Sloop Speedwell 1752 by Chuck - Ketch Rigged Sloop - POF - prototype build

I had the opportunity to visit Chuck last week. Photographs are always nice to look at, but being there is always better. At least when it comes to Chuck's Speedwell. He is using an advanced coloring technique to better mimic that of the contemporary model. The model has a subtle look to it where all the parts look proportional to one another and finely done. For example, the moulding that runs through the quarter badge is only 1/32' deep and the badges themselves are quite thin. I think it looks great!

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I always love getting to see Chucks work in person. As it really allows you to see how precise it truly is.

Just a bit envious though. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I worked on Speedwell.  But I managed to steal some time to get some minor progress done.

The next step was to permanently add the stern lights.  I glued the laser cut stern lights together as shown.  There is a little top portion that is glued on top of the larger laser cut stern lights.

In addition, there are three laser cut cedar inboard pieces shown on the top of this image.   The aft side is painted black/Gray where the stern lights are false.  Meaning they wont be windows you can see through.

sternlights.jpg

It may be difficult to tell but the stern lights are placed in the appropriate openings from the inboard side first.

Then some laser cut acetate used to simulate the window glass is placed in the same openings from the inboard side.

Lastly the painted laser cut pieces are placed on top as the final layer with the painted gray portion facing outboard.

qbadge1.jpg

With these glued into position I will be able to plank the inboard side of the hull next but only the two strakes along the sheer.  

Instead of doing that however I decided to add the sweep port hinges and horse shoe plates to the outboard side of the hull.  This can be done whenever you like really but I figured why not do it now that I am in the mood to see the hull with some details.

The sweep port hinges are available as a laser cut min kit.   I have several sizes but these are the "large" hinges I have developed.  One package is enough for Speedwell.

sweepports1.jpg

sweepports2.jpg

sweepports.jpg

Such a joy to see your updates! The stern lights are fantastic.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The perfection shows in many ways. One is how perfectly those ‘tree nails’ are lined up so precisely, that alone is amazing. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you guys.  Hopefully will have more updates soon.  Currently I am down in Annapolis MD for the Admiralty Modes Carvings workshop.  It is so much fun.  

Chuck

Everyone is quietly and carefully micro carving!!!! Admiralty carving workshop 2023.

so much fun…

IMG_1114.jpegIMG_1113.jpeg

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1110.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1115.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

Looks like you are starting with a laser cut piece and carving from there? 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Have a lot of fun during the workshop. I hope you will share thr result also with us.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

4 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Looks like you are starting with a laser cut piece and carving from there? 

Yes indeed.  We started with relief carving and the initial pieces were all laser cut blanks.  

Then we moved onto some gun port wreaths.  A lovely time.  

51 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Yes indeed.  We started with relief carving and the initial pieces were all laser cut blanks.  

Then we moved onto some gun port wreaths.  A lovely time.  

Brilliant idea! Looking forward to seeing how they all turn out.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

That looks like a very educational workshop and indeed a lot of fun!

Who is you on the pictures Chuck?
I have never met you in person yet, so I won't recognize our own master teacher and instructor I'm afraid... LOL...

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I dont think Im in any of those pictures.  I was taking them.

I will look through them all and post one.

Chuck

The Hawaiian shirt is just too cool. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

dont think Im in any of those pictures.  I was taking them.

Whaat! Your not into selfies?😁

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Good Evening Chuck;

A very impressively executed model. The sweep of the timbers inside the hull when the top template was removed is so smooth and regular that I can't believe it will need much sanding. I can see that you are a very creative and inventive thinker, devising workable and effective aids to assist each step of the construction; and I congratulate you on another very effective and realistic model to add to your already impressive repertoire. 

I look forward to seeing her completed, and wish you the success you so rightly deserve.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you for saying…LOL

busy working away on Speedwell and testing some molding and frieze concepts.  Literally playing in the shop and taking pics with my phone so the photo quality is iffy.

IMG_1202.jpeg

Your build of Speedwell  is looking very good Chuck, I continue to be amazed (and jealous) with your skills in doing such clean joinery. 

I hope you don't me commenting with an unsolicited suggestion.  I have had success with, and like, your 'paper' friezes that you have provided me in the past and they looked good when applied.  If you are experimenting, have you thought about trying to find someone that prints 'embossed' card/paper?  If the costs are acceptable, that may be an option for you that offers some 'relief' to the printed friezes.  I have never had the need to have this done, but I have thought about using a business card printing service who offers embossed/raised lettering services. I considered this technique for the basic 'gingerbread' on the bows of the Victoria.  However, as the detail was minimal, we ended up using cotton threads pasted to the headboards. 

Offered for your thoughts/comments only as it may also prove unpractical, and you may already have completed your experimenting.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thankyou for saying.  That is an interesting idea.  I am quite happy with the printed friezes.  But i do wonder what that would look like.  I will certainly give that some thought.

chuck

She’s looking really good Chuck. The framing turned out wonderful. When do you begin work on the decks?

Ok some better pictures now that the starboard side is finished.   

On 10/18/2023 at 8:07 AM, scrubbyj427 said:

When do you begin work on the decks?

When I finish the molding and friezes on the port side chapter 3 will be completed.   Chapter 4 will entail finishing the stern outboard to a certain point.  The carvings and moldings etc...along with the rudder.

Once that is all done I will start on the interior platforms and fittings.   That will be chapter 5.

frieze on.jpg

Now I have decided to go in a decidedly different direction with the friezes.  I was unexpectedly inspired while down in Annapolis.   Seeing the Rogers collection always does that for me.  I was inspired by a few contemporary models for ships of the same size which actually had very dark blue or almost a black/brown field for the friezes.  Yes I still like the tradition friezes you always see on models of the period which have a lighter blue field.  But I have done that so many times it has grown tired for me.

frieze on1.jpg

So I developed yet another frieze choice with a darker field.  This was frieze on my model is actually developed from photos I took of the contemporary model in the Rogers collection...brought into photoshop and repurposed for Speedwell. Placing them both on the model...the more traditional blue and this newer inspired design, I decided to go out on a limb and take a chance on it.   So far I like it very much.

frieze on2.jpg

Both colors and choices will be made available when I finally release this model as kit.

I will try and release the first installments once I get chapter 4 completed.  I hope to anyway.  That is my plan.

frieze on3.jpg

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

So far I like it very much.

Me too. The darker field emphasizes the delicate frieze painting and echoes the black of the unique wales.

Edited by hollowneck
grammar

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thank You...also of note the upper molding along the sheer is laser cut and etched to look like fancy molding.  The same as for the Winnie.   The scrolls are also laser cut and etched.  

The lower molding were scraped in the traditional way...and not laser cut.

I agree that the darker frieze looks really nice. To me it looks more refined or elegant. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)