HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - FINISHED

6 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Yeah and they've stuffed up their web site, so it is harder to find ships plans you want! 🤨

True.

Finding ships plans in the "updated" site has become a struggle and there are a number of sad MSW members who've expressed frustration about this new reality- including myself.

However, I was searching "ships paintings" just today and had surprisingly good results - albeit a slog as their host server(s) are obviously over-burdened and it was very slow; worst case, the RMG site breaks as is the case this evening, at this very moment as I enter this post. The site currently is not functioning. I suspect the part of this problem is the massive amount of high-resolution content that the servers struggle to deliver to one's browser.

Perhaps there's a dreadful Summer heat wave in the U.K.? Or, perhaps they were hacked by an angry FSB? Hot, in' it?

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

17 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

True.

Finding ships plans in the "updated" site has become a struggle and there are a number of sad MSW members who've expressed frustration about this new reality- including myself.

However, I was searching "ships paintings" just today and had surprisingly good results - albeit a slog as their host server(s) are obviously over-burdened and it was very slow; worst case, the RMG site breaks as is the case this evening, at this very moment as I enter this post. The site currently is not functioning. I suspect the part of this problem is the massive amount of high-resolution content that the servers struggle to deliver to one's browser.

Perhaps there's a dreadful Summer heat wave in the U.K.? Or, perhaps they were hacked by an angry FSB? Hot, in' it?

Yeah im sure it is the British Summer heatwave we are suffering, 18 degs here yesterday LOL

Edited by Kevin

On 6/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, James H said:

At least I'm right-handed and don't need that to fret my guitar.

Guitar I hear  - I used to play Bass  - 

OC.

ENd5MigWsAAXvYc.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 6/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, chris watton said:

This will be Indy's colour scheme, more or less

Indy.jpg

That painting  is  of  Plymouth UK.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:40 PM, chris watton said:

Just had the first render of the 3-d file of the new figure for my approval. This is Pellew, Hornblower is being worked on now, so next week, I will have the two new figures and the Indy figurehead. This will eventually be looking out from the poop on Jim's model!

ETA - Pellew is modelled in a captain's outfit, as I will be developing Indy as she most likely appeared between 1795-98ish

I will most likely do a 48th and 96th version for this and Hornblower/tall skinny lieutenant... 

pellew3.jpg

pellew2.jpg

Looks Superb  - will look  ace  with some good paint😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:52 PM, whitejamest said:

That's lovely. Well sculpted 1/64 crew figures are something I wish were much more available. Glad you are adding some. 

Ned to see more  Dio's  on these builds....

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:46 PM, yvesvidal said:

I definitely hope some figures in 1/48th scale will become available. I am not sold on the Amati figures of 35 mm....

Yves

Indeed,   we need some  figures  in these  Amazing builds   - so adds to the  real life  of the builds.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:52 PM, James H said:

There'll be an update in the next days, but in the meantime, here are some pictures of the Indy figurehead and also 1:64 figures of both Pellew and Hornblower. Both of the figures will be on the website in the next days, but Pellew will also be included with HMS Indefatigable when the kit is released.

290600532_415000527223656_6604565608814750816_n.jpg

289972049_314081877492105_8067624479267635757_n.jpg

289921867_1146914882835637_9186172334082613586_n.jpg

290048462_564293498408582_804364077133816879_n.jpg

Please who ever  does these  - cut them off the bases  before  placing them on the decks..

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Might not the figure be supported with two small resin pegs under his feet so he can stand without a stand? Or can the feet be cleanly removed from the base without damaging the figure?

Nice work!

I do it with my plastic figures   - but might need more care  with 3D resin ones.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 minutes ago, E Z Breeze said:

The problem with that is the need to make holes in the deck for pins or to glue the feet to the deck. However, careful choice of glue (washable PVA?) could be a the way to go.  

I cut my bases off  and  trim the  feet/shoes  then  use  good  Super Glue  to  fix my figures down  - guess  same  should  work with  resin?

You need to experiment  with  how much  is enough  but  wont  ooze out  making a mess.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just as an example  here  are my Waterloo  28mm  figures  that have been  cut away from there  plastic bases  the  glued down  using  CA glue.

Spoiler

as

IMG_0089.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Later today, I should have available to buy the Hornblower and Pellew figures in 72nd, 64th and 48th scale.

I like the bases, as most of the supports go there, so very few on the figures themselves.

Also today Jim should be receiving another parcel containing the remainder of the Indy laser cut parts along with figurehead and figures.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

For those that object to the base, in addition to either using pins or pegs to keep your figure upright, why not use a piece of acetate as a base it is clear and unobtrusive. Then you don't have to drill holes in the decking.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

A very quick update. 

I've just received the masting materials from Chris, along with some amended timber parts sheets etc. Also in the pack were the Pellew and Hornblower figures, plus the Indy figurehead. I thought I'd do some pics for you of the figures.

Also, the Pellew and Hornblower figures are now available for sale on the VM site, in 1:48, 1:64, and 1:72 scales. Get them while they're fresh off the press! 🤪

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/model-figures/

DSC_1083.jpg

DSC_1085.jpg

Hornblower:

DSC_1079.jpg

DSC_1080.jpg

Pellew:

DSC_1081.jpg

DSC_1082.jpg

lm going to enjoy building mine. counting down the days

Not a massive update, and there have been two prow reworks to get it spot on.

That held me up a few days in total, plus my health hasn't been conducive to extended workshop sessions. Anyway, the hull is now fully first planked in 6mm wide strips of 1.5mm thick lime. For me, that's the king of my least favourite parts done, next to sanding it! I used a combination of palm sander and manual muscle/sweat to clean up the planks. After that was done, I opened up the gun ports so they are almost at right size.

162.jpeg

163.jpeg

164.jpeg

The inner, side bulwarks are left a little long so they can be trimmed exactly to your own build. To level up to the stern timbers, I use a rule and pencil to drawn an extended line from the stern timbers, then trim/sand to the correct length. The lower, curved area etc. are also trimmed back to the stern timbers.

165.jpeg

166.jpeg

This little part sits across the inside of the stern timbers. It will later have a shelf sat on top which will help with its placement. Here it is fitted.

167.jpeg

168.jpeg

To make things easier later on in the project, three poop deck beams are slotted into place (#1, 5, and 10) so I can temporarily fit the poop deck. This will help you sand the back edge to the same as the stern. Even though I show/include this, on my prototype it fit without needing any sanding at rear.

170.jpeg

171.jpeg

The quarter gallery frames are now built up...well partially. These will soon be temporarily fitted to help with the vital positioning of the stern elements (stern face, middle and lower counters).

176.jpeg

Until next time...

16 minutes ago, James H said:

That held me up a few days in total, plus my health hasn't been conducive to extended workshop sessions.

Glad to see you're back at your bench, Jim. Stay well.

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thought that Indy figurehead looked familiar to me...😬

This photo of my U.S.F. Confederacy "Navy Board"- styled model.

All the new Vanguard sculpts and the 3D prints and materials look excellent. I plan to place my Captain Pennypincher ( Vanguard's "Cochran" 1:64 figurine) aboard HMS Camilla.

Can you encourage Chris to sculpt a Top Gun (Tom Cruise) one for INDY?

IndyFhead.jpg

Ron

16 hours ago, hollowneck said:

True.

As for the slow down, it's very possible that part of the cause is the updates and adding in the images. Not sure when they would do their maintenance work, uploads, etc. but most commercial places do them at night.  It's possible they don't have a "night shift" for this and need to do it whenever they can.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Glad you are feeling better James. That is a lot of progress for still not feeling up to par. Stashing money away in anticipation of Indies release to the public.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Let's bring this up to date.

Another element that needs to be temporarily fitted is the shelf that sits in the rear of the day cabin, encompassing the rudder housing.This piece slots into the stern timbers and needs to be pushed the whole way in so the whole protrusion will stick out at the back. That is then sanded flush with the stern. 

176.jpeg

177.jpeg

To make sure the placement of all stern parts is exact so the rails run around the rear and onto the quarter galleries, it' VITAL that we work from the top, downwards. The main, inner stern is first temporarily clamped into place. It pays off to get this in exactly the right position. When it is correct, the stern will be 2mm above the bulwark, and the inside edge of the outer window will sit flush with the quarter gallery frames that are also clamped into place. The bottom MDF quarter gallery frame will also angle in line with the bottom of the stern. Lastly, the shelf we fitted just earlier, should sit slightly below the height of the lower window frame. It's a lot to adjust, but trust me, this is the best way of doing it.

179.jpeg

The middle counter is now positioned directly underneath this. Some bevelling is done to make sure it fits snug against the upper stern. The bottom edge of this part will sit at the point where the stern flows into the lower curve. If it doesn't, this part can be trimmed slightly. Pins are now used to hold this in place. Again, NO GLUE!

181.jpeg

The bottom stern counter can now be fitted. This was first soaked and allowed to dry around a tin so that it had a gentle curve that would take the strain off the next task. The counter is pushed up directly underneath the middle counter and the bottom edge of this part is marked with a pencil. My prototype varies very slightly to the production kit, and that will be reflected in text in manual. I now cut along the pencil line and remove the planking from above that line.

183a.jpeg

183b.jpeg

The lower counter is now glued and pinned and into place.

184.jpeg

The upper parts are now removed as adding them at this stage will mean they'll get snagged. The lower counter is now shaped into the hull.

185.jpeg

The prow underwent its third revision to cater to the figurehead, and this new part was now glued into place on the hull.

187.jpeg

Next, the lower keel parts are added...

189.jpeg

The rest of the keel is now added, and then the rudder post is fitted with its engraved facings and installed. This part sits into the notch in the keel and pushes tight up against the inner stern construction. No clamping needed!

190.jpeg

194.jpeg

The rest of the keel and prow engraved facings are added and copiously held with clamps. You can never, ever have enough of those.

198.jpeg

The second layer of timber starts by fitting the outside forecastle bulwarks. When these are dry, the gun port blanks are removed and the hull starts to transform a little.

200.jpeg

201.jpeg

The rear outside bulwarks are now to be fitted. The quarter gallery frames are temporarily clamped into place and the parts glued. Note that I've remove the blank in the fore gun port hole.

202.jpeg

205.jpeg

The lower, outside counter is now glued, clamped and pinned in place.

207.jpeg

Indy now looks like this. ☺️

208.jpeg

Until next time.

Great updates thank you @James H

Edited by Kevin

Today I received the Indy sample photo etched sheets. These will be sent over to Jim soon!

I put together the PE for the stove (wrong glasses so very rough), the stove is an old prototype print, so doesn't look great, but you can see how the PE fits. This set will also be available to buy separately (64th only with the PE) soon. 

Ind 85.JPG

Ind 87.JPG

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook