Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Not much to show for this past week. I finished the wing fairings. These are always hard to get "just right," and these aren't the best I have ever done.

bf35.thumb.jpg.db4e0ae867bc83b830e4eed837ef8d5b.jpg

And an additional ventral scoop and some miscellaneous blisters.

bf36.thumb.jpg.736cb7dcec981aa29590243a197768f7.jpg

Right now I am in the process of assembling the exhaust stubs. Fun. 🙄

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Would using plastic and resin aftermarket parts be doable or is that just not done by the card modeling fraternity? Just curious, as in my primary area, any part, no matter the source, is acceptable. Just depends on what you're willing to spend.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

57 minutes ago, Canute said:

Would using plastic and resin aftermarket parts be doable or is that just not done by the card modeling fraternity?

They might be, but one of the biggest appeals of card models is their low cost, and after-market parts are not cheap.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Would using plastic and resin aftermarket parts be doable or is that just not done by the card modeling fraternity?

In my experience reading and talking with some of the builders on some of the european card modeling fora, the general consensus is like we are, build the best model you can, primarily in paper products, but there are those that if the parts are not all paper, or technically, cellulose based, then it isn't truly a card model.... 

Like all hobbies, they do have their absolutists....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 hours ago, CDW said:

Do you dampen parts like the wing fillets to shape them?

I did, it is also where a dapping set comes in handy when you need to pre-form a multi curved part....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

6 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Right now I am in the process of assembling the exhaust stubs. Fun.

Chris, that has those individual stubs doesn't it? lots of repetitive fuuuunnn....  (but I have faith) that was something I couldn't master, repetitive rolling of tubes in the same size.... and I could never find a way to pattern the process...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

Chris, that has those individual stubs doesn't it?

Yes, and each one consists of two parts, so yeah, making them both neat and uniform is another task I have yet to master.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Your doing a fine job Chris  - creating a fine 3d model  out of what is  just a  flat  medium  is amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Half of the exhaust stubs and their shroud are now finished. The stubs are oval at the inboard end and taper to rectangular at the outboard end. I used a piece of shaped dowel to form the inboard end; the joint between the two sections of pipe ended up being pretty much invisible. Sometime in the near future, I will have to repeat this process for the starboard side.

bf37.thumb.jpg.f4ab2cb01be88f4d5be9f29cd52c5ff8.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

24 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Half of the exhaust stubs and their shroud are now finished. The stubs are oval at the inboard end and taper to rectangular at the outboard end. I used a piece of shaped dowel to form the inboard end; the joint between the two sections of pipe ended up being pretty much invisible. Sometime in the near future, I will have to repeat this process.for the starboard side.

bf37.thumb.jpg.f4ab2cb01be88f4d5be9f29cd52c5ff8.jpg

That’s some tricky work but it came out great Chris. Wish I could watch you fo some of this work. Ever thought about doing a Video of your work in progress? Sure would be great to see.

That is some very fine  work there Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I just now noticed that there are only five pipes visible in the picture -- what the heck?? Looks like I have another 'issue' to fix when I get home. 🤨

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

All fixed now. Sorry, you have to imagine the picture. 😉

Looks good to me    - but think you left the lens  cover on when you took the pic........lol.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just a note of interest.

About 3 years ago I owned and ran a small business in Melbourne Australia.

A regular customer who I had known for some 10 years came in to buy some goods.

I knew he was a pilot and that he had given up flying because of his age and the authorities revoked his licence.

During the discussion I asked him what was his favorite plane.

I was somewhat surprised when he replied Messerschmitt 109.

I had a few discussions with him after this and was in total admiration him.

Imagine being taken off the streets of Berlin at the age of 15, given 2 weeks training, and sent off to war.

He also flew the first Jets too. (363)?

I have now lost contact with him but have good memories of his stories.

Love the model by the way. Keep up the good work.

Regards

Allan

Models finished:  Too many to list.

Current build. Danmark (kit bash)

Interesting, Allan. We had a German national at Bitburg AB, Germany, who did the interpretation of the German flight rules. They were in English, but sometimes you need to get the correct spin in things. Anyway, he had a similar tale about minimal training and flying an Me-109 at the end of the war. He was shot down and wounded to the degree he couldn't fly any more. But a great guy to talk with. And that jet was an Me-262. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Okay, got the other side done -- with the proper number of pipes on the first try, too!

bf38.thumb.jpg.78b508344af8bec95545c59f30d9b8b0.jpg

14 minutes ago, CDW said:

Do you have an opinion on the quality and fit of Orlik or Answer card models? I've run across a couple I am interested in on Ebay. One is from the vendor you wrote about. The other is a vendor in Poland.

Craig, I have built two kits from Orlik and have two more in the stash. The two I have built were both designed by Lukasz Fuczek. They weren't the easiest builds, but they both turned out okay. I have three kits from Answer, two designed by Krzysztof Fiolek (one completed) and one by Lukasz Fuczek (wound up on the Island of Misfit Models). So, the quality of the model kind of depends on the designer. Generally, the print quality on all of them has been good to very good, but diagrams not always the best. Answer has published a couple of models recently that I would very much like to get my hands on (Hawker Nimrod and Nieuport 28), but the shipping from the only Polish company that has both of them and their laser-cut frames is really a tough pill to swallow these days. Which models are you interested in?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just now, ccoyle said:

Craig, I have built two kits from Orlik and have two more in the stash. The two I have built were both designed by Lukasz Fuczek. They weren't the easiest builds, but they both turned out okay. I have three kits from Answer, two designed by Krzysztof Fiolek (one completed) and one by Lukasz Fuczek (wound up on the Island of Misfit Models). So, the quality of the model kind of depends on the designer. Generally, the print quality on all of them has been good to very good, but diagrams not always the best. Answer has published a couple of models recently that I would very much like to get my hands on (Hawker Nimrod and Nieuport 28), but the shipping from the only Polish company that has both of them and their laser-cut frames is really a tough pill to swallow these days. Which models are you interested in?

This one: Paper Card Model - Nakajima Type KO 3 - by Answer | eBay

and this one: Italian Fighter Ansaldo A.1 Balilla # ORLIK Card Model # Scale 1/33 # OR 707 | eBay

I'm not personally familiar with either of those kits, but the Ko-3 was a license-built Nieuport 11, so take a look at my build log for that one and imagine it in Japanese markings. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco