Syren Ship Model Company News, Updates and Info.....(part 2)

I am starting a new topic as the last one just got huge....over 2000 replies.

Its fitting that I would do so today actually.   Today marks ten years since I have started Syren.  Its been a long and interesting journey.  Ten years and miles and miles of rope made and thousands and thousands of blocks sold.   Here's to the next ten years.  Maybe not that long, LOL.

For a bit of news....I have finally received the parts to maintain my CNC Mill.  So blocks are on tap over the next few weeks.  In fact I have already started.   3/32" singles and doubles are now in stock.   More will follow. Although half of the 3/32" singles already sold out.  UGH!

cncblocks3-17a.jpg

Onward and upward as they say.

Chuck

Happy tenth anniversary!  We are eternally grateful for your contributions.

Maury

Congratulations, and best wishes for future continued success!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Wow ten wonderful years! Congratulations.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys....Its crazy.   Just made those 3/32" single blocks two days ago and they all but gone.  So before I can make the next size I have to doubleback and make more.  Im never going to get done at this rate.

10 years, my how time flies while you're hopefully having fun.   As for "never being done"..... that's a sign of success.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on 10 years Chuck. Your innovations and contributions to the ship modeling community go beyond measure, you have set the bar very high and created a whole new niche of products and a growing number of enthusiasts. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Belated congratulations on your 10th anniversary, Chuck! Here's to the next ten. 

The reason you sell out of small blocks is not because they are so nice, but because as fast as you sell them they disappear into the buyers' workshops' black holes, never to be seen again. That's my theory, anyway.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1500 blocks in a day; no wonder the blockmakers at Portsmouth Dockyard got so upset over the introduction of Brunel's blockmaking machines. I would consider making 50 miniature blocks a day a success if making them by hand. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Yes its crazy….if I really push it and do a 12 hour day I could prob make about 2000…..of the smaller sizes.  But its not fun work.  So 1000 or even 1500 will have to do.  

I have tweaked my process as I learn the technologies.  I am sure other mfg’s can make them quicker but I think I now have a solid technique and process.

it does mean however that I must redo the cad files I use for the blocks which takes forever, but I only need to do that once for each size.  Each size also needs its own jig and hold down device…designed…laser cut and built.  

But again,  I only have to do this once and then its pretty routine.

The new process is quicker and produces a cleaner well shaped block.  Believe it or not, the idea came to me one night around 3am when I couldnt fall asleep.  I sprung out of bed and made some notes…worked on it the next day.  And to my surprise it works a treat and makes it easier for me once the initial setup is completed.  

The craziest stuff pops into my brain in the wee hours of the morning.  Its nuts.

Congratulations on ten years!  Best of luck for the next ten!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Ten down, forty to go.  Don't even THINK about retiring Chuck, you will disappoint a LOT of folks out there.

Congrats!

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

It's amazing how the subconscious works away without one being aware of it, and then suddenly; bingo! Glad you have a more elegant method of block-making now, Chuck. Brunel would have been proud of you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 months later...

New Gun port hinge mini kits will be available tomorrow.  They are laser cut from a special high density plastic.  These were made specifically for the Winchelsea but I am sure they will fit other models.   They are .040" wide and 21/32" long.  I have ordered some material that will also produce 1/16" wide hinges (slightly wider).  But that hasnt arrived yet.   Some prefer a wider strap.   Those can easily be shaped differently too being extra wide. I will show that after I get them.   But these are the narrower ones and perfect for the Winnie or even Cheerful.   There are 36 hinges per package.   They can be made shorter if needed as well.   

gporthinges2.jpg

1.  What a hinge looks like straight off the sheet.

2. Round off the bottom with fine sandpaper.  Drill a small hole for the split ring if needed.  Use a #76 drill bit for a 28 gauge wire ring.

3.  What the gport hinge pin looks like straight off the sheet.

4.  Sand the actual pin slightly thinner and to a point.  This will be inserted and glued into the hull above the port.  Also  insert and glue a length of 28 gauge black wire into the laser cut hole and cut off the excess as shown.  Use CA glue as it is plastic.

5.  Join the hinge strap and hinge pin by slipping the wire pin into the hole of the strap.  This makes a working hinge.

gporthinges.jpg

Once glued onto the port lid, you can sand the straps even thinner.  Just gently sand the face of the port with fine sandpaper and taper the hinge straps even thinner if you like.

Apply weathering powder if you like that look.   Make some split rings (not shown) and add them on the hinges as is typical.  

The store will reopen tomorrow as I am mending from a really bad flu....cant do much so I am just hanging around the shop till I get over this.  I had to shut down the store because I am out of stock with other things and just cant make any more rope until I feel better.  But there are about a dozen packages of these in stock.

new port hinges2.jpg

Chuck

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

New Gun port hinge mini kits will be available tomorrow.  They are laser cut from a special high density plastic.  These were made specifically for the Winchelsea but I am sure they will fit other models.   They are .040" wide and 21/32" long.  I have ordered some material that will also produce 1/16" wide hinges (slightly wider).  But that hasnt arrived yet.   Some prefer a wider strap.   Those can easily be shaped differently too being extra wide. I will show that after I get them.   But these are the narrower ones and perfect for the Winnie or even Cheerful.   There are 36 hinges per package.   They can be made shorter if needed as well.   

gporthinges2.jpg

1.  What a hinge looks like straight off the sheet.

2. Round off the bottom with fine sandpaper.  Drill a small hole for the split ring if needed.  Use a #76 drill bit for a 28 gauge wire ring.

3.  What the gport hinge pin looks like straight off the sheet.

4.  Sand the actual pin slightly thinner and to a point.  This will be inserted and glued into the hull above the port.  Also  insert and glue a length of 28 gauge black wire into the laser cut hole and cut off the excess as shown.  Use CA glue as it is plastic.

5.  Join the hinge strap and hinge pin by slipping the wire pin into the hole of the strap.  This makes a working hinge.

gporthinges.jpg

Once glued onto the port lid, you can sand the straps even thinner.  Just gently sand the face of the port with fine sandpaper and taper the hinge straps even thinner if you like.

Apply weathering powder if you like that look.   Make some split rings (not shown) and add them on the hinges as is typical.  

The store will reopen tomorrow as I am mending from a really bad flu....cant do much so I am just hanging around the shop till I get over this.  I had to shut down the store because I am out of stock with other things and just cant make any more rope until I feel better.  But there are about a dozen packages of these in stock.

new port hinges2.jpg

Chuck

Chuck: So doing some quick math, if you were wanting to use these hinges for the Winnie, you would only need 2 packages? Enjoying the Winnie project! The boxwood I am using for planking is giving the Winnie a interesting look. Sorry to hear about your cold.. had one of those earlier in the year.. not fun....

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

I hope you get over the flu quickly.  Not only for us modelers but just be feeling better.   Nasty flu season we seem to be having.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

No only one package with plenty of leftovers.  Only ten ports have lids…20 hinges. 

Chuck: Ok.. thanks.. was thinking ahead and I havent read that chapter just yet.. I assume they will be available for a while?

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

More experiments making blocks and deadeyes with new mystery material.  No laser char.

I call the ebony deadeyes and blocks...."Febony"   as they are not real ebony but its impossible to tell really.   The blocks and deadeyes are made from the same material I experimented with making delicate scrolls.   Again....no laser char which is fantastic.

These are my same old multi layer mini kits.   I just used the new material to see how they would look.  Tested a medium brown as well.   No dying or staining needed.  They are the same color all the way through.  These are all 4mm deadeyes.

deadeyesplastic1.jpg

deaedeyesplastic.jpg

deadeyesplastic2.jpg

Chuck

They really look nice. Boy those squirrels running around in you head have been busy and are really creative! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Well I am not up to making rope or making parts like the factory is going full tilt.  So I am just poking around the shop playing and then taking a nap and repeating to take more nyquil.  

Its amazing how creative you get while high on Nyquil. 

I am in a haze of creativity.

i am literally completely out of stock with rope and blocks so the next few weeks are going suck.  I am already tired and I havent started making more yet.  

So I apologize for the delay.  Its gonna take a while.

Get healthy!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Take a break, your health comes first. NyQuil is our friend. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Yes I agree.  In fact,  The Admiral has given me orders so I dont get pneumonia.  She has ordered me to shut down the store for at least a week or maybe two so I can get well and restock slowly.   She is a smart lady.

So unfortunately guys...forgive me for shutting down again.   I have nothing in stock anyway so it will give me some time to catch up.  But not for a few days at least.  I need a few days to get better.   It really knocks the hell out of you.

Chuck

Good that you're listening to the lady, Chuck.   Sometimes we just need someone to put their foot down on us so we can get better and recover.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: