8 hours ago, Gregory said:

Any chance they are being re-sold?

That was my thought too. I hope that is not the case though.

I really dont know if they are being resold.  

yes I hope to also have pearwood blocks but first I have to get it so I am fully stocked with boxwood.  

So it will be a while before I have those.  The two on the right are a test in pear.  The second one is a different mystery wood that I liked and tested.  Its a beautiful lighter brown color.  The first is boxwood.

IMG_1099.png

Chuck 

21 hours ago, Gregory said:

Besides being very high quality, your blocks are very competitively priced.   Any chance they are being re-sold?

I would think that also.  Seems for awhile, there some of Chuck's blocks in some stores on Ebay. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 9/21/2023 at 12:36 PM, Chuck said:

Less than 24 hours after placing thousands (seriously thousands) of rigging blocks for sale on my site....

Yupp,  you guessed it.

Nearly sold out...

Wow!  I am one of the lucky ones!  Placed my order on Thursday.  And, received a shipment notice on Friday!  Great product followed up with great customer service!  Thanks, Chuck! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

More Choices...

cnc blockssingJ.jpg

As I wait to restock my new CNC rigging blocks...I wanted to also let you know that I am very aware of the fact that they are quite expensive for some.  After all this is just a hobby and not every ship model will end up in a museum.  At $7.50 per package they could be a lot for most folks to spend.  The process to make them is very expensive and time consuming. Although I outsource the manufacturing of them so this frees up some time for me,  they are still far cheaper than the other guys who charge $8.75 for an inferior product.  

So in addition to offering these high quality almost perfect CNC blocks...I am announcing a second tier BUDGET MINDED rigging block alternative to give you guys more choices.   They are still leaps and bound above the quality of most suppliers.  I think its important to offer more choices for all of you guys.

I am calling them  

SYREN BARGAIN BLOCKS

scale rigging blocks.jpg

fin6.jpg

These are not awful blocks by any stretch.   In fact they are my ORIGINAL rigging blocks from when I started making blocks 10 years ago.  The OG premium rigging block you might say.  They were used on my Cheerful above and as you can see they look pretty fantastic.  Many of you have asked for me to bring them back for various reasons.   Maybe you guys still have a hoard but need some sizes to fill any gaps in your stash.  So I thought this would be a good idea and a way to bring high quality rigging blocks within reach for those who are more budget minded.  Still with 25 blocks per package.

mainsheet.jpg

They will not sell for $8.75

They wont cost you $7.50

You will be able to buy these for the crazy price of just $5.75 per package of 25.

In some cases they will be even cheaper depending on the size.  Start looking for them on my website.  I will ramp up stocking of these starting today.

3/32" single BARGAIN blocks are now in stock.  Tomorrow I will make doubles and just keep it up until all the sizes are made.

And dont forget that my rope is still available and in stock as well.

polyrope.jpg

Chuck, all your blocks are indeed top notch...  we are all lucky that you are taking time and effort for making them available to all of us.  They just bring rigging up, way up in quality. On a side note, anyone successfully stain the boxwood blocks and still retain the wood quality?  Just asking away...

Edited by Loracs

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

I've stained those 'bargain' blocks with Fiebing's Leather Dye.. I'm satisfied with results..

00MastHead.jpg

You can see I ended up with some variation, but i think that image is light overall, because my rope is darker than seen in the image.

Just a note, based on another user's experience.  If you use shellac on the rope and block after it is in place, the dye can leach out into the rope..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thank You

I havent tried but I dont know why you would do that.  At least once the pear blocks are available I mean.   But while you wait You could try dying them.  Several people do that and it looks great.  Greg Herbert did that with my blocks on his Speedwell model.  These are basically my BARGAIN rigging blocks dyed with Fiebing's dye.  You can see these are darker than those posted by the other Greg...I dont know what color dye he used or how long you have to soak them for.

fin9.jpg

Crazy thing...I rarely shop for rigging blocks for obvious reasons.   But I was searching online for info on rigging blocks so I can start making CNC fiddle blocks and Hearts...

model shipwaysblocks.jpg

LOL...I came across the typical square blocks which are abominations that come in most commercial kits.   I couldnt believe the price.  They are selling these things for $5.50 per package of 30.

It just hit me that my bargain blocks are the same price....I think my bargain blocks are a steal for the price.  I cant believe how out of touch I am when it comes to how much money folks are charging for this stuff.  I thought they were maybe charging $3 for a package.   Crazy stuff.  Anyway....enjoy them while I can offer them.  I should have another size in stock tomorrow some time.

scale rigging blocks.jpg

Got my package yesterday, Chuck!  Thanks! 🏆😁

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

You can use a tumbler like the Block Buster.

I have my own little version  that works better for me..

image.jpeg.515119890a7cda399367d718f7d8b886.jpeg

image.jpeg.a519a7166cb8cf894b47fd8f9323f8fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.05c503bd9de7c83add8fb69e61fad248.jpeg

I have a pretty good stash of Chuck's blocks so I wouldn't go to the trouble of making the kit blocks work these days.

But there was a time when it was all the kit builder had.

Of course there are some kits like Vanguard, that come with pretty decent blocks. 

― Jimmy Buffett

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

LOL...I came across the typical square blocks which are abominations that come in most commercial kits.   I couldnt believe the price.  They are selling these things for $5.50 per package of 30.

It just hit me that my bargain blocks are the same price....I think my bargain blocks are a steal for the price.  I cant believe how out of touch I am when it comes to how much money folks are charging for this stuff.  I thought they were maybe charging $3 for a package.   Crazy stuff.  Anyway....enjoy them while I can offer them.  I should have another size in stock tomorrow some time.

I guess you've ignored inflation or greed or whatever.   I was looking at distilled and/or purified water last week.  I couldn't believe the price increases.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Crazy thing...I rarely shop for rigging blocks for obvious reasons.   But I was searching online for info on rigging blocks so I can start making CNC fiddle blocks and Hearts...

model shipwaysblocks.jpg

scale rigging blocks.jpg

I have thrown away hundreds of those Model Shipway blocks. First thing I do when ever I get a new model is trash the blocks and rigging line and replace with Syren blocks and line.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

model shipwaysblocks.jpg

scale rigging blocks.jpg

I bet you sell a lot more blocks than MS does though. I’m sure we would all still pay more for these given the results. Last time I bought MS anything was probably 10 years ago.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

One more reason why those box blocks are problematic.

image.jpeg.0f8256499a0975e99cec1c658df966d3.jpeg

Note how the sheave holes are close to the center on a lot of them.

Again, this is what you get in most kits, and they really spoil the look of the rigging.

― Jimmy Buffett

I use Fiebings medium brown dye for dyeing Chucks blocks. I string a whole bunch together forming a necklace and dip them in the dye for about ten seconds. I place them on paper towels to blot the excess and let them dry. Finally, I polish them with a rag then coat them with a bit of Renaissance conservators wax between my fingers. Treat the Fiebings dye with great care as splatters can never be removed from the surrounding area!

I think the dyed blocks look great against the black spars.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

2 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Treat the Fiebings dye with great care as splatters can never be removed from the surrounding area!

The Fiebings dye method that both Druxey & Greg mentioned sounded really good.... until Greg's warning about the splatters.  Even if it happened in the shipyard, the Mrs would probably have me removed!   <shrug> 

I know Chuck is simply promoting his quality product and does not mean for this to get into a MS bashing thread, but there IS a quality difference.  Keep up the great work, Chuck!

EDIT:  Made the picture bigger so you can see the details better.

Syren-MS-Compare3.thumb.jpg.99bae88b288bb9da5d9478eda932484f.jpg

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

I would urge caution about using a dye on blocks. I used Fiebing's Light Brown leather dye and was not happy with the results. I explain my concerns here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19611-albatros-by-dr-pr-mantua-scale-148-revenue-cutter-kitbash-about-1815/?do=findComment&comment=986904

What really peeved me is that Chuck's blocks are really nice and they came out looking terrible (in my opinion) because of the uneven staining. I think they would have come out better looking if they were painted. That's just my opinion, for what it is worth (they say you get what you pay for, so free opinions aren't worth much).

I am also the fellow who put shellac on a block and had the dye bleed into the light tan rope. The reason for this was to hold the rope in shape tight through the block while in tension so I could work on the fall later. I often use shellac to secure lines temporarily so I don't have to work with too many "moving parts." I should have known better! Both the dye and the shellac are alcohol based and the alcohol on the rope wicked the dye out of the block, even though it had been weeks since the blocks were dyed. I think I can brush alcohol onto the rope and wick some of the stain out with a paper towel, but I haven't tried that yet.

Sorry about your dye bleed, Dr. PR. Instead of shellac, a spot of dilute PVA (white) glue could act as placeholder. I also wax my dyed blocks. This might act as slight barrier to shellac, but I wouldn't bank on it without testing first.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chuck, I need to buy some rope! But your store is closed for maintenance. When will it reopen? 

I also want to clarify - on your webpage, you say that your rope is supplied in 29-30' packs. I am not American, I presume that means 29-30 feet? Or about 9.14 meters of rope per pack? I have some rope from Syren that I bought in a previous order (maybe 5-6 years ago), and there isn't 30' of rope per pack. I just measured it, the length of rope that I have is 19' in a pack. Have your packs gotten larger? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

You have my older rope packages.  A few years ago I decided to make the rope lengths longer but keep the price the same.   Just to give folks a bit of a break with inflation and rising costs.  I am still maintaining those prices.  Yes that is 29 to 30 feet.   

My store will reopen sometime today.  I just returned from a trip to Annapolis and the Navy Yard Museum.   Below for example is the Crypt of John Paul Jones.

Chuck

IMG_1161.jpeg

IMG_1147.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1128.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_1121.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1116.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures, Chuck! Our son is a 2004 USNA graduate, and we loved our trips to Annapolis. 

Gregg

Everyone had a great time at the carving workshop and tour of the Naval academy.  

It is always great to see all guys and gals.   A special thanks to David Antscherl and Greg Herbert.

Image 1.jpg

Chuck

I was great getting together with everyone, not to mention learning from a master.  Hone your chisels!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.