Bugatti Type 35B by CDW - FINISHED - Italeri - 1:12 Scale

CDW

2 hours ago, ah100m said:

This is the car in the Revs Institute, right?  Gorgeous car.

The Revs institute car, SN 4959 (from 1930) is not this one. This one is SN 4914 and was built I believe in 1928. I'm not really certain of its whereabouts today. The article I read about it and the reference photos are from an article in Hemmings, 2016. 

It's interesting to note that this car was originally painted in green when it won the first Monaco Grand Prix. It was sold by Bugatti to a private owner following that initial win. The new owner painted it red. Later on, it was painted again, this time in blue, then once more in a different shade of blue. The car remained unrestored as it is pictured above in 2016. To model the car, it will be necessary to possibly show, in various places, chipped paint that exposes the several colors and shades the car was painted. Should be fun and more satisfying (to me) than a brilliant new paint job.

20 minutes ago, CDW said:

It's interesting to note that this car was originally painted in green when it won the first Monaco Grand Prix. It was sold by Bugatti to a private owner following that initial win. The new owner painted it red. Later on, it was painted again, this time in blue, then once more in a different shade of blue. The car remained unrestored as it is pictured above in 2016. To model the car, it will be necessary to possibly show, in various places, chipped paint that exposes the several colors and shades the car was painted. Should be fun and more satisfying (to me) than a brilliant new paint job.

Craig, I think you are perfectly right, as depicted in this beautiful painting of Graham Turner: 

large_gic_g168_1929_monaco_gp.jpg.da5e716396df015395e9429e1c92ea8e.jpg

Yves

I'm in.  Just what I need, to be tempted by another 1/12th scale old race car build.   I prefer the fresh out of the factory look, but only because I am too chicken to attempt any serious weathering.  Maybe some day.   I am preparing to be amazed by what you come up with :)

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Nice project Craig, can't wait for the paint job, faded and chipped.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Sign me up! A very cool vintage racer.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Before getting carried away with primer, paint, and weathering, thought it would be a good time to show some photos of the chassis in the raw.

The differential/leaf springs/dampers assembly sits there dry fitted which gives the appearance of a poor fit, but it's not in reality. Just need to keep the assemblies unglued at this time and will fully assemble after painting and weathering are done. 

Parts fit has been good so far. A minimum of flash and ejector pin marks to clean up. It seems Italeri has done a good job with this kit but will reserve final judgement after full assembly has been done. 

DSCN3287.JPG

DSCN3288.JPG

DSCN3289.JPG

DSCN3290.JPG

DSCN3291.JPG

DSCN3292.JPG

DSCN3293.JPG

That  chassis  looks  so sweet  Craig,   looks  like  the  foundation  of an excellent  kit   -  and   I know  you  will  knock it out of the  park.

OC. 

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice progress Craig, I will see through your build, If you can convert me into a Italeri Bugatti buyer. I considered it sometimes, but I don't like Italeri's quality approach generally and have not one of their kits in my huge stash, therefore. 

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Very clean tidy  work  there  Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Thank you for sharing the references and pictures of the paints you are using. This will help future builders.

Yves

Thanks Yves. Noel Smith had indicated he just acquired the kit for his stash so I was hoping it might be a help to someone else who planned to build the model. Of course, some modelers may prefer acrylic paints vs the lacquers I am using here.

Looking good!  On the prior pictures of the chassis...maybe there is a white balance problem or something, but the "light gull grey" looks rather green.  I thought I'd clicked into a build log for an army truck. :)

I assume the first picture of post #25 is much closer to the true color.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

5 minutes ago, gsdpic said:

Looking good!  On the prior pictures of the chassis...maybe there is a white balance problem or something, but the "light gull grey" looks rather green.  I thought I'd clicked into a build log for an army truck. :)

I assume the first picture of post #25 is much closer to the true color.

Any green is definitely an issue with the camera and lighting. I am a novice at best with a camera.

Looks darn fine to me brother....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Began construction and painting of the 2,263cc, overhead camshaft, 3 valves per cylinder, supercharged, 8-cylinder inline engine.

The basic engine colors used were AK Xtreme Metal white aluminum, and Mr Color iron.

Various other colors and parts will be added along with a thorough weathering of the engine in later phases.

I thought I had thrown it out, but I somehow managed to pick up and use a defective roll of Tamiya tape I had discovered in a previous build. This particular roll of tape leaves a pesky residue after it is removed. Fortunately, it can be removed (the residue) with IPA and a cotton swab. From the photos, I can see there is still some of it residing on the engine block which I will need to remove after making this post. Photos have a way of bringing out imperfections easily missed with the naked eye.

IMG_5715.thumb.jpg.9aea45987f329e8fd42089fcd7f8bddc.jpgIMG_5716.thumb.jpg.ae35cde97a4c51c238ac294c9b7bf661.jpgDSCN3307.thumb.JPG.13cacbb127c57fc548a920b6c581fbdb.JPGDSCN3308.thumb.JPG.5d9810c9f28739646ba45c4561767573.JPG