IDF Sho't Kal "Gimel" Tank by CDW - FINISHED - Amusing Hobby - 1:35 Scale

CDW

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Pardon me if this got mentioned already, but for those who may not know, "Gimel" isn't a nickname but rather the third letter of the Hebrew alphabet. So, Sho't is "whip" in Hebrew, Kal indicates that it is powered by a Continental diesel engine, and Gimel indicates that it is the third variant after Aleph and Bet.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Just now, ccoyle said:

Pardon me if this got mentioned already, but for those who may not know, "Gimel" isn't a nickname but rather the third letter of the Hebrew alphabet. So, Sho't is "whip" in Hebrew, Kal indicates that it is powered by a Continental diesel engine, and Gimel indicates that it is the third variant after Aleph and Bet.

Great info, thanks Chris.

This third variant is/was a 2nd generation main battle tank. Meaning that it had a stabilized gun (could accurately be fired while moving), night vision, and ERA (reactive) armor.

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Testing some different lighting for photos. Want to see how they appear once uploaded.

Eye Candy is always welcome brother, testing or not...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Loving those  shades  coming through  from the modulations,   with the barrel  could you not apply some gentle heat  to  bend it straight?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Isn't that for shooting around corners?😇

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Since the spare wheel at the front has it's rubber "tire", I'd assume it was bolted down.  Interesting place though to put the spare.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Probably better there than bolted onto the bow plate. Could be a weak spot in their armor. Just sayin'.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Now this is me just thinking out loud...there is no way the road wheel is mounted in any fashion on the battering ram as "a spare road wheel". it just doesn't make any sense to me given the fact a battering ram is meant to batter. The road wheel will get battered, too. I believe in a true combat situation where the battering ram was in use, the road wheel would be one that was probably already battered and not worthy as a spare and would provide some value as a battering tool.  

PS: I have not found a photo of an IDF Centurian (Sho't) carrying a spare road wheel. Don't think they carried spare road wheels. This further gives me the impression the road wheel on the battering ram if definitely not intended as a spare. However, I could be wrong. 😄

Edited by CDW

3 hours ago, CDW said:

The Uzi's and 30 cal's are for shooting around corners.

Showing me that I'm not thinking it  through again. Told you that I didn't know anything about tanks!🤪

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Since the spare wheel at the front has it's rubber "tire", I'd assume it was bolted down.  Interesting place though to put the spare.

Our 2004 Sienna had the spare suspended under the vehicle which struck me as a stupid way to handle it, in road-salted Canada. Apparently there was a crank hidden somewhere under the carpeting near the 2nd row seats, which when turned lowered a "cage" holding the wheel, to the road. Luckily never needed to use it. Colour me surprised, there were two recalls over the years to replace the chain that held the wheel up off the road due to rust causing wheels to fall out.

A while ago, I mentioned to my wife that we should get it checked out again, but she replied, "Oh, there's no wheel there any more", which was news to me. Apparently, she was coming home on the 401 from a trip a few years previously, and when she pulled out of her parking spot at a highway rest stop the wheel was lying there. So she just continued on her way and never thought to mention it!! 😆 😆

My Chevy Tahoe's spare was under the cargo compartment and had a crank inserted thru the rear bumper to lower it. I blew a tire on the Jersey Turnpike and pulled over to change it. I could not get the darn thing lowered. Turnpike road crew got me up and running. I turned the Tahoe over to my mechanic and it took him a while to get the thing working. Dumb location for the spare for any vehicle in northern climes, but the cargo box was nice sized with no spare in the way.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

After reading response about the front mounted road wheel and thinking about it, I remembered something from days as a tech writer.   What the designer and manuals intended is often ignored, repurposed, or modified by the lads in the field due to operational issues.   This could very well be one of them.  The factory and army contractors mounted it there for what they thought was good.  Troops... just left there and really never used it.  

I do like this model.  Very detailed and very busy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just now, king derelict said:

A beautiful model. A wonderful job and thoroughly excellent photos

Alan

Just now, mtaylor said:

After reading response about the front mounted road wheel and thinking about it, I remembered something from days as a tech writer.   What the designer and manuals intended is often ignored, repurposed, or modified by the lads in the field due to operational issues.   This could very well be one of them.  The factory and army contractors mounted it there for what they thought was good.  Troops... just left there and really never used it.  

I do like this model.  Very detailed and very busy.

Thanks gentlemen. This is a recommended company, Amusing Hobby. It's been a very enjoyable build, well detailed, excellent fit, modern and up to date tooling.

Very Very well done... Looks like it drove right in off the Sinai desert...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 hours ago, CDW said:

modern and up to date tooling.

I think it is more the modeler than the model. Congratulations 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I may add some streaking/staining on the side skirts, some small amounts of paint chipping overall, a few more detail painting areas such as the Uzi's, head and tail lamps, then give the overall model a flat clear coat and call this one done.

Being as it is, I am about ready to move on to the next little project. Considering either something with wings or perhaps a "barn-find" for the next project. The barn find theme would allow for some interesting weathering experiments.

Like I said straight of the Sinai peninsula and into your shrinkage machine for your shelf...

Another gift from the master armorer....

Thanks my friend...

Quote: