.

All the best to you and yours for Christmas 🎄 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

22 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Nice looking planks Frank.

I own the same saw and think it is a lovely machine to use.

All the best to you and yours for Christmas 🎄 

Thanks Edward, I feel very good this Christmas with this personal achievement! Nothing stands in the way of me and full  scratch building in the future… I think… 

Happy Christmas! 🎄image.png.5a109cad15258221a44c40d4d26d3f15.png

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

With Chuck’s Syren shop closed till 1st January, me not being able to live this Christmas with the correction of the lower counter planks the way I did and wanting to move on this Christmas Holidays with planking the wales, I decided to remove the lower three planks and saw and bend them myself.

The oversanded area on the two side parts ST-C will be filled with scrap planks and chiseled and sanded in the correct shape this time, as I’m not a fan of fillers on this beautiful model.

Would someone please be so kind to measure the width of the lowest two counter planks for me on their model please? I forgot to do this before I removed them. Thanks!

Happy Christmas to everyone!

9F1EE355-5989-4306-AC1C-8A3201013ABE.thumb.jpeg.2cb72731b5832b3115992fec1710af98.jpeg

1AF5DE7B-C964-4D3F-9F32-AFF1DDA59C20.jpeg

D1CFF032-3815-49FE-A895-1B5496E01A76.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

On 12/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, FrankWouts said:

The oversanded area on the two side parts ST-C will be filled with scrap planks and chiseled and sanded in the correct shape this time, as I’m not a fan of fillers on this beautiful model.

Happy holidays, Frank!

I suppose it doesn’t matter but I’m just wondering why you didn’t correct the over sanded area on the two stern frames before adding the lower counter planking? That way the lower counter planking would cover the edge of those filler planks that you want to add.

Mike

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

On 12/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, FrankWouts said:

Would someone please be so kind to measure the width of the lowest two counter planks for me on their model please?

Since you have already started to plank the lower counter there is a good chance that your width so far is different than anyone else’s. I would suggest that you refer to Chucks log to see how far down you should go with the planking and just use whatever widths would be necessary in order to  achieve that.

Mike

17 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

Happy holidays, Frank!

I suppose it doesn’t matter but I’m just wondering why you didn’t correct the over sanded area on the two stern frames before adding the lower counter planking? That way the lower counter planking would cover the edge of those filler planks that you want to add.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I did it this way because filling the oversanding area first, would leave me with the same problem of how much I would have to file and sand it down again.
First shaping the counter to the correct form will give me a reference for how much filling up and file/sand down again the area behind the counter.
Ofcourse I could have done it the way you describe and file / sand both the counter and filler together...
Frank

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

17 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

Since you have already started to plank the lower counter there is a good chance that your width so far is different than anyone else’s. I would suggest that you refer to Chucks log to see how far down you should go with the planking and just use whatever widths would be necessary in order to  achieve that.

Mike

I took "winchaptertwo.pdf" as a reference to measure the hight of the precut counter planks and planked on till I had the same width again,
Also I had still some reference line from my chisel / glue of where the edge of the smaller, lowest counter plank had been before I removed it.

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...

Added two times five rows of 7/32 planking. Practiced with my 3B pencil under the upper row. Waiting for my ochre red paint to arrive from the UK.

Frank.

AAD52B8A-6113-4250-9DA2-09A839783769.jpeg

BFDDA255-5BEA-4680-B209-3EEB1BBA0908.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

That's a very nice planking job Frank!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The black strake should clean up the top edge of the wales nicely. As Jim suggested, I painted the bottom edge of the wales off the ship.

The entire wale should be gradually tapered. The bottom edge was tapered to about 1/32”. The top edge thinned as well, so that it doesn't stand too proud of the black strake.

Anyway, that’s the way I did mine.

Mike

2 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

this is just me Frank but I paint the Wale planks off model after fitting them and prior to attaching. A whole lot cleaner and easier. Your planking is looking great.

Thanks Jim, I may do it that way. But this is only the first layer, according to Chuck's description I believe I first have to plank above the wales and then add the second planking of the wales and paint it?
I'll read it again anyway...

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

53 minutes ago, Stuntflyer said:

The black strake should clean up the top edge of the wales nicely. As Jim suggested, I painted the bottom edge of the wales off the ship.

The entire wale should be gradually tapered. The bottom edge was tapered to about 1/32”. The top edge thinned as well, so that it doesn't stand too proud of the black strake.

Anyway, that’s the way I did mine.

Mike

Clear, thanks Mike!

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just a small update to let you all know I’m still working on my Winnie…

I made a correction on the width of the upper layer of wale planks, replaced the upper row as I forgot to measure the exact thickness of the 7/32 AYC wale plank bars . Ofcourse they’re a little thicker than 7/32, as we get value for money from Chuck.

So I ordered the Byrnes thickness sander as well. The total 5 wale planks are now exactly 35/32, and the wale curve that was determined by the batten is still preserved.

My planks will be the exact thickness as indicated on the plans from now on: this won’t happen to me again!

Cheers, Frank

764ED718-8BA4-45CB-9C5D-CFD0CA6FEC53.jpeg

99AA65FD-1DE2-455F-AA00-7D00FEF19373.jpeg

6CD05A8F-9FBC-47A1-A9AE-03BBEEA26465.jpeg

CF41DA89-DD09-48BA-A3B2-122E3ECF6F03.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None