HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

such excellent work 👍 a pleasure for the eyes - a bit frustrating for my brain to possibly try to get near there 😀👌

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Ok, major update time!

I've actually had a lot of subassemblies ready for a while, as this log shows, but now it's time for adding them in. What I haven't shown here is the spirketting that I added and fitting the eyelets to the inner bulwark gun positions. You'll have to wait until manual is finished for those! I've had to take about 100 photos these last days and sequence them, with the ones I took ages ago. Ok, first paint is for the coamings, after masking off the garlands and glue area for grates.

253.jpg

Coamings now fitted without grates as they are more flexible for deck curve.

254.jpg

255.jpg

256.jpg

257.jpg

I've probably posted this pic before, but this just shows that the ladders are now being fitted, along with the grates. 

262.jpg

265b.jpg

266.jpg

274.jpg

282.jpg

I pre-assembled the bitts etc in situ, then removed them when dry before painting. These are now added into place for the last time.

284.jpg

285.jpg

And more...

Knees(?) now added, as well as a painted brick floor for the stove.

288.jpg

291.jpg

And the gun carts now have some colour applied to them, as well as ironwork and wheels. Remember, these won't be fitted with barrels until the model is more or less complete.

298.jpg

299.jpg

300a.jpg

302.jpg

Capstan finally done.

313.jpg

As are the hand pumps.

325.jpg

326.jpg

No one wants to walk down stairs without a safety rope around them!

327.jpg

And the stove makes an appearance.

347.jpg

And this is Indy up to date. Back in the shipyard tomorrow :) 

Untitled-1.jpg

Very nice indeed, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Really good stuff here. That stove looks incredible, the weathering powder really makes it look like cast iron.

Edited by BenD

Looks like another high quality model from Vanguard.   Are the gratings made from individual strips versus laser cut holes?  They look GREAT.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Well done.  Amazing design and assembly. I never quite comprehend the speed you manage to do this work. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Time for another update. 

This was something I was looking forward to doing. Not covering up all that work I'd just done, but to turn a corner and be able to do it all again for the next layer in the Indy cake.

Before I did that, I needed to add the scale-sized cannonballs to the shot garlands. These are done with liquid CA and some thin-ended paddle tweezers that won't knock the previous ball glued into place.

350.jpg

And with that, it's onto the beams. As the upper side will have some timber showing through the deck cutouts, these were totally cleaned of char. The whole upper face was cleaned also because they look much better for the instruction photos.

351.jpg

There are two lengths of pillar, depending on whether they sit on a deck or on a grate coaming. 

352a.jpg

All deck beams were painted red, except for the upper side and all the slots. The beam ID is engraved on each beam and this ties in with the engraved number of the deck beam sill. The beams are now slotted and glued into position. Those beams that are supported are continually test fitted with a pillar before being finally glued. Also important to make sure the pillar doesn't push the beam higher than was intended. A steel rule checks this as I go.

353.jpg

356.jpg

357.jpg

The forward beam for the quarterdeck is not only shaped in profile, but also curved across its length. To create this, the beam is made from laminated pear parts, glued together over a jig. When this is dry, the part is cleaned up and fitted into place, sitting atop two of the bitts.

361.jpg

365.jpg

366.jpg

Included in the kit will be a set of optional lodging and hanging knees. It'll be up to you if you want the extra work, but for the manual, I have to take one for the team! These are the hanging knees. The truncated ones are the parts that will be fitted where the gun port would otherwise be obstructed by the longer part. Of course, each part also needs to be specifically shaped to its position. Plenty of spares are supplied.

376.jpg

Here they are fitted, along with the lodging knees.

377.jpg

And the fore deck beams are now added, with the optional knees also installed, followed by the boat beams. These also have optional knees. 

383.jpg

385.jpg

And here she is so far!!

388.jpg

The cannon balls are 2.5mm. These are the closest match I could get for the 24 Pounders, which work out to about 2.4mm balls, scale wise.

All of the upper deck beams, with the exception of the boat beams, were originally done in 6mm MDF, but decided pear would be a much better choice. So each kit will have a big slab of 6x100x500mm pear sheet..

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

56 minutes ago, Surgeonstone said:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Three questions. Overall dimensions anticipated with masking and rigging up. 2) planned availability date. 3) Expected cost. 
kerp the great posts coming. 

Overall length

(with Flying Jibboom) - 1345mm

(without Flying Jibboom) - 1247mm

Hull Only - (approx.) 880mm

Height Overall - Approx 875mm

Width of Main Yard and Stunsail Booms tips- 500mm

Planned delivery date - When it's ready! Am hoping end of this year.

Price - Between £1250 and £1350, but this can change.

Today I completed mast and yard drawings, so 'just' the rigging plans left to do for my part...

ETA - Had this arrive today..

Indy painting.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

These are the closest match I could get for the 24 Pounders, which work out to about 2.4mm balls, scale wise.

Can't get much closer than that Chris. 😀   What material are the balls?   Number 8 shot is smaller but may be hard to find these days although that is what we used when dove hunting back in the day.  Great to see your attention to detail in even the small things at Vanguard. 

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 6/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, James H said:

There'll be an update in the next days, but in the meantime, here are some pictures of the Indy figurehead and also 1:64 figures of both Pellew and Hornblower. Both of the figures will be on the website in the next days, but Pellew will also be included with HMS Indefatigable when the kit is released.

289921867_1146914882835637_9186172334082613586_n.jpg

Hornblower was a midshipman on Indefatigable.  He wouldn't have that coat or epaulets, and midshipmen carried a dirk (about a foot long blade) as a badge of rank), or a ship's cutlass in combat, not a sword.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

11 minutes ago, JerryTodd said:

Hornblower was a midshipman on Indefatigable.  He wouldn't have that coat or epaulets, and midshipmen carried a dirk (about a foot long blade) as a badge of rank), or a ship's cutlass in combat, not a sword.

Hornblower isn't supplied with this kit. Just Pellew. It's up to the modeller if they want to include Hornblower and any uniform vagaries (bearing in mind most folk wouldn't know anyway...I certainly didn't).

What a wonderful looking kit and a simply superb build so far. Congrats to both Chris and James.

This is the kind of build I dreamt of when I first bought my HMS Cruiser kit as a "learner build". Maybe one day I will feel up to attempting such a beauty. (Mind you I need to finish the Cruiser first!! lol) 

Current build

HMS Cruiser - Caldercraft - 1:64

2 minutes ago, Peregrinator said:

What a wonderful looking kit and a simply superb build so far. Congrats to both Chris and James.

This is the kind of build I dreamt of when I first bought my HMS Cruiser kit as a "learner build". Maybe one day I will feel up to attempting such a beauty. (Mind you I need to finish the Cruiser first!! lol) 

While it's an advanced level kit, if you've got some building experience under your built and can think logically, this won't be beyond many people. 

14 hours ago, JerryTodd said:

I think it is quite certain that almost everyone on these forums know this, me included, as I have read every single book more than twice over. I also know the books refer to Indy actions at a time when she did not even exist as a razee.

I asked for a Lieutenant Hornblower, and this is what I got. :)

logo.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 1:24 PM, chris watton said:

Overall length

(with Flying Jibboom) - 1345mm

(without Flying Jibboom) - 1247mm

Hull Only - (approx.) 880mm

Height Overall - Approx 875mm

Width of Main Yard and Stunsail Booms tips- 500mm

Planned delivery date - When it's ready! Am hoping end of this year.

Price - Between £1250 and £1350, but this can change.

Today I completed mast and yard drawings, so 'just' the rigging plans left to do for my part...

ETA - Had this arrive today..

Indy painting.jpg

I have that same print Chris!