Hannah by ccoyle - Ship Model Okumoto - 1/70 - Colonial Schooner - on indefinite hold

Update: All modeling work at Casa de Coyle has temporarily been grounded, as we have new addition to the family.

PXL_20230119_024036338.thumb.jpg.2bb6922d07dacf87fd6b02938225accd.jpg

Keeva is a ten-week-old Cavapoo, and despite her innocuous look in this photo, she is much like any other puppy at this 'terrible twos' stage -- she needs lots of training and socializing. It will be quite awhile before she can be crated long enough to get some modeling time in, and longer before she will be trusted enough to have free rein in the house. So, for now, models are in a wait-and-see holding pattern.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Gawd she's a precious little soul, what a beauty. i think she's model ready right now! :D

So cute!  Looks like she didn't get the curly poodle fur; my wife loves Cavaliers but so far we've always had retrievers 😵. Which keep you going........we're older now so maybe a cavalier will be next.......hadn't heard of cavapoos but will ask my wife about them (she's a vet).

21 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Gawd she's a precious little soul, what a beauty.

Okay, Keith, you get a bonus photo for that comment. 😉

keeva.thumb.jpg.ef84894248d172f0669af50260313e90.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

39 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Hahaha!  We have had Cavaliers for years, you are in for FUN! 🤣🤣👍👍

So just to check you got a spaniel cross - in the (many I hope) years you have her you will never fathom what is going on between those cute little ears (personally I think not a lot!) 🤪 🐶

We have had dogs for years (I'm allergic to cats). We raised nine guide dog puppies. Most of our own have been mixed breeds of one sort or another, but our Old Man at the moment is a 15-year-old Cavalier. He is very dominant (I call him the 'anti-Cavalier') and is not completely thrilled about the new addition 😅.  Our youngest daughter has a super-sweet-tempered Cavalier as well.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Cute dog Chris!  My sister-in-law has one.  Let's hope yours doesn't pee and poop in the house at age 2 like hers still does 😬

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That little cutie has a look that says "you're going to holding me more than you think, but I'll keep your face wet".   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got back to working on Hannah yet, but I thought I'd post some pics of what I'm trying to wrap my brain around regarding the construction of the frames. As I said earlier, the available YouTube videos do not give any hints on what to do here, and neither do the instructions.

So, this is frame #5. As you can see, there is not a whole lot of overlap between the forward futtocks and aft futtocks.

Frame seen from forward:

473376774_frame5forward.jpg.401297e0457a8dc7a87851f6c3a93dcc.jpg

Frame seen from aft:

792857126_frame5aft.jpg.47b5d04337670ad8bb18600ce185deee.jpg

Frame seen from above:

1610762003_frame5top.jpg.c38cccabf13657341bb025f371ddf5e4.jpg

The question again is one of how much interior wood to remove, if any. It's possible that I may have to remove the deck beams to do this properly -- again, there was no advice about this in the instructions (BTW, only a couple of frames have deck beams glued to both sides). I suppose one option (and the easiest) would be to just not remove any interior wood; after all, this is a stylized POF model.

Thanks for any and all suggestions on what to do at this point. Having never built a POF model before, I have zero experience with this type of construction and precious few print resources to guide me.

Cheers!

P.S. Looking down the road, there is also precious little guidance in the instructions and videos on how to keep the keel and frames aligned when it comes time to glue them together. I suspect I may need to make a cheap building board for that sequence, but that's a ways off yet.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

30 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Chris, the images got lost in translation.

Faugh!! Still trying to figure out all the quirks of Google Photos. I'll update.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

The question again is one of how much interior wood to remove, if any.

Disclaimer: I have no idea.

That being said, are you trying to determine what to sand off before fairing? Seems like the safe bet would be to leave more on than not and fair it after you raised all the frames on the keel?

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

That being said, are you trying to determine what to sand off before fairing? Seems like the safe bet would be to leave more on than not and fair it after you raised all the frames on the keel?

The small size of the model and its unusual manner of construction will make such removal difficult, if not impossible. That's part of the dilemma. Mind you, this is interior fairing I'm wondering about.

One of the reasons I asked whether just leaving it as-is would be a viable option is that there isn't an 'interior' to this model -- other than the interior sides of the frames, there isn't much of anything else. Like I said, it's stylized, so I'm inclined to believe that leaving the insides un-faired would be a forgivable sin.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

15 hours ago, ccoyle said:

The small size of the model and its unusual manner of construction will make such removal difficult, if not impossible.

Ahh understood - I think it’s fully up to you. Looking at pictures of the finished models with the deck beams I think you could easily get away with it. For my taste I would probably try to smooth the frames some - but I imagine you could get away without doing it.

Edited by VTHokiEE

Upon further scrutiny of Mr. Okumoto's videos, I found a scene where he does appear to have removed some interior wood before mating the frames and keel together.

image.png.3cea79916da72be17eee970b21fd5be6.png

And here as well . . .

image.png.5169a0aeb1049af1737476c56c61b82b.png

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 4 months later...

I'm returning from about a seven year break and just picked up the box of Harold Hahn's "Hannah" based on his plans sold through The Lumberyard with a wood material kit for plank on frame.  Apparently I stopped while planking the inner bulwarks but also had not planked the stern.  I cannot find any pictures or diagrams of how the stern should look.  Did your kit include anything?  I think I have all my blueprints displayed again but no stern view....

I started to make a punch list to re-orient myself to the model.

-Plank transom and stern

-Figure out how to get the keel to fit past the inner planks. then fabricate rudder attaching strips/hinges (I cannot remember the term)

-Steam and finish inner bulwark planking then clean up gun ports.

-Clean up glue residue below planking where I am going to leave lower framing exposed.

-Sort and ID remaining strip wood from the box - it appears that I have some that does not go with my build... pine planking???

-Figure out the deck furniture builds before planking deck to know what will be exposed or not.  How many cannons to build if partially decked?

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions (2016 - ??)

In Progress: Just restarted after a 7 year break
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley

54 minutes ago, cardensb said:

Did your kit include anything?

This kit's framing is pretty rudimentary, and I'm skeptical that its stern framing would correspond very well with Mr. Hahn's plans.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hahn’s book “The Colonial Schooner” has a complete discussion about how he built his model of the Hannah.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

17 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Hahn’s book “The Colonial Schooner” has a complete discussion about how he built his model of the Hannah.

Appreciate the tip, I found the book on Amazon and ordered it.

Pretty good progress over the weekend. I finished the inner bulwarks (bloodwood is a pain to work with, I had forgot how fragile it is even after a good steaming). I installed apple wood rail caps (opportunity to  remember how to use and maintain by scroll saw). Cleaned up the gun ports so they are all the same size.  cleaned up the exposed framing below the few rows of planking I had installed years ago.  Began planking the quarterdeck above the cap line. Started shopping for pre-cut grating for the 5 hatches and 10 swivel guns.

Now if I can just find where my wife hid my digital calipers so i can get some accurate measurements.

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions (2016 - ??)

In Progress: Just restarted after a 7 year break
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley