Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD

Hmm.... maybe it's my eyes... but I count 5 pipes on the starboard side.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

The first pipe is under the front shroud.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I guess I need new glasses.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Getting the nose done . . .

The air filter (port) and a small scoop (starboard) finish off the last of the lumpy bumpy features.

bf39.thumb.jpg.6c69e6f253b0fec5e65bdaf099aa1991.jpg

To mix things up a bit, I decided to build the propeller. Here are some of the parts and sub-assemblies.

bf40.thumb.jpg.df74403e9f0ff7b2074ec8f773ea8935.jpg

And the finished propeller dry-fitted to the fuselage.

bf41.thumb.jpg.1768cf3f2644986911a25b2609510c13.jpg

Basically we are now down to the wing control surfaces, landing gear, canopy, and a few odds and ends.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Next we move on to the canopy. I do things a little differently than called for in the diagrams. First, I tend to not use the internal framing, for a couple of reasons. The 'glass' of the molded canopy is not the correct scale thickness, and adding two layers of framing seems to make that fact more noticeable, at least to my eye. Also, I find it nearly impossible to get the internal and external frames to align correctly. To disguise the fact that I'm only using the outer layer, I paint the back of the frames with the correct internal color; when seen through the canopy, it is difficult to see that the internal frames are not used. Second, the canopy framing comes in three pieces. I find it much, much easier to work with the parts after cutting the framing into smaller sections -- seven in this instance.

The framing is glued with canopy glue. I'm getting better at this process, but I still had a few minor smears to clean up.

Here is the canopy with its framing:

bf42.thumb.jpg.c821e0e46e105e03f217e506f2a7edc2.jpg

I did not notice until AFTER I had completed this work that I had got the main left- and right-side panels swapped. 😬 There is a very slight difference between them, which hopefully will not create a fit issue later.

The canopy glue requires 24 hours to fully set, and I will give it the full cure time before cutting the canopy free of the surrounding plastic, otherwise the bending and flexing that inevitable occurs during that task tends to work the frames loose. Oh, almost forgot to mention that I plan to complete this model with the canopy closed, not because I wish to hide the cockpit detail, but because of the 109's odd distinction of having a hinged canopy that swings open to one side instead of sliding back on rails. Displaying the canopy open would inevitably create a part that just begs to get knocked loose.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Okay, as you can see in this photo, I had to abandon the plan to install the canopy as a single piece -- it just wouldn't fit properly. Instead, I had to cut the canopy into five pieces and juggle them around a bit. One of the reasons I like biplanes is the general lack of canopies on them!

bf44.thumb.jpg.3fd55125ddfcea6c122884f676292d1b.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

7 minutes ago, CDW said:

By the way, I received that Japanese Nieuport we discussed.

Great! I'd be interested to see pictures of that kit when it arrives. The only photos I've seen of the printed parts were taken it what appeared to be poor lighting.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the two Answer kits I spoke of earlier, the Nimrod and the Nieuport 28 -- they're both incredibly nice-looking biplanes -- I couldn't resist (don't tell the missus)! I also added a Stearman PT-17 Kaydet to the order and laser-cut frames for all three kits, plus resin wheels for the Nimrod and some frames for a Fiat G.50 Freccia I have in the stash (the desert camo on that kit matches the livery of my CR.42 Falco).

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Is there a “go-to” glue for paper models?

Not really. These days I'm using mainly Evergreen Canopy Glue, but I have used lots of others over the years. I still use CA (thin & medium), Aleen's Clear Tacky Glue, and contact cement for various tasks.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Landing gear under construction.

First are the main wheels -- 20 parts each.

bf46.jpg.afc698745decf87836d1862c01ec8d2e.jpg

Wheels mounted to struts and gear doors.

bf47.thumb.jpg.639c47a0b25119738416422ce687d1e9.jpg

And finally main gear mounted to fuselage.

bf48.thumb.jpg.1e38e42ed76557a2bff3a6582b5053e6.jpg

My goal is to finish this by the 4th, to make it an even two months since the start of construction.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The Big Reveal!

So, one day shy of two months from the beginning of construction on this project (though it felt like longer), the Bf-109E-4 is complete. The final bits of construction consisted of small parts that needed to wait until the final stage in order to avoid getting knocked off repeatedly: tail wheel, antenna masts, gun barrels, aileron counterweights, pitot tube, and canopy. All in all, a challenging project without too many issues, though I did find some post facto construction errors and did wind up with a few tiny "mystery parts" left over. Enjoy the pictures!

bf49.thumb.jpg.69ecf45ec8f1689205485b3a843caab7.jpg

bf50.thumb.jpg.84acb5ab45409b372772b78b02dca37f.jpg

bf51.thumb.jpg.6cea55a47b68bdbf26483b0a0f29385c.jpg

bf52.thumb.jpg.cdd46a013542a2c881e8d95020149617.jpg

bf53.thumb.jpg.1c84ee05f6826fd7370073cc5155b87f.jpg

bf54.thumb.jpg.b35707420016ecb4de5b51e39121196b.jpg

bf55.thumb.jpg.99d57f75b47b32124a79844c188aec3a.jpg

bf56.thumb.jpg.93f0ec6e27be251e11b76e8ebe587789.jpg

bf57.thumb.jpg.345f57b8d6b9b3015e5cb35f6f2f74c8.jpg

bf58.thumb.jpg.7a642291aba839d6f2d0b129ad0ed3b4.jpg

bf59.thumb.jpg.bbf70006fce5295f4c71662539db8905.jpg

bf60.thumb.jpg.3ab061072ff746e98304c96d1d488c87.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Gorgeous, cool Emil. Masterfully done.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Same as everyone   -  can't believe it made from paper.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I have never seen a paper kit like that.  Impressive to say the least.  Well done Chris!

Superb build. Knocks your socks off.!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

An amazing result.  Who knew paper would be so good for this.   That is one impressive bird.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wonderful build brother, another masterpiece...

It's absolutely amazing what can be done with paper.... 

I'm impressed....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

😲😲.....

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Another stunner from you Chris - great job!  Beautiful work on a really sweet plane.  I particularly love those with the yellow noses.

Do these kits come with the clear parts for the canopy, or do you have to make them yourself?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Do these kits come with the clear parts for the canopy, or do you have to make them yourself?

The kits come with templates for cutting the glazing from the modeler's choice of material. In this instance, I used a molded after-market canopy. Such canopies are usually kit-specific, meaning that a canopy for one kit may not fit a kit from another publisher, even if it's the same subject. However, in my experience, even the fit with the intended kit (i.e. a Halinski canopy with a Halinski kit) can be problematic and depends greatly on the skill of the builder in getting the cockpit dimensions just right; get the dimensions off a millimeter here and there and all sorts of fit trouble follows. I have had to 'fudge' the fits on more than one molded canopy.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

9 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Another Masterclass Chris!

More like a "journeyman class," but I appreciate the accolade! I think one of the biggest take-aways from this build for me personally is that I now feel less intimidated by Halinski kits, having completed three of them. I have to qualify that statement with the observation that Halinski kits tended to get even more complex after the 2007 publication date of this kit. Some of the newer ones that I have in my stash (e.g. Fw-190D-9, Ki-61) make this one look rather tame. And Card Army, whose chief artist, Marcin Dworzecki, did the artwork on many of the Halinski kits, has ratcheted up the detail on card kits to an even higher degree, if you can believe it. When I look at the Card Army kits and coolly assess my skills against what would be required to build one of them, I have to realistically conclude that they are really only suitable for a very tiny minority of modelers.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco