Syren Ship Model Company News, Updates and Info.....(part 2)

I’m definitely interested in a 1:48 POB version if that’s on the table. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Its sadly not…that would be an entirely different model needed to be started from scratch.

Just to let folks know because that request comes up a lot.  Not just of me but I see folks ask other mfg’s as well.

You just cant increase or decrease the size.  Any change in scale requires quite a bit of redesign…as if you were starting from the beginning.  Wood thicknesses and sizes will get too screwy and you couldnt use nominal common sizes.  It would be such a headache.

Hi Chuck, Sorry I was away yesterday and didn't see the posts until this morning so I couldn't contribute. Your decision is sound, and I feel your pricing is very reasonable.  You could easily ask more and I'm sure more than 5 people would gladly pay it. I know I would. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thank you all who have contacted me.   I have a grand total of 8 people who have reserved the first two chapters of the fully framed kit.   

I will laser cut those 8 and another 2 additional to keep on the shelf.  Just in case.   

I am buying all of the supplies needed to complete them now and also getting the plans printed and starting to write the monograph chapters.

Should be a fun project for those who are taking the plunge.

Chuck, I'm so happy that you are releasing a POF version.  It is a great design, something to be very proud.  I consider myself a beginner and still struggling at time with the basic.  The speedwell is likely outside of my skillset... for now. However, I will greatly enjoy watching the numerous logs here.  In fact, I'm looking forward to it.

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

On 10/23/2023 at 6:41 AM, Chuck said:

Thank you all who have contacted me.   I have a grand total of 8 people who have reserved the first two chapters of the fully framed kit.   

I will laser cut those 8 and another 2 additional to keep on the shelf.  Just in case.   

I am buying all of the supplies needed to complete them now and also getting the plans printed and starting to write the monograph chapters.

Should be a fun project for those who are taking the plunge.

When will the eight hear something ?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 4 months later...

door hinges.jpg

Coming Soon!!!

I really dont know why I havent offered these already...Oh well

I will be making a ton of bulkheads with doors for Speedwell really soon.  They will require many hinges.  The usual "H" and "L" type hinges we use on models.   So I have designed three sizes which should fit most scales.  They are 9/32" and 7/32" and 3/16" tall hinges.   

You get 21 hinges "L type" 

You get 45 hinges "H" type"

These should be available in a few days.  They are all black laser board and will come in very handy.

I dont have a picture with these in use yet but soon.  The closest I have is the Bulkhead door but it uses a unique version for the top curved hinge.  But you get the idea.  The bottom hinge is one of the "L type hinges".  It is the larger size in height for this scale but its all relative.  

fancybulkhead13.jpg

Some used on Mike's Winnie...although these are adjusted slightly but you get the idea.

Winchelsea_0082.thumb.jpg.a891701f93e8b04b17c98eea9fbb4a1b.jpg

Thanks...The hinges are now in stock..

I will have a lot of bulkhead doors to make.  Another feature I absolutely hate is making the door knobs.  No matter how hard I try they never look good to me.  So my preference is to make handles.  These are not easy to make from scratch.  But the laser cutter makes it pretty easy.

My Speedwell bulkhead door mock up is pictured.

So I will be using old fashioned 18th century door handles instead of knobs.  I think they look much more interesting.  I have made 3 sizes again for my own personal use.  They are made from the black plastic I have been using.   If there is any interest in these I can also make them available.  Just let me know.   Once they are glued onto the doors, I like to use a sharp #11 blade and thin down the bottom of the handle itself to make it curved.  This is more in keeping with the 18th century style I have seen used.  They take forever to laser cut and are so crazy tiny.  But its just a matter of popping them out of the sheet and gluing them on.  That is if I dont drop them on the floor and they are lost forever.

Let me know if you guys would like these made available.

door handles.jpg

door handles1.jpg

And some real ones I used but I cant get them this delicate looking...but it will do.

18th Century Bean Latch Set Hand Wrought Iron Door Hardware 6 1/2” | eBay

22 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Thanks...The hinges are now in stock..

I will have a lot of bulkhead doors to make.  Another feature I absolutely hate is making the door knobs.  No matter how hard I try they never look good to me.  So my preference is to make handles.  These are not easy to make from scratch.  But the laser cutter makes it pretty easy.

My Speedwell bulkhead door mock up is pictured.

So I will be using old fashioned 18th century door handles instead of knobs.  I think they look much more interesting.  I have made 3 sizes again for my own personal use.  They are made from the black plastic I have been using.   If there is any interest in these I can also make them available.  Just let me know.   Once they are glued onto the doors, I like to use a sharp #11 blade and thin down the bottom of the handle itself to make it curved.  This is more in keeping with the 18th century style I have seen used.  They take forever to laser cut and are so crazy tiny.  But its just a matter of popping them out of the sheet and gluing them on.  That is if I dont drop them on the floor and they are lost forever.

Let me know if you guys would like these made available.

door handles.jpg

door handles1.jpg

And some real ones I used but I cant get them this delicate looking...but it will do.

18th Century Bean Latch Set Hand Wrought Iron Door Hardware 6 1/2” | eBay

Chuck: Sign me up! I would buy some door handles for my Winny.. All it took is one look at your pics. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

20 hours ago, Chuck said:

Door handles are now in stock as well

They really look sharp, Chuck!  Amazing what can be produced at this scale! 👍🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

• 3 weeks later...

Based on popular demand and multiple requests, a package of smaller door handles is now available.   This multi-pack gives you 30 each of the 3/16" tall handles and now 1/8" tall handles.

In addition ....a multi pack of smaller door hinges is also available.   You get 16 each of 1/8" and 3/16" tall Hinges.   In both styles....

door handles.jpg

door hinges.jpg

Mostly due to the size and available (or I should allowable based on my wife’s review) display space I’m really trying to convince myself Speedwell is not my next project.  With each new innovation that gets harder and harder to do…..I mean, to scale door handles and books on a table in the cabin, wow.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I am not sure if I will add those details yet.   I am still mulling it over.   The reason why we builders add those fun details is to set our models apart from the many that will end up being made.   It also means I have to build another set of every table and chair again so I can write the instructions for them...LOL.

But the Speedwell project moves forward at any rate.

Now working on fcastle details.

fcastlebulkhead.jpg

fancybulkhead13.jpg

fcastlebeams1.jpg

cupola16.jpg

fcastlebeams4.jpg

Those small details are lots of fun to add but you'll never see them on the final model, especially when encased. But some future observer will be delighted when they use their home Target brand home endoscope.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

6 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I’m really trying to convince myself Speedwell is not my next project.  With each new innovation that gets harder and harder to do…..

Resisting is futile Glenn! :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

1 hour ago, Rustyj said:

Resisting

I’ll watch you for a while 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Rustyj said:

I’m really trying to convince myself Speedwell is not my next project.

I agree with Rusty.  Don't fight it Glenn.   Based on the many build logs here at MSW and elsewhere, for a full size vessel Chuck's is the gold medal winner.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 3/27/2024 at 10:40 AM, glbarlow said:

Mostly due to the size and available (or I should allowable based on my wife’s review) display space I’m really trying to convince myself Speedwell is not my next project.  With each new innovation that gets harder and harder to do…..I mean, to scale door handles and books on a table in the cabin, wow.

Right. Waiting to see your build log.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

3 minutes ago, JeffT said:

Right. Waiting to see your build log.

:-D

Regards,

Glenn

13 hours ago, allanyed said:

Chuck's is the gold medal winner.  

This I know from building. Cheerful and Winchelsea. This is next level. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...