HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

The kit looks great!   Where do the curved name pieces go?  By the shape I am guessing the stern.   By order of the Admiralty names were not permitted on the sterns before 1780 or after 1790 and well into the 18th century.  We have seen exceptions but the only two contemporary paintings I could find of her do not have the name on the stern that I can see so I am assuming (I know, that is not usually a smart thing to do) that in 1794 there should be no name.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-109649 is one example.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 minutes ago, allanyed said:

The kit looks great!   Where do the curved name pieces go?  By the shape I am guessing the stern.   By order of the Admiralty names were not permitted on the sterns before 1780 or after 1790 and well into the 18th century.  We have seen exceptions but the only two contemporary paintings I could find of her do not have the name on the stern that I can see so I am assuming (I know, that is not usually a smart thing to do) that in 1794 there should be no name.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-109649 is one example.

Allan

In all fairness, can that engraving be trusted as evidence? After all, it shows round gun ports on the quarter too. Also all main gun deck ports seems to be lidded on that illustration.

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 10.43.29.png

Indy had a very active 20 year career as a razee, I just wanted to cover all the bases.

As it is a wooden model kit, those can build it and add or leave off what they wish, depending on the time frame they want to model the kit in.

I have that picture above, the only accurate detail of Indy is the position of the quarter galleries.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Good points gentlemen.  As with any model, the builder can do as they please even if it is non-conventional. My apologies for bringing it up, just thought it  might have been of interest to some folks. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, James H said:

This photo gives a rough idea of the size of Indefatigable to Amati's 1:64 Victory.

IMG_0241.jpg

aDDOMMZ_460s.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Very exciting times for folks that are interested in top of the line ship designs and kits.  I'll be buying this one and very much looking forward to building it. 

regards and good luck to James and Chris for this huge project.

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

On 5/19/2022 at 9:55 AM, Vane said:

It looks like the Hornblower TV series used a completely different ship!  

Indy.webp

I have the book about the ships and models used in the Hornblower series. The ship used was Grand Turk, now called Étoile du Roy.

If you believe Wikipedia the overall length of Grand Turk is 8 feet less than the length of Indefatigable's gundeck.

I have been wanting to build the Indy ever since watching the series, so this will be very interesting.

Work has now begun.

First, the obligatory disposable cradle shot 😃

3.jpeg

Indy certainly isn't short of bulkheads. There are 18 in total, with #9 midships being a double layer bulkhead. There are no bevel marks on Indy. They simply aren't needed for a kit of this level. Fairing will be an easy task. All bulkheads are 4mm MDF, as is the keel.

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

The keel slots are numbered too so you get things in the right place.

8.jpeg

Indy is a strange build in that practically all you see in this update, with the exception of lower deck/orlop detail, can be assembled initially with no glue. All bulkheads you see being added here are put into position as such.

10.jpeg

11.jpeg

Now this is where the magic happens. Once all bulkheads (apart from #1, #2, #15, #16, #17 and #18 because they aren't needed yet) are slotted into their position, these keel doublers are added, bulking out the keel to 12mm! What these do is to hold the bulkheads in their exact position. while pegs slot through the holes to lock everything into position. Zero glue apart from the pegs themselves.

13.jpeg

14.jpeg

Bulkheads #15, #16 and #17 are now added because the fairing parts will now lock them into position as with the other bulkheads.

18.jpeg

21.jpeg

Bulkheads #1 and #2 are now fitted, but NO GLUE at this time. The fairing patterns are now added. You will see these as No.s 37, 38 and 39. Like the others, these are pegged into place.

24.jpeg

26.jpeg

Is there an orlop deck? There certainly is. This is it 😆
Nothing more is needed. In fact, you'll probably not even see this without an endoscope. This part is glued into place. 

28.jpeg

The 3mm MDF sub deck is now fitted. Care needs to be taken around the bulkhead ears. You should have no problem....just don't go charging in. To fit this, I ran some Titebond down the 12mm wide keel centreline. Nothing here needed to be weighted down or pinned. It fit perfectly with a reassuring push.

30.jpeg

33.jpeg

Pegs are now pushed into position which give a further aid to making sure everything is level.

35b.jpeg

At this stage, things look like this:

38.jpeg

This photo shows the standard ply engraved section for the lower deck. As I've said, you'll be hard pressed to see this stuff, unless you're an ant that's crawled in. But in case you are, or have that endoscope I mentioned, the detail is there in part. Here you see the ply engraved part along with the optional maple deck section which I have opted to use for this build.

The deck section is now glued into place.

39b.jpeg

40.jpeg

Two, 2-part grates are now built and added.

41.jpeg

43.jpeg

44.jpeg

And of course, you'll need some steps down to the dinky orlop deck.

45.jpeg

48.jpeg

50.jpeg

51.jpeg

These two beams are now added, again without glue.

52.jpeg

54.jpeg

These two beams hole them firmly in place and are located with two pegs each, glued into the slots.

56.jpeg

57b.jpeg

58b.jpeg

And lastly for this update, a whole raft of deck beams are fitted between those two longitudinal parts.

59.jpeg

60a.jpeg

60b.jpeg

Until next time!

Wow you really get a sense of her size with the shots of the sub deck and your arm!

Will be watching this closely, as like many other people here I am saving my pennies.  

Mind you Santa might be good to me this year……….

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

12 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

It great to see the innovations incorporated in this design. It looks like it is going to be an amazing model.

I am sure ZHL of China will soon integrate these new designs into their next kits sometime soon....

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

This isn't some easy kit to copy that has 6 bulkheads and a hand full of pre cut parts + White metal castings. I bet they would try though...

On 5/19/2022 at 5:57 AM, chris watton said:

The real Indy would have been double the size!

Psych!🤯...easily TWICE.

Oh well, creative license by film directors.. should I build this one with sails I'm planning on having a separate room to display her!

(if one browses through my history of builds below, most of them are displayed in my home, so I am truly fortunate to have SPACE..."The Final Frontier...") Not bragging, just thankful.

Edited by hollowneck
grammar, added sentiments

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, BenD said:

This isn't some easy kit to copy that has 6 bulkheads and a hand full of pre cut parts + White metal castings. I bet they would try though...

thats why ZHL are crap kits

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat