Who am I?

Hello! I figured I should post a little about myself as I am (somewhat) new to this form. I discovered this hobby about 3 years ago during the pandemic. I remember scrolling through YouTube, looking at the same old videos of plastic models being put together, when all of a sudden I found a video by John Aliprantis, "Santa Ana The Making Of," I watched it and immediately fell in love with the hobby (or should I say art) of wooden ship modeling. I then watched all of his videos and not after too long I ended up with Occre's Golden Hind kit. This was a HUGE mistake as a beginner as I had no idea what I was doing, there was then a brief period where I distanced myself from the hobby, I thought that this may not be for me and that I would have no resources to figure out how to construct these masterpieces. That is when I stumbled upon this form, it made a huge difference in my understanding of this hobby and I was able to power through the Golden Hind build, (though it wasn't pretty). I then took another gap before I decided to take a look at other brands, this is when I tried Artesania Latina with their HMS Endeavour's Longboat kit. This was a much better fit for me as it took what I learned with the Golden Hind and reinforced it. I finished Endeavour's Longboat today, after about a month and a half of work. The timing on this could not be better as it is believed they have found the actual HMS Endeavour just off the coast of Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. I decided to make an actual account on this form so that I could make a build log for my next build, (Drum-Roll.....) Artesania Latina's San Juan Nepomuceno... I know, I know, she's an old model, and she's plagued with many issues, but I have looked over many build logs and videos to learn from the mistakes of others. I want to make a build log that clears the air of any misconceptions with the model in case someone is hesitant to build it based off the reputation it's earned from the elite modelers. So that's why I am here... Anyways! A little about me. I live in the great state of Colorado, the great fourteeners peeking through my windows. History has always had a reserved spot in my heart. When I finish college I hope to work for the Smithsonian preserving my nations artifacts and history. Music has also always had a reserved spot in my heart too, I have played the French Horn for many years and I have also played the Bass guitar in Jazz Band, making it into the top bands wherever I have gone. I am set to preform in the Sydney Opera House, June 2024. I have experience making Plastic, Metal, Wood, and Paper models. There is not a single modeling style I have no experience in so if you have any questions let me know. I cannot wait to get started on my next build, which wont be for a little less than a month, but we will be there in no time. Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you all are having a great morning, afternoon, evening, etc. Thanks!

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A warm welcome to MSW from the UK. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome, Deyson. Looks like you started out the hard way, but you've struggled through, made a second model more suitable to starting out, and you're off and running!

Don't forget to start a build log for your San Juan - go to the section marked Build Logs for ship Model Kits and then to Kit Build Logs for subjects built from 1751-1800 and follow the instructions at Before you post your build log please read this - Starting and naming your build log

A build log is a great way to get help and advice, ask questions from our helpful and knowledgeable members, and of course show off your model's progress. And have fun with it!

Steven

Welcome to MSW.  Had to look up fourteeners, and see that they are mountains over 14,000 feet.  Gotta be gorgeous.

French horn and bass guitar.......  ahhh a man of many talents. 

IF you get frustrated with your first choice, do look at the three model series designed by David Antscherl from Model Shipways.  They will help you develop good habits and explain how planking and other construction details are supposed to be done rather than following make believe practices.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Deyson and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have come to the right site to build your skills on ship modeling.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome. Just remember the essential fact of anything worth doing.

The first step in building a great ship model is to... build a less great ship model.

Even the most amazing builders you will see did less amazing work while they learned, and that less amazing work is what allowed them to make the amazing work. Plus, only they will realize it is less amazing work - to everyone else it's awesome.

Regards,

George

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Hello and welcome to Model Ship World.  Sounds like you are on the right track with a few projects under your belt..

Looking forward to seeing your San Juan….

Have fun in Sydney!

Cheers,

-Rich