SS Blagoev ex-Songa 1921 by Valeriy V - scale 1:100 - Soviet Union

Wheelhouse looks great I really like the color of the wood. Did you have to use your big match for decking strips?

Looking great Valeriy

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Beautifully neat work Valeriy.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

I see that you are not only a master in brass, but in wood also.  The wheelhouse is very clean, crisp and precisely made. So too is the hatch and decking. Excellent!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• The title was changed to SS Blagoev ex-Songa 1921 by Valeriy V - scale 1:100 - Soviet Union
  • 2 weeks later...

very nice painting Valeriy,

it looks great

BTW. those are the colors of the Laeisz flying P-liners

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Valeriy. I assume you spray painted the hull. The waterline (white) band seems very wide. I assume it is to scale so is there a reason for it being so wide? The pedestals are of an interesting design. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

10 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Valeriy. I assume you spray painted the hull. The waterline (white) band seems very wide. I assume it is to scale so is there a reason for it being so wide? The pedestals are of an interesting design. 

Keith, I do not use spray cans when painting, as they do not give the desired uniformity to the paint layer. I use airbrushes with nozzle diameters of 0.3 and 0.5 mm.

As for the light stripe, this is not the waterline. This is a strip of variable waterlines, it indicates the level of the minimum and maximum permissible draft of the vessel.
  Very often this strip was painted with a special antifouling paint (patent). Mostly these paints had pink, green  shades. Pink paints contain mercury oxide, which kills microorganisms and gives the paint a pink tint.

197376.jpg

197377.jpg

624472.jpg

683208.jpg

Laeisz Flying P ships were painted the black-white-red scheme because that time this scheme was the colors of the German Merchant Marine. However, the tree tone painting wasn't unusual that time, two almost identical examples are Balclutha (San Francisco Maritime Museum) and Wavertree (South Street Seaport Museum, New York).  Also, Pelican of London barquentine (built 1946) still sails with this color scheme

Tall Ship Pelican Of London, Weymouth Harbour - Dorset.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Valeriy V said:

As for the light stripe, this is not the waterline. This is a strip of variable waterlines, it indicates the level of the minimum and maximum permissible draft of the vessel.

Valery, in 1912 the waterline marks were the standard Plimsoll mark, mandatory painted on midships since 1894. However, this isn't exclude to paint the big white line for better visibility.

Edit: Until 1930, the Plimsoll mark was required for all ship only who visiting British ports. It is required for all vessels since 1930 so you were right.

Edited by Veszett Roka

To my knowledge, there was no paint-scheme for the German Merchant Marine in the early years of the 20th century. This was just the fashion of the day. One can see this is on many old photographs on both, sail- and steam-ships. Sometimes grey was substituted for black.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

53 minutes ago, Veszett Roka said:

Valery, in 1912 the waterline marks were the standard Plimsoll mark, mandatory painted on midships since 1894. However, this isn't exclude to paint the big white line for better visibility.

Edit: Until 1930, the Plimsoll mark was required for all ship only who visiting British ports. It is required for all vessels since 1930 so you were right.

Better visibility of the ship's side area at variable waterlines is a secondary purpose. ;) 

The main task of such painting is to protect the metal of the sheathing sheets from intense destruction.

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

To my knowledge, there was no paint-scheme for the German Merchant Marine in the early years of the 20th century. This was just the fashion of the day. One can see this is on many old photographs on both, sail- and steam-ships. Sometimes grey was substituted for black.

Thats right Eberhard, there was no scheme, but the Laeisz fleet was painted this way by purpose. Laeisz was proud of his Flying-P fleet and intended to easily recognize the P ships. The Laeisz shipping company is still working today, and they are happily follow this tradition e.g. the pride, but their ships are more colorful nowadays. I was talked one of their officer then in Hamburg.

1 hour ago, Valeriy V said:

The main task of such painting is to protect the metal of the sheathing sheets from intense destruction.

Also right Valery, however the white line was not antifouling paint. Red one was (either the pinkier tone mercury-oxide or more burgundy color lead-oxide) the antifouling. I had opportunity to paint them in real life so much time :)

This "variable waterline" was called the "boot topping" when I was in the navy. It was a black stripe between the minimum and maximum load lines. You can see it clearly in this photo of an oiler running high and dry. When it was fully loaded only the very top of the black boot topping was visible.

99UNREPSRefeuling111024C.jpg.486cc3818e855bf1122c35ded0b2dcca.jpg

Black boot-toppings came into fashion, when warships became grey, because harbour waters were full of oil and grime and that would leave nasty traces on the grey.

In many navies it was common to have have a white boot-topping above the coppering and this practice continued, when iron ships' bottoms were painted red.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 4/14/2024 at 8:55 AM, Valeriy V said:

Thank you all for your kind reviews and likes! :) 

I continue making wooden parts for the model.
The photo shows the cargo hatch cover.

79.jpg

80.jpg

the hull looks incredibly nice

I think i like it better as it looks, unpainted  The wood and brass combo is perfect also

43 minutes ago, mikegr said:

the hull looks incredibly nice

I think i like it better as it looks, unpainted  The wood and brass combo is perfect also

Perhaps, after the appearance of small details on the model, your opinion will change a little. :)

Very sharp construction and painting. She will definately fit in a museum when finished.