Your 3D printing efforts look fantastic Chuck. Looking forward to trying some out. How hard would it be to a loop for the breeching tackle on carronade barrels? Something like this:

image.jpeg.ce121220ca4df2811b73ebd4051b792f.jpeg

Cheers,

Todd

"I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it."

Vincent Van Gogh 

I hope to have them in the future.

Ron has sent me an Armstron Fredrick cannon stl he made and I will be printing those very soon.  I am very grateful for that.  Once those are done maybe another type of cannon or yes even a carronade. And if Ron has other files I would be thrilled to print those too should he  want to pass them along.  

But all this does take time.  Slowly but surely.  I also have ships wheels ready to go and some other things.  

So lots of goodies yet to come.

2mm single blocks 1.jpg

2mm double blocks.jpg

2mm triple blocks 1.jpg

Chuck

Here is a test print run of an Armstrong Fredrick which Ron (thibaultron) sent me.   Its a lovely cannon and prints very nicely.  Ron has posted the stl files for these for everyone to print in our 3D printing forum area.   I am very thankful to Ron.  I will be selling these in my shop with his permission to anyone who does not wish to go down the 3d printing rabbit hole.

These are printed in Gray/black resin.  They are hard to photograph but hopefully you can see the royal monogram on the barrels and vent hole.  The trunnion pin is also extra long so it will fit any carriage.  Just snip off the excess and sand it flat.  I know you guys sometime buy barrels to fit the carriages supplied by the kits you are building.  Just in case.

armfred1 15-16.jpg

21 hours ago, Chuck said:

Here is a test print run of an Armstrong Fredrick which Ron (thibaultron) sent me.   Its a lovely cannon and prints very nicely.  Ron has posted the stl files for these for everyone to print in our 3D printing forum area.   I am very thankful to Ron.  I will be selling these in my shop with his permission to anyone who does not wish to go down the 3d printing rabbit hole.

These are printed in Gray/black resin.  They are hard to photograph but hopefully you can see the royal monogram on the barrels and vent hole.  The trunnion pin is also extra long so it will fit any carriage.  Just snip off the excess and sand it flat.  I know you guys sometime buy barrels to fit the carriages supplied by the kits you are building.  Just in case.

armfred1 15-16.jpg

I've updated many of the files in the Printing Resin Cannons thread, since they were posted. The NRG is in the process of placing all the cannon STL files in a database, that will be available on their web site, so stay tuned.

Thank you Ron.  I am now updating the guns on my Speedwell Carriages.  These are the new 3D printed cannon from the file you created.  They look fantastic.   The surface quality is better than I could have ever expected.  If you have a 3D printer it is well worth the 5 hours to print these.   I have an Elegoo Saturn Ultra printer 12K.   You guys should take advantage of Ron's hard work and generosity here.

resin sloop speedwell cannon.jpg

cannonscreenshot.jpg

Very impressive. Looks like my decision in which 3D printer to purchase is being made easy.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Chuck, if you are using LycheeSlicer, you might want to check out the "Raft" type base for the supports. The lip makes it easier to pry the parts off of the build plate.

Raft_001.jpg.088a497e44547ff41fce7bff3de15473.jpg

Its an old picture that I used and yes I am currently using that for my base shape on these now.   Its a lot easier.  Live and learn.  Thanks.

cannonscreenshot.jpg

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

You guys should take advantage of Ron's hard work and generosity here.

...when I get to that point on my Constitution👍🏆   These look great, gentlemen!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

On 8/14/2024 at 11:26 PM, Tossedman said:

Your 3D printing efforts look fantastic Chuck. Looking forward to trying some out. How hard would it be to a loop for the breeching tackle on carronade barrels? Something like this:

image.jpeg.ce121220ca4df2811b73ebd4051b792f.jpeg

Cheers,

Todd

Yes, it can be done. To prove it I had to draw it, so here it is for everyone. Yes, I'm a terrible speller.

Cannonade 9 Pounder with Trunnions Full Size_1174_62mm.stl

Cannonade9PounderwithTrunnions.thumb.jpg.70499a782d10e69af2d97d0ff35a6a74.jpg

Wow, looks great Ron! Thanks for jumping onto this one so quickly! Just one small thing. Should the trunnion be slightly below the centre line of the barrel as in the quoted drawing above?

Cheers,

Todd

"I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it."

Vincent Van Gogh 

Yep, blew that one. I also forgot the lower rear boss. Sorry! I've fixed the drawing.

Here are the corrected files.

Cannonade 9 Pounder with Trunnions Full Size_002_1174_62mm.stl

Cannonade9PounderwithTrunnionsFinal_002.thumb.jpg.fd66e4bdcf32185740edda27b92f01e8.jpg

Yes i do but my supplier is in poland.  The owner has switched his factory over to make munitions for Ukraine.  So until he switches back it will only be 3d printed.

Chuck

This week I will be starting to make the darker "Swiss Pear" colored rigging blocks.   If this is your preference then watch my store for the next few days as they start to appear.  Same low low price as the natural "boxwood" and yes half the price of other after market blocks that quite frankly are not as good in my opinion.  These are 5/32" singles and doubles.  First batch of these off the printer.

swiss pear rigging blocks for ship models syren.jpg

single sheave pear rigging blocks from syren.jpg

double sheave pear rigging blocks from syren.jpg

triple sheave pear rigging blocks from syren.jpg

dry-dock.jpg

Chuck

These 3D printed blocks are a revelation Chuck, I can see these rapidly making all “mass” produce wood blocks redundant. I know the traditionalist’s might not like that they are not wood, but hell they look so good! :imNotWorthy:

Thank you…I will certainly be using them on my models and I consider myself a traditionalist.  They look that good. 

They are getting crapped on pretty badly on the SOS forum by the usual bunch though.  But I think that has more to do with who actually makes them.  They keep deleting any pictures of them that my customers post over there which is kind of funny.  But I think as folks use them they will come around.

39 minutes ago, Chuck said:

They are getting crapped on pretty badly on the SOS forum by the usual bunch though.  But I think that has more to do with who actually makes them.  They keep deleting any pictures of them that my customers post over there which is kind of funny.

Interesting to hear that they are editing your posts/pictures over on SoS.  I didn't think comparison of products or being critical of products was allowed on SoS!  A post of mine back in May 2013 was edited by SoS admins because I made a contrast, ironically, between Syren deadeyes and another company, which I mentioned by name... apparently a no-no.

Keep doing what you are doing, Chuck!  Being successful! 🏆 I'll be ordering a bunch of these new blocks and deadeyes in due time... Thanks, Chuck!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

On 8/25/2024 at 3:36 PM, GGibson said:

I'll be ordering a bunch of these new blocks and deadeyes in due time...

Thank You so much !!!

I ordered a complete set of blocks and deadeyes a couple weeks ago for my next model, they are fantastic quality and they really do look quite good, I honestly forget they aren't wood when looking at them.  I will probably use these blocks for all my models in the foreseeable future as the price to quality just can't be beat. Keep up the great work Chuck, I have yet to be disappointed in anything I have purchased from you.

Current Build

HMS Sphinx, Vanguard Models 1:64 Scale

Finished Builds:

HMS Beagle

On 8/25/2024 at 2:49 PM, Chuck said:

They are getting crapped on pretty badly on the SOS forum by the usual bunch though.  But I think that has more to do with who actually makes them.  They keep deleting any pictures of them that my customers post over there which is kind of funny.  But I think as folks use them they will come around.

Remember!   "Those who can, do; those who can't, criticize": 

On 8/20/2024 at 3:02 PM, GGibson said:

...when I get to that point on my Constitution👍🏆   These look great, gentlemen!

Actually, Chuck, was killing time waiting on some glue to dry on my Bluenose, and started looking at the Model Shipways parts list for my Constitution.  There are a whole bunch of blocks listed of various sizes!  They also have a lot of bullseyes.  Any thoughts on doing those?

Gregg

While we're at it how about some decent belaying pins?  The really good ones from Falkonet  are not readily available anymore.

image.png.123c188178780f7e066cc7223237a6a5.png

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon