HMS Sphinx 1775 by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

On 10/14/2022 at 11:54 AM, Blue Ensign said:

Post One hundred and Seventy-three

A question of display

I thought about making a support arrangement of keel blocks supplemented by small cradles much in the way that I did for Pegasus. (below) It is quite a time-consuming set-up and has implications for Sphinx where the display case height is already fixed.

DSC05408.thumb.JPG.60412796ae7aa628baf8ec9794fb54ff.JPG

Fortunately, I rather like the clear acrylic stands provided by Chris, they are nicely designed, unobtrusive, and fulfil the purpose.

DSC08794.thumb.JPG.5b31cd0cc6d9dc539bb3a346267b2641.JPG

The engraved nameplate for Sphinx I like very much.

How to display the other items within the case is also on my mind but having made them I certainly don’t want to omit the three ships boats.

DSC08777.thumb.JPG.706f31cda4989ede5a39aed2143521b3.JPG

At present Sphinx sits atop Cheerful purely for convenience but this won’t be the final display location.

DSC08768.thumb.JPG.fb0de911fad876b5d9397105e618e278.JPG

I could play around endlessly with positioning the other items within the case, but this is fairly pleasing on my eye, and Life is simply too short.

DSC08775.thumb.JPG.18e0e900beae257eb9095c4d04cc4cd3.JPG

The case also provides a convenient home to display Syren’s splendid little Double Capstan model.

DSC08773.thumb.JPG.3e727db75d3863885e64c99003115b37.JPG

DSC08774.thumb.JPG.8850c189f798d966e32c92f49303d8b0.JPG

2084109913_DSC08761(2).thumb.JPG.955f8aaa36d05bb1cd395f68d3c703b3.JPG

8761(2)

Cover on time….

DSC08800.thumb.JPG.5fb4c160a7121385b4c89d1167c5d916.JPG

This is where Sphinx will be displayed at least for the present.

Not ideal as the low level means clear viewing of her highly decorative stern is tricky. Not that it matters as I’m not open to the public, and I know what it’s like.😉

DSC08808.thumb.JPG.05b3e266b7ae8fe6dcc8809ad1d73352.JPG

By pure good fortune the base slips neatly between the legs of the Console table currently displaying Pegasus.

It is perhaps appropriate that the two ships are displayed together, both being sixth rates of the same era.

The models also share a common heritage, both being designed by the talented Mr Watton, altho’ with a good number of years in-between.

It was partly that I already had a fully masted and rigged Sixth rate that I didn’t feel too badly about consigning the kit masting and rigging elements to the spares box.

This is not quite the end of my Sphinx journey as I now have to move onto compiling a pictorial build record book as I have done with all my builds.

I will return with something considerably smaller for my next project.

Regards,

B.E.

14/10/2022

This is such a remarkable build across the board, and as you always manage to do - the bar is set high.  You are creating an incredible collection of work, and my hat is off to you, once again, B.E.

All the best,

Marc

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Congratulations!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

BE,

Although I haven't commented on this built I've keenly followed it.

Apart from the wonderful craftsmanship, I think you have got the art of displaying models nailed. Too often I see lovely models swamped inside an overbearing display unit....not the case here! The eye is drawn immediately to the model.

And the book is a wonderful idea, which I've seen you do on your other models. I imagine there is no little amount of work required in laying out the book prior to it getting published.

I can visualise you sitting in that comfortable armchair, next to the displays, flicking through the pages of the book with a suitable beverage in hand ...and a big smile 🙂

Kind regards,

Richard

That's a beautiful book, BE! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Your build log is as exceptional, as your finished HMS Sphinx is. The look and decoration of your Sphinx is somewhat different from other builds and a pleasure to look at. I will store your build log for when I start my Sphinx build. It's such a great reference, well documented and the pictures are very helpful and of high quality. Thanks for that.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

• 4 weeks later...

• 8 months later...

Great work BE.

I've drifted away from ship modelling for a bit so missed most of this build an am having a great time catching up. Fine work indeed on a fine kit. You've nailed the aesthetic of the period. I'm seriously considering a Vanguard kit now as scratch building's so time consuming.  

• 1 month later...

This build log was a fantastic help to me as I get back into model building, and picking up a several year old project of the Brig Perry. I bought the pre Blue Jacket Boucher hull and decided to have a go at it. Picking up a project after it has lain dormant for years has been a bit of a challenge. But thanks to this community of builders, I will give it another go. Thanks for taking the time to share your talent and methods. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, Blue Ensign said:

Problem solved for me but I believe the one sized middle and lower chains of the Sphinx kit may create issues for other builders, in relation to the Main Channels.

That remains to be seen.

BE - It certainly has created issues for me too!  After a lot of experimenting with the different components of the chains, I've concluded that the best way out of this is to use some 0.5mm wire to make my own upper links on the main chains - a potential solution that you had identified until you found that your old Pegasus chain sets would do the job.

I've looked at the other Sphinx build logs and only Hollowneck seems to have had the same problem, but some of the other Sphinx models have the lower bolt of the preventer plates on the wale itself, not on the upper strake of the wale, which does not look right at all.

So thanks once again BE for your detailed build log, which has helped me find a way through this problem.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models