IJN Yamato 1945 by CDW - Pontos - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

44 minutes ago, CDW said:

This is about all I can handle at one time, in one sitting. Taking breaks in between tedious work like this is a must.

That's really nice detail on there, wow!  You're doing a fantastic job on it.  Putting aside the PE, the hull detail with the plating is really crisp and impressive.

I know what you mean about taking breaks.  Need to relax the eyes and hands, and sorta reset the mind.  I also find I need to stretch my back and legs if I'm sitting too long hunched over with the optivisor and tweezers :) 

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That's really nice detail on there, wow!  You're doing a fantastic job on it.  Putting aside the PE, the hull detail with the plating is really crisp and impressive.

I know what you mean about taking breaks.  Need to relax the eyes and hands, and sorta reset the mind.  I also find I need to stretch my back and legs if I'm sitting too long hunched over with the optivisor and tweezers :) 

Thanks Mike.

I know it's probably unorthodox, but I prefer to stand to do my modeling.

Some excellent work there.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

Some excellent work there.

OC.

Thanks OC. For some reason, the other side currently under construction doesn't fit quite as well as the one pictured. It only takes just a tiny fraction off to cause a lot of extra work, but nothing some patience and a good diamond file can't fix. Taking my time, enjoying the journey.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:41 AM, CDW said:

Spent a little more time to finish up this particular detail, which will be repeated in kind on the other side of the ship.

247414A6-291E-4AB2-80E8-C928D3ECAD91.thumb.jpeg.0c087ad5368a2ec700998784823044d8.jpeg

The detail in this  photo is amazing.

When I consider:

a. The scale

b. The amount of detail visible here and the fact that much of it will be difficult to appreciate once the model is upright

and

c. The skill and patience essential in carrying out this work..

then I raise my cap to you Craig. If it's any compensation, it has helped to motivate me to return to my Hood after a laziness- and frustration-induced sabbatical and once a few ordered items have arrived, will see me returning to the fold myself - albeit with somewhat  lower skill-levels.

Excellent.

Japanese WW2 ships are unbeatable in details if you can handle them.

Competition in 1/700 has lead the companies to offer products almost identical to 1/350 scale. This is very welcomed for us.  Of course this has lead to some overscale like rivets and porthole frames. But at the end,  its up to the builder. It is a hobby for personal recreation and he is the one who needs to feel comfortable with the outcome.

23 hours ago, RogerF said:

The detail in this  photo is amazing.

When I consider:

a. The scale

b. The amount of detail visible here and the fact that much of it will be difficult to appreciate once the model is upright

and

c. The skill and patience essential in carrying out this work..

then I raise my cap to you Craig. If it's any compensation, it has helped to motivate me to return to my Hood after a laziness- and frustration-induced sabbatical and once a few ordered items have arrived, will see me returning to the fold myself - albeit with somewhat  lower skill-levels.

Excellent.

Thanks for the kind words Roger. Much appreciated.

31 minutes ago, CDW said:

Got a little more done between other more important chores.

What?  There's things more important then model ships?   Sacrilege, sir. :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, CDW said:

other more important chores

?????????????????????????? What can be more important than getting a chance to model your favorite latest subject? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I thought that went, "Happy wife, HECTIC life!" I think I may have been doing it wrong for the last 40 years!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Have a good one Craig

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Enjoy the family and the holiday, Craig.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

Great work on this, it looking amazing.   I think there is an error in the rudder, in all the pictures of the Yamato I've seen, the larger rudder is closest to the stern, behind the smaller rudder.  I'm not sure if its possible to go back and fix it now, and I think it looks good as it is, but you may want to correct it. 

1 hour ago, Spooky spoon said:

Great work on this, it looking amazing.   I think there is an error in the rudder, in all the pictures of the Yamato I've seen, the larger rudder is closest to the stern, behind the smaller rudder.  I'm not sure if its possible to go back and fix it now, and I think it looks good as it is, but you may want to correct it. 

You are absolutely correct, it's an error of my own making as my plans clearly show the rudders just as you have stated. Thanks for the keen eye and pointing it out to me so I can correct it now before paint work is started.