HMS Sphinx 1775 by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

Outstanding model BE. Your work has been an inspiration for me going all the way back to Pegasus, which I built about the same time (my log lost in the great crash, I keep backups now). 

Not only is the work exceptional, your maritime knowledge gently applied in well informed modifications are always creative and interesting. The time, care, detailed, and easy to follow logs you share with us are a tutorials for us all, and always a fun read. Excellent photography too.

Chris has provided a great model with his innovative designs, you have brought it to life in a model worthy of a museum. 

Congratulations & Well Done!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Congratulations, BE! Your Sphinx is stunning and your build log has been a pleasure to follow. I'm sure all of us who follow your builds will be anxiously waiting to see what you choose next.  

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations on yet another splendid model, with a great log to match. Well done!

Derek 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Congratulations. A great model and a wonderfully inspiring build log.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Congratulations BE on finishing this beautiful model.  Your build log has been a pleasure to follow and will be an inspiration for future builders of the Sphinx.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Tis’ a thing of beauty, Sir. Congratulations and kudos. Your build has truly been an inspiration for many of us.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Just a total "wow" build, BE.  I agree with the others, it's a true inspiration to us.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful build BE! Thanks for sharing your incredible skills.

Ian

Congratulations on a great model and a build log that was enjoyable to follow and will be a tremendous help to others who follow.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

B.E.  I'm a little late with my congratulations, but they are heartfelt nonetheless.  I appreciate the amount of time it takes to make a build log as comprehensive as yours, but what a great impact it has had.  I learn as much from you as I do from actually making my own model.

So thank you very much for sharing the build of your superb Sphinx, and I also wish to add a postscript relating to your build log for Alert. You finished this well before I began Alert as my first model, and your build log was a massive help in making my Alert as good as possible.  Chris' kits are clearly fantastic, but your complementary build log increased my enjoyment and skills no end.

Thank you and I can't wait to see your next project.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

You have done a masterful job on her.  I think I had as much fun watching you build her as you had building her.  

Beautiful work. 

Bit late, but congratulations on yet another fine build, with just the perfect amount of period 'je ne sais quoi' that you excel at!

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Another true work of art BE!  Thank you for sharing your journey with us, including all your clever techniques.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congratulations BE! I can only repeat, what was already said before: this is another masterpiece of typical BE craftsmanship, and your build log is a wonderful help and inspiration for your fellow ship modelers. I can't wait to see how you are going to display this beauty 🙂

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Post One hundred and Seventy-three

A question of display

I thought about making a support arrangement of keel blocks supplemented by small cradles much in the way that I did for Pegasus. (below) It is quite a time-consuming set-up and has implications for Sphinx where the display case height is already fixed.

DSC05408.thumb.JPG.60412796ae7aa628baf8ec9794fb54ff.JPG

Fortunately, I rather like the clear acrylic stands provided by Chris, they are nicely designed, unobtrusive, and fulfil the purpose.

DSC08794.thumb.JPG.5b31cd0cc6d9dc539bb3a346267b2641.JPG

The engraved nameplate for Sphinx I like very much.

How to display the other items within the case is also on my mind but having made them I certainly don’t want to omit the three ships boats.

DSC08777.thumb.JPG.706f31cda4989ede5a39aed2143521b3.JPG

At present Sphinx sits atop Cheerful purely for convenience but this won’t be the final display location.

DSC08768.thumb.JPG.fb0de911fad876b5d9397105e618e278.JPG

I could play around endlessly with positioning the other items within the case, but this is fairly pleasing on my eye, and Life is simply too short.

DSC08775.thumb.JPG.18e0e900beae257eb9095c4d04cc4cd3.JPG

The case also provides a convenient home to display Syren’s splendid little Double Capstan model.

DSC08773.thumb.JPG.3e727db75d3863885e64c99003115b37.JPG

DSC08774.thumb.JPG.8850c189f798d966e32c92f49303d8b0.JPG

2084109913_DSC08761(2).thumb.JPG.955f8aaa36d05bb1cd395f68d3c703b3.JPG

8761(2)

Cover on time….

DSC08800.thumb.JPG.5fb4c160a7121385b4c89d1167c5d916.JPG

This is where Sphinx will be displayed at least for the present.

Not ideal as the low level means clear viewing of her highly decorative stern is tricky. Not that it matters as I’m not open to the public, and I know what it’s like.😉

DSC08808.thumb.JPG.05b3e266b7ae8fe6dcc8809ad1d73352.JPG

By pure good fortune the base slips neatly between the legs of the Console table currently displaying Pegasus.

It is perhaps appropriate that the two ships are displayed together, both being sixth rates of the same era.

The models also share a common heritage, both being designed by the talented Mr Watton, altho’ with a good number of years in-between.

It was partly that I already had a fully masted and rigged Sixth rate that I didn’t feel too badly about consigning the kit masting and rigging elements to the spares box.

This is not quite the end of my Sphinx journey as I now have to move onto compiling a pictorial build record book as I have done with all my builds.

I will return with something considerably smaller for my next project.

Regards,

B.E.

14/10/2022

SPHYNX without the waterline is a different look.  I like it!  Well done BE.  :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I like how both models complement one another in your sophisticated, elegant presentation; the table has worked quite nicely in the sitting room also.

I believe I’ve spotted a Geoff Hunt print on the right, but I can’t quite make out the one to the left. The Syren capstan is a nice touch.

I’d be quite comfortable in this room were I your guest; you’d find me sprawled on the carpet straining to get closer looks🤩

Like many of our colleagues here,  I’ll be keeping a sharp weather eye out for the next Blue Ensign masterwork.

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I've been away so I'm a bit late to add my congratulations on the completion of your wonderful model of HMS Sphinx. I have closely followed your log and like Pegausus before it, it has been an inspiration and an encouragement in my model shipbuilding.

I will be greatly looking forward to your next masterpiece.

David 

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Congratulations on a beautiful model and a memorable build log. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks for a really interesting and great build. I really agree about the possibilities of perspex as a base. Looking forward to the next build!

Tony