Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD

28 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

someone Knit a  plane/tank  or ship

Google "knitted military tank" and you'll find quite a few creative results, like this:

il_570xN.268774333.jpg

Very cool model so far. I haven't really dabbled in the non-ship parts of MSW before but this is too interesting to let go.

11 hours ago, Keith Black said:

I want to step in here and defend knitters as I don't think there's anything "easy" about knitting.

For one, there's hundreds of different types of knitting needles (of course my wife requires at least one if not two of each) two, there are at least a hundred different types of knitting stitches, and three, there's all the different types of yarns and their respective weights that go hand and hand with those hundreds of different needles. The real kicker is being able to visualize making a three dimensional object out of a single strand of yarn from one of the countless patterns that if placed end to end would stretch from here to the moon. :)

Sounds similar to scratchbuilding a wooden ship.  Tons of tools and wood choices.  Hundreds of plans.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to hijack the knitting thread (see what I did there?), but it's time for a modeling update. I haven't been idle these past few days -- it's just that I have been dealing with the typically insane parts count of even a 'simpler' Halinski kit. The horizontal stabilizers, elevators, struts, and rudder linkages consisted of 51 parts. Whew!!

bf27.thumb.jpg.2c8e7e78c9bd6f9baaffc0e92117062f.jpg

Because the vertical stabilizer is crooked, as reported earlier, the horizontal stabilizers are also slightly crooked, but not badly so -- just gonna have to live with it. BTW, the total surface area of the 109's horizontal tail surfaces is lilliputian compared to that of the F6F -- the area of the 109's two stabilizers together might equal that of just one on the Hellcat.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Looking at the photos would never notice they were crooked.  That's incredible parts count....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

More like Grumman built them big and beefy. They were called the Iron Works, remember. And Grumman's neighbor out on Long Island, Republic, wasn't much different. Look at the size of the P-47 Thunderbolt aka the Jug. May have been the heaviest single engine fighter we built in WW II.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Canute said:

More like Grumman built them big and beefy. They were called the Iron Works, remember. And Grumman's neighbor out on Long Island, Republic, wasn't much different. Look at the size of the P-47 Thunderbolt aka the Jug. May have been the heaviest single engine fighter we built in WW II.

That is very true, I have 1/24 P47 (Razorback) a Hellcat and the 109 on my shelf, the 109 almost looks as though it’s a different scale model in between those two beasts! 
Outstanding work again Chris! 👏

Chris,

You mentioned a while back that you use a spray sealant on all of your card models prior to cutting.  What spray sealant are you using and where do you get it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Phil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

3 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

What spray sealant are you using and where do you get it?

Krylon matte clear from the hardware store, although I ran out on this kit and had to get some off-brand from the hobby store that I haven't tried yet.

Today I added the wheel wells, which is the last step before skinning the wings.

bf29.thumb.jpg.c5d2d40038990ed50a00ed9d9e5eb420.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Wing skins done. Now I can test fit the wing to the fuselage and twirl it about my head while I make airplane noises.

What? You tellin' me you don't do exactly the same thing? 😆

bf30.thumb.jpg.60ae84dbb36101e3c32c5d5968a0158d.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Oh yeah. Except when I have at least the basic airplane complete I’m flying it making coordinated turns along with sounds. 👍😁

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Kind of tough to see the ball in the race for those, eh? I just make jet whooshing sounds, while doing aileron rolls. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I suspect we all do that.  The bird I did, it was choice... either the jet engines or the "whop, whop" sound of the rotor blades.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well, now it's on to the wing-mounted radiators. These have an insane number of parts. My recent Spitfire Vb had only one such radiator, but the Bf-109E has two -- great. I got the first parts in (parts 54) and then got completely stumped about how the next parts (54a and 54b) are supposed to go in -- they don't match the existing contours at all. I'm going to have to study some build logs.

bf31.thumb.jpg.20dba1d9d94ff52a5d339386db5b9bf1.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

56 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I got the first parts in (parts 54) and then got completely stumped about how the next parts (54a and 54b) are supposed to go in

The leading edges of 54a&b are the edges with the slight curve to them, they match the leading edge curves of the outer radiator covers 54i L&P... The leading edge of the Radiator cover is the end that matches from side to side... The P & L designations on the parts must stand for port and starboard...

It's the only way they make sense to me brother...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

9 hours ago, Egilman said:

The leading edges of 54a&b are the edges with the slight curve to them, they match the leading edge curves of the outer radiator covers 54i L&P...

Yes, but the problem is that's not where the diagram says they're supposed to go.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

It looks like it builds out into this radiator:

6C3FBE0F-F638-421E-A425-9E0CA7FBEF79.jpeg.97d828345a7bf713d75c025b07225168.jpeg
54a looks like a reinforcing piece for the outboard side of the radiator and 54b looks like a reinforcing piece for the inboard side of the radiator.

My mark-up skills are awful, but this is what it looks like to me:

4E5B6B30-7B9D-4630-A093-3142BA17DA29.jpeg.a4d34d8d92023dea4189c6592804386e.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Yes, but the problem is that's not where the diagram says they're supposed to go.

Yeah sometimes the technical drawing side doesn't match up with what they design for parts....

I found this on the net posted to the Superhobby.com website...

7638_2_HAL-KA-2-2009_7.thumb.jpg.12cdc9d89ecb55d9b78f577b578e30a5.jpg

In the lower left corner the parts are the same... (this is the Haliński KA-2-2009 Bf 109-E7)

This image.. (upper right side) shows how they claim it is supposed to go together....

7638_2_HAL-KA-2-2009_8.thumb.jpg.dc0c3b633f7ba9ff735449ea1ef0c43a.jpg

Clearly showing an aft view...

I don't know if that helps, but as far as the Wing Radiators they appear to be the same....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

It's the same diagram, and it appears to offer the same conundrum. Part 54a is clearly intended to sit inside the wing well for the radiator, but it won't fit there -- not even close. Like I said, I will research this and find the answer.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I would say brother the image they provided has them glued as reinforcements or spacers to the outside portion of the radiator bay walls that fits inside the well, of course this isn't going to work... it narrows the space too much... I would submit that the 54A&B glue to the upper half of the of the bay walls on the outside of the wing, reversed from the picture, it gives a gluing edge for 54 H&G which is the vertical airfoil shape of the radiator cover sides... The actuators for the radiator door would then fit inside the well sides and the door fit over that... The radiator cover would then be shaped to the bay sides and 54 H&G...

Looks to be the only way the parts will fit together in the space... Note on the image they show no references to 54 H&G... But they have to have a purpose and that is the only way they fit in the construction scheme... They lay along the wing surface to provide a shape for the outer cover.... and the only way they are going to do that is to glue along the radiator well insides... 

Definitely a mistake on the kit designers part....

I'm sure there is someone out there who has illustrated the issue and shown the correct way to assemble and mount it....

Quote:

If you don’t mind my interjecting, it looks like in the diagram EG posted, pieces 54 a and b have switched labels with 54 c and d (as shown in Chris’ photo). 54c and d sit inside the wing cutout and a and b glued to the outside to provide support for the protruding part of the cowling. I suspect the printed side of 54c and d faces the inside of the radiator cowling. If that makes any sense.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I think they go somewhere  under the wings.....

I'll  get my coat.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

All will be revealed in its time. 😉

Brother, you approach this kind of problem the same way I do, it's what build logs are created for... I'm sure and have full faith that you will find the right way and tell us all how to correct it...

It's what great modelers do...

Thank you....

Quote:

So, I solved the riddle of the radiators. As far as I could tell, the parts in question earlier were simply shown in the wrong places in the diagrams. I assembled them in the order that seemed to make the best sense and ended up with structures that look like radiators.

bf32.thumb.jpg.32b364344a560fd0bfe7fb3d1adabcdf.jpg

IMO, Halinski kind of went overboard on engineering the radiators (surprise, right?), but whatever -- they're done now.

Which means (trumpet fanfare) that it was time to mate the wing and fuselage assemblies (after adding gun blisters, of course), so here they are:

bf33.thumb.jpg.97660472d50dd047b28cc4574e24a3d7.jpg

bf34.thumb.jpg.b93fbec5a66f4538dc9ddcf4f4083766.jpg

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looks good from here my friend....

Quote: