Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

They look great. Will you be doing the extra details such as the small arms lockers in the fighting tops, and the chicken coops on the spar deck?

Also, have you found the AOTS to be deficient in any area (in respect to the rigging and masts) that you need a second source?

Thank you,

Tim

Nice start to the mast tops Bob. I know you said you had a lot of ME Deadeyes on hand, but you've done such a nice job so far, don't you think it deserves to be indulged with the complete Chuck/Syren treatment and use his Deadeyes too? ;) Go on - you know you want to. ;):)

Hi Bob -- Your work is breathtaking as always.  I visit your log regularly, even though I don't always comment, just to get inspiration for how well this can be done. 

As for your figurehead, has anyone suggested you look at Bill Short's practicum?  He has a link here on MSW:

http://carvingbook.weebly.com/

I got this book when I wanted to carve the figurehead for my Rattlesnake.  I'm not an experienced or skill carver by any measure, but golly I found that it was as much fun as any other aspect of modelling.  So I'd say, give it a go.  Bill's instructions are nicely detailed with clear illustrations, showing you the step by step process to carving figureheads & other decorations.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Tim, Grant and Martin and the "likes".

Tim, the material in AOTS is good as far it goes. The tops, for example, are shown in pretty full detail. The same is true for the masts and yards. The rigging plans are good for the general runs and layout. I have found Lees very helpful in the past for additional details and for showing differences that occurred at specific periods of time. As for those details, I may add the lockers, but no chicken coops, since I didn't do any deck planking in that area.

Grant, the ME deadeyes are really not bad. Particularly at small scale, the difference would be barely noticeable. The blocks are another story entirely.

Bob

A little further progress. I've completed the fore top (with one exception).I assembled the trestletrees and crosstrees and the mast block and glued them in place under the top. I then drilled all the holes for the deadeyes, the crowsfeet, the spritsail brace blocks, some eyebolts and to mount the railing. I also cut the hole for the lower yard slings and made and added the sling bolster. The assembly was painted black. The railing was made from a boxwood rail and brass stanchions, painted black and glued into the previously drilled holes. The eyebolts were glued in place. Lastly, I stropped the deadeyes and mounted them. The only item remaining was the spritsail brace blocks, which I had forgotten to order from Chuck, and am now awaiting.

I'm now working on the lower fore mast, and will complete that before moving back to the main top and lower main mast.

Bob

post-186-0-03894300-1413315433_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-55647400-1413315454_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23724400-1413315474_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40821300-1413315490_thumb.jpg

I've been working on the fore lower mast. This involved shaping the mast and mast head, making and adding the bibbs and cheeks, adding the bands to the mast and head ( black painted paper), making and adding the front fish (notched to fit over the bands), adding the wooldings, making and adding cleats and making and adding the mast coat. I also made some cleats for the jeers to be added to the mast head after the top is attached. The top is still awaiting blocks to be attached, as is the mast head. The mast has not been permanently set yet.

Bob

post-186-0-71220000-1413626837_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82910100-1413626877_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-39530300-1413626903_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59337900-1413626921_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59431600-1413626941_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-04768100-1413627000_thumb.jpg

Well done.  I love the cleats.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks so much Tim, Augie and the "likes".

Tim, I actually used masking tape on this one. Cut into strips, painted black, wrapped twice around the mast and secured by a drop of glue at the final lap joint.

Bob

started!  frames in, had to force them a bit.  built up the aft 4/your early pics.  started g ports on star side up to frame 3.  how much did you build up 1 & 2?  can't tell on the pics.  is that what u did?

not touching stern framing until basic skeleton completed.  that looks tricky!

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks so much John. Thanks also to the "likes".

Time to start a log Terry. I did a lot of reshaping on bulkheads 1 and 2, both outside and inside. My memory is that I just kept adding and sanding until I thought that I had it right. The reason for the tight fits is that the plywood is thicker than it is supposed to be. This will bite you on the stern framing as well.

Bob

Lower mast construction continues. The fore mast and it's top are now complete and installed. The work included adding the blocks for the spritsail and spritsail topsail yard braces. These are hung below the top and held in place by pegs on the deck of the top. These will be the only blocks that I will attach to the tops, since I do not intend to rig buntlines, leech lines, reef tackles etc.and won't show the blocks for them.

After gluing the top to the mast, I added the bolsters, the jeer sling cleats and the lead blocks for the main topmast stay and preventer stay. Lastly, I permanently mounted the mast.

Work now continues on the main mast and top.

Bob

post-186-0-47611700-1414081604_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-12201100-1414081623_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-30727300-1414081643_thumb.jpg

Looking great Bob!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I've now completed and mounted the main lower mast. The procedure was identical to what I showed for the fore mast , with the exception that there are no blocks hung from the top or seized to the masthead and there is a deadeye seized to the lower part of the mast for the mizzen stay.

I'm now working on the lower mizzen mast.

Bob

post-186-0-62832300-1414497029_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69824000-1414497051_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-83828500-1414497078_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16986300-1414497098_thumb.jpg

Beautiful build Bob,

I`m looking Forward and am very interested in your ongoing masting and rigging work, ver nice clean work...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Wow !!!!!!

One thing....I see that all the blocks are still in plastic bags......

No little boxes available where you are ????  :P  :P

Sjors

Thanks so much Tim, Nils, Sjors and all of the "likes".

Tim, I really don't know yet what the finished dimensions will be. I haven't scaled out the sizes of the upper masts and the jib boom and flying jib boom.I have no drawings to this scale and still need to figure these out from the prototype dimensions.

The blocks  arrived about a week ago Sjors, and I've just been too lazy to put them in their boxes. :D  :D 

Bob