Mindboggling deal on a fully-equipped like-new ship modeling shop and kits on eBay

I hope it's okay to re-post something from eBay here. I don't know the seller, but I figured the deal was something some MSW forum member would love to hear about.

Someone is selling a complete ship modeling shop setup, plus a MS Syren kit and a wooden airplane kit, all for $1,000.00 "buy it now" or "make an offer." (No bidders to contend with. Just "first come, first served.") This seller must have bought just about everything Micro-Mark offers for ship modeling. (Not all of which I'd buy, but his choices certainly include all of the Micro-Mark stuff worth having.) He's got a Dremel "system" with drill press, router, flex shaft, etc. He's got all the hand tools anybody would want. Tons of material and supplies and parts and a nice wooden machinist's tool chest. Everything there for scratch  building, too. Plus a bunch of books and magazines. What's odd about it is that all of the stuff looks absolutely clean and brand new, almost like he (she?) bought stuff but never used it. (To some extent, I've been there, done that, and got the tee shirt myself! Haven't we all? :D) He mentions that he's selling it all, lock, stock, and barrel, because health reasons preclude his using it. He says it would cost about $3,000.00 to buy, but I'm guessing it would be way more than that.

There is a catch, of course. Because of the amount and weight of it all, the cost of shipping would be prohibitive, so you have to pick it up yourself or arrange to have somebody get it for you. He lives in Utah. 

If you are anywhere in Utah, or know somebody who is, definitely check it out.

Even if you aren't in Utah, it's worth drooling over and enjoying the bittersweet feeling of "the one that got away."

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234092055148?hash=item3680f94a6c:g:-HMAAOSwGqZg8crL

It's sad that he can't enjoy the investment but a great pick up for some lucky modeller

That is a lot of stuff for sure.  Wish I could make on offer on a few items and not the whole lot.

15 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

That is a really nice setup and unfortunately a waste of money. I don't have but maybe a tenth of that stuff and built close to 100 ship and boat models over a 25 year period.  

True. He doesn't have the "Byrnes Trifecta" (table saw, thickness sander, disk sander,) either, but as the saying goes, "He who dies with the most tools, wins!" :D 

I don't have nor did I ever have those Byrnes Trifecta. I did however buy well over $200.00 on modeling tools 25 years ago and wound up selling or giving most of them away because I didn't need them. But then again it's good excuse to tell your wife how you need all those over priced tools/toys for your hobby. I'm a minimalist, I don't even use a scroll saw, although I do own one. I use a coping saw most of the time because I have more control of it and get a better cleaner cut all be it slower. My desk top belt sander is my hand 3x21" belt sander flipped up side down on my bench.    

Edited by mtdoramike

2 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

I don't have nor did I ever have those Byrnes Trifecta. I did however buy well over $200.00 on modeling tools 25 years ago and wound up selling or giving most of them away because I didn't need them. But then again it's good excuse to tell your wife how you need all those over priced tools/toys for your hobby. I'm a minimalist, I don't even use a scroll saw, although I do own one. I use a coping saw most of the time because I have more control of it and get a better cleaner cut all be it slower. My desk top belt sander is my hand 3x21" belt sander flipped up side down on my bench.    

To each his own I guess.   There are a few items in that listing that I consider to be indispensable and are used frequently.   The rest, would just take up valuable real estate.     But for my $1000, the Byrnes Trifecta is a no brainer, toys they are not.   That said...   my wife only accepts "Model Machines" on our card statement every couple of years, ha.  After 6 years, Im 2/3 of the way to completion!

I think the fellow might have done better to make it an auction rather than try to unload the whole lot for such a steep price (not including shipping).   

must have spent longer listing it than using the gear

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

must have spent longer listing it than using the gear

That's for sure. If I were anywhere near his location, I'd be seriously thinking of picking up the lot, keeping what interested me, and selling the rest again on eBay. I'm guessing the proceeds from selling what I didn't want to keep would equal or surpass what I paid for the total. 

Seems like the ultimate turn key hobby in a box for some investor.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 2 weeks later...

The  seller gave it all away for only $500. 

Model Expo Kit - Syren US Brig is worth over $300 alone.

What a shame.

Edited by RussR
add something

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

OUCH! I'd have given him that in a hot minute if I'd known he'd take it. It was listed at a "buy it now" price. I didn't see any "or best offer" on it. Not that he hadn't spent money on some stuff I wouldn't ever have any use for. (Thank you, MicroMark and Model Expo! :D ) and there really wasn't anything in there that I needed, but I sure could have kept everything I thought I might have a need for and made money selling off what I didn't. It's a sad thing that he collected everything he needed, and they bad health interrupted it all.