HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

23 hours ago, James H said:

I have already sanded my fingertips off, twice. You never saw the bloodied sandpaper. 

Annoying as my Mac is fingerprint activated and I've had to scan my pinkie to make it work.

Keep that pinky finger away from sandpaper or your MAC will remain locked forever!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 5/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, Vane said:

I know that some people prefer the supersteady plywood construction but once I started to figure out the MDF construction on my Speedy I was hooked on this. Everything gets directly in the right position, no measuring and fitting etc. Its like building Lego. And the best thing of it all, sanding is like melting butter. Later I started working on my Diana plywood hull (also Chris construction, but over 20 years ago) and it was a b*tch in comparison. Tweeking, measuring, bending and I dont think its completly straight. And because the bulkheads were so far apart sanding is really heavy and it even creates that kind of scratchnoise like Quints nails on the blackboard.... 

And from an enginering point of view, I just luv seeing all of the hundreds of MDF pieces going together and suddenly forms the Indy hull! 🙂 Keep it up, james!       

Hi Vane,

So true regarding Diana, I have just got to this stage and had three attempts adding wood to the ply frames before being reasonably happy and then drove the wife mad when sanding with the noise like drawing your finger nails down a chalk board, a bit like in the jaws film. 

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Indy was one big frigate, razee or not. Surprised it’s they’re that close in size. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

22 minutes ago, clearway said:

these were converted from first rates to combat the new yankee frigates (constituition didnt get the nickname old ironsides for nought)!

The later razee's were cut down old 74's, Indy is a cut down 64 of the Ardent Class, same class as Agamemnon. 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

44 minutes ago, clearway said:

these were converted from first rates to combat the new yankee frigates (constituition didnt get the nickname old ironsides for nought)!

Majestic, Saturn, Goliath (and more post-war razees) were old common 74s - ships of the third rate, reduced to a 4th rate frigate.
Indefatigable, Anson and Magnamine were from the Ardent and Intrepid classes - razee 64s, or the smallest of the third rate, reduced to a 4th rate frigate.

Also in the third rate were the middling and large 74s, and the 80 gun ships.

Second rates were the 90 and 98 gun ships (and from time to time, the rearmed 100 gunners, including Victory)

First rates were only those ships of 100 guns or over (in the period in which these ships were active) - Victory is not *quite* the smallest of these, but is fairly close to the smaller end, and is smaller than some of the third rate ships (similar to the French ships of the second rank) by tons and tonnage. Britannia is a bit smaller, and there are many later classes and captures - especially those of 120 guns which are considerably larger (as were the French and Spanish vessels of the first rank).

On 6/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, chris watton said:

This will be Indy's colour scheme, more or less

Indy.jpg

That's the color scheme I think we were all hoping for.

I think that's a Derek Gardner painting. He does really good stuff.  

Just had the first render of the 3-d file of the new figure for my approval. This is Pellew, Hornblower is being worked on now, so next week, I will have the two new figures and the Indy figurehead. This will eventually be looking out from the poop on Jim's model!

ETA - Pellew is modelled in a captain's outfit, as I will be developing Indy as she most likely appeared between 1795-98ish

I will most likely do a 48th and 96th version for this and Hornblower/tall skinny lieutenant... 

pellew3.jpg

pellew2.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

That's lovely. Well sculpted 1/64 crew figures are something I wish were much more available. Glad you are adding some. 

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

2 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

That's a clean cut figure Chris, nice sharp detailing even down to the buckles on his shoes.

Is he modelled on you?

B.E.

Not me, good Lord! Several Pellew portraits were used, and drawings of contemporary uniform to fill in the blanks.

logo.jpg

Very Nice indeed, he will look great looking over my shoulder whilst i build mine

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

The slot in the prow for the figurehead has since been moved back 2mm, so the figureheads sits much further into the prow.

What you see are first offs, the very first time these files have been printed, and using a new resin.

logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, James H said:

1:64 figures of both Pellew and Hornblower

Awsome! I guess there is no chance of getting Hornblowers followers Mathews and Styles? 

These are sharp and highly detailed figures, Even at this scale. I can just barely see the 3D printer marks.

1 minute ago, BenD said:

Awsome! I guess there is no chance of getting Hornblowers followers Mathews and Styles? 

These are sharp and highly detailed figures, Even at this scale. I can just barely see the 3D printer marks.

Future ones should look even better, as I have an 8k 3-d printer on pre order. I will do 48th and 96th versions at some point.

logo.jpg

Might not the figure be supported with two small resin pegs under his feet so he can stand without a stand? Or can the feet be cleanly removed from the base without damaging the figure?

Nice work!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

12 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

Which resin did you use?

'Siraya Tech Fast ABS-Like 3D Printer Resin' (Navy Grey)

1 minute ago, dvm27 said:

Might not the figure be supported with two small resin pegs under his feet so he can stand without a stand? Or can the feet be cleanly removed from the base without damaging the figure?

Nice work!

The base can be very easily cut or filed/sanded down.

logo.jpg

Very nice work Chris, the Hornblower figure looks  a great addition to the range.👍

I am still hoping you will take pity on us Sphinx builders and provide a suitable deck figure for scale comparison.

I would envisage a uniform of the 1774 issue -  back vented frock coat with turned back lapels  and cuffs, white breeches and waistcoat, topped with a Tri-corn hat.

There are excellent examples in the book Dressed to kill by Amy Miller, (published by the NMM) which covers the uniform development from 1748 - 1857. 

Hint, hint.

B.E.

I was doing some research today at the RMG (Greenwich, formerly the NMM) and came across this very nice aquatint engraving of the Indy in action. I'd typed in "Pellew" and got interesting results of the man but also the various ships he commanded. Enjoy...

Indy1784.jpg

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

33 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

the RMG (Greenwich, formerly the NMM)

What?? 'NMM' was a perfectly serviceable acronym. Now I have to unlearn that one and memorize a different one. 😜

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht