HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

27 minutes ago, James H said:

One day, my wife will say that about my guitars! 

I also have a large collection of guitars, from my days as a semi pro musician. My favorite is a Gordon Smith Galaxy, hand built uk guitar, one of 3 Gordon Smith guitars in my collection. I tended to use my two Line 6 variax's when gigging for the versatility of sounds. I also have a "blackie" fender strat.

Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)

37 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

And she said NO !!!!! You have way too many boxes !!

Yves

just the opposite, said yes, and go for the boxwood as well, lol i must have hidden the boxes well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Oh, I did forget to add, all laser cut parts have their part number laser etched next to them. In some cases, this doubles the time each sheet is on the laser bed, but it does lessen the ambiguity of identifying the parts, and there are a lot of parts!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

On 12/11/2022 at 3:30 PM, chris watton said:

Pricing:

VM/12               HMS INDEFATIGABLE - £1350
VM/12/PB         HMS INDEFATIGABLE  Machined Pear block and deadeye set - £140
VM/12/Box        HMS INDEFATIGABLE  Boxwood Planking set -£450

VM12/D1          HMS INDEFATIGABLE  Laser engraved deck set -£120

VM12/CP01      HMS INDEFATIGABLE  PE copper plate set  -£150

Chris can these items be ordered individually overtime to spread the cost out a bit?  Or Would you prefer it all at one time on the pre-order?

Thanks

Guy

5 minutes ago, Guyuti said:

Chris can these items be ordered individually overtime to spread the cost out a bit?  Or Would you prefer it all at one time on the pre-order?

Thanks

Guy

They should all be for sale separately except the boxwood option, as the pear needs to be replaced. 

logo.jpg

These VM kits are like some sort of 3D-puzzle. It is amazing how kits have evolved trough the years - compared to early Caldercraft kits like the Cruiser brig. Nowadays most of the hard work has already been done for the modeler. But James's skills may the building of the prototype look a lot easier than it actually is. BTW I liked the unpainted one a lot more - such a shame to cover all the nice wood ..

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

23 minutes ago, captain_hook said:

These VM kits are like some sort of 3D-puzzle. It is amazing how kits have evolved trough the years - compared to early Caldercraft kits like the Cruiser brig. Nowadays most of the hard work has already been done for the modeler. But James's skills may the building of the prototype look a lot easier than it actually is. BTW I liked the unpainted one a lot more - such a shame to cover all the nice wood ..

No wooden kit is easy, but the difficulty can be mitigated, but never erased completely. All we can do is give the modeller the best chance possible to build and end up with something they can be proud of, and most of all, enjoy the experience.

logo.jpg

OK, I streamlined the pricing options and now have the box details for shipping.

Here are the prices:

VM/12           HMS INDEFATIGABLE  (February 2023 Release)                                                                                              £1350

VM/12/Box    HMS INDEFATIGABLE  Boxwood Planking (This replaces all pearwood and red alder planking (Decks)        £1800

VM12/D1       HMS INDEFATIGABLE  Laser engraved deck set (Very Limited supply - Red alder planking still included)     £120

VM12/CP01   HMS INDEFATIGABLE  PE copper plate set (Including rudder shape PE)_                                                        £150

VM/12/PB      HMS INDEFATIGABLE  Pear block and deadeye set (This set replaces the standard set)                                 £140

Box details:

Box weight – 14.5kg

Length – 990mm
Width – 370mm
Depth – 195mm

The box weight is well over double that of even Sphinx. The box dimensions are those for the shipping sleeve. I wanted to keep the length under 1 metre, as I know some postage rates go up a lot past this point.

logo.jpg

Excellent, it is finally here 🙂

Just a question, would it be "easy" to design a non razee version also similar to what you did with Speedy - Flirt and extend your product range. Or would that be like a completely new project? 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

11 hours ago, Vane said:

Excellent, it is finally here 🙂

Just a question, would it be "easy" to design a non razee version also similar to what you did with Speedy - Flirt and extend your product range. Or would that be like a completely new project? 

Not easy, but I did make sure I took the lines of the 2 decker in the initial designs for Indy. (well, I had to, as the razee lines show just the profile...). However these 'raw' bulkhead lines are not 'tweaked' to ensure a perfect run of the planks, which is a very big job in itself.

2 hours ago, Seb Martingale said:

Hi Chris,

Is “Indy” going to carry Royal Yards, that would be a magnificent sight!

As Royal Yards were rigged 'Flying', they will not be shown on the model with no sails, but there is nothing stopping you adding them!

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

Great job James, the figure will look impressive at the head of Indy.

Just curious, does the figure have a historical association with Indefatigable, I seem to recall a similar figure on Agamemnon, a sister Ardent class vessel, obviously representing the Greek king.

I suppose the figure could represent Achilles, he was pretty indefatigable, but perhaps not as pretty as Brad Pitt.

B.E.

I decided to go for a Spartan, the figurehead is in fact an altered drawing from the French 74 Spartiate. I figured a Spartan warrior would be the very definition of indefatigable.

logo.jpg

It's amazing how much detail Chris can design into his 3D prints!

PittFHead.thumb.jpg.71353c093c4cb14870ff87bdebc1563f.jpg

....look'n at you @Blue Ensign ...& @chris watton & @dvm27@BenD& @mugje

Edited by hollowneck
added text

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Well done on the HMS Indefatigable, outstanding work. I guess that I'll really have to save to get this ship. Because of your great work on all of these ships, how about the USS Constitution in 1/64 scale, backdated to 1797 to 1803 time period? Only a suggestion. Keep up the great work. Merry Christmas!   Glenn

James, that is very nice job you got done there.

My best and Happiest Holiday wishes to you and wife.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 12/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, James H said:

I'll do a proper update in a few days, showing coppering, but until then, here's a photo showing the work so far. 

Coppering is a fairly quick process, thankfully, and fairly therapeutic. 

IMG_0771.jpg

Indy is really looking great!

On 12/17/2022 at 9:05 PM, chris watton said:

Not easy, but I did make sure I took the lines of the 2 decker in the initial designs for Indy. (well, I had to, as the razee lines show just the profile...). However these 'raw' bulkhead lines are not 'tweaked' to ensure a perfect run of the planks, which is a very big job in itself.

As Royal Yards were rigged 'Flying', they will not be shown on the model with no sails, but there is nothing stopping you adding them!

I have read that English frigates were supplied with three lengths of top gallant masts to enable the setting of Royal yards.

To do this would mean fitting longer topgallant masts than in the kit? Is this correct?

On 12/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, Seb Martingale said:

I have read that English frigates were supplied with three lengths of top gallant masts to enable the setting of Royal yards.

To do this would mean fitting longer topgallant masts than in the kit? Is this correct?

I have had a few drinks tonight, so cannot say definitively, but you're probably right. If that is the case, there will be enough dowel to make a slightly longer topgallant. But the kit will show the standard yard config.

Edited by chris watton
Drunk at time of writing...

logo.jpg