Zheng He's Treasure Fleet by Glen McGuire – FINISHED - 1/1000 - BOTTLE

Wow.. this is even beyond penquins.  Fantastic display.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Grant, Keith, and Mark for the kind words.  It's been an interesting journey going from my son's innocuous comment last May of, "Hey dad, you should do a junk ship in a bottle" to this!  

Much appreciation to all the talented MSW people that followed along the way and offered likes, encouragement, comments, and suggestions - @Landlubber Mike, @John Fox III, @Ian_Grant, @BANYAN,  @GrandpaPhil, @ccoyle, @Roger Pellett, @Snug Harbor Johnny, @Louie da fly, @Charter33, @Alva004, @Prowler901, @Knocklouder, @French Mr Bean, @Aoi, @shadowcaster, @Siggi52, @Baker, @Paul Le Wol, @Harvey Golden, @robdurant, @modeller_masa.

Not only do you make the final product better, you also add to the enjoyment of the work.     

Absolutely fantastic Glen, great job!!!  What a cool display!  Your skills in SIB building are amazing, only to be matched by your creativity and ingenuity.  Thanks for sharing with us!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Amazing finish!  Very cool display!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

What a delightful update to come home to Glen; I go away for a few days and then see this.  That is an outstanding presentation of a great build; impressive - you have set a high standard for your next build.  I have really enjoyed following this build mate.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 9/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, Louie da fly said:

Wonderful work, mate!

19 hours ago, BANYAN said:

I have really enjoyed following this build mate.

Thank you Steven and Pat.  It's great to have both of y'all from down under following along and providing your insight!!

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Glen, are you diving right into your next project or is a small break in order? 

Hey Keith - Literally minutes after posting the finished pics of Zheng He to the gallery I took off to southern California for a quick dirt bike riding trip.  Just got back last night.  So I guess that was a small break, right?

Actually, I've got an idea for the next SIB project but need to play around with some things to see if I think it will really work or if it's just a dumb idea.     

Greetings to all:

My vacations have been shorter than expected because they have advanced a medical test.

Glen, I am speechless before your creative capacity...totally transgressive for a classical mentality as is my case...but your finish and presentation is SPECTACULAR...in capital letters.

It has been a pleasure to follow you and learn other finishing approaches.

I take my hat off to your mastery.

All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this thread searching for something else, and got sucked into reading it top to bottom. Including the info about scurvy, castration, sea monsters and penguins 😁. Amazing work, and really entertaining. 

Could you please describe how you get the waves on the blue resin? Or point to a link where I can see? I have been thinking about using doming resin, not sure if it'd work though 

Current build 

HMB Endeavour SIB (Documenting on msw) slow going

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Generic 2 mast schooner SIB

Wyoming 6 mast schooner SIB (Documented on msw) 

Pirate ship from Asterix and the Great Crossing SIB (Documented on msw)

Shelfed for now

Ineos Britannia SIB (Documenting on msw)

• 3 months later...

@O.B.one 

Hey O.B. one, I apologize for the late response.  I just noticed your comment and question.  Thanks for the kind words on the project.

To answer your question about the waves, it's a 2-step process,  First, I pour the resin in the bottle and let it dry.  I will set the bottle aside with a small desk fan in front to speed up the drying process and try to prevent any fogging of the bottle.  Even with the fan it can takes several days for the resin to fully harden depending on how thick it is.

Once the resin is dry, I use acrylic paint mixed with gel gloss medium for the actual waves.  Once I get the color of the paint to match the resin, I take a long Q-tip and dab it on top of the resin, then swirl it around a bit.  Once dry the acrylic paint is dry, I'll hit the top edges of the waves with just a touch of white paint.  If you go to my Independence build log ( Independence) and look at post 131/132 you can see a couple of better pics of the water than you see on this log.

I know there are a lot of methods for making water and waves inside the bottle but this method has worked well for me.  I like the look of the resin/acrylic paint better than the clay or putty water you often see.

Again, I'm really sorry I did not see this sooner.  Hope this info helps.

20230116_131734.jpg